9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 6:49 AM by the_wine_snob

DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"

SciFi 7 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I initially had a lot of problems with PE8. However the nVidia driver update solved most of them.

Just thought it was important to report success as well as failure!

However one problem remains. I get the following error at the 96% mark while burning. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use". It is always at the 96% mark and the program is "compiling [something]" when this happens.

Having searched this site I notice that user rgferg posted a similar problem 13 days ago but was redirected to repost in a different place, but never did.

I have tried to burn a 1hr clip 4 times and every time I have selected the slower burn speed (8MB/s) as has been suggested. It seems that inferior media is a culprit, so I have bought some [quality] Verbatim DVD-R media to try in my Phillips SATA optical drive. I am sceptical this will work, but open minded nonetheless. I will give it a whirl when my computer has stopped capturing the VHS I am working on.

Each time the burn failed the disk was automatically ejected and the burn process had actually started and progressed perhaps ~40% or so.

This indicates to me that it is a drive sharing issue, rather than a media issue. Somewhere on this forum it suggests that I go through a 20+ step process and delete/disable every piece of software that can compete with Premiere among other things. IF I do this what do I burn with outside of Adobe? Do I have to get imgburn or whatever it was called? What if I like Nero? Nero 6 has worked great for me for 3 years.

So given I am willing to uninstall my old optical drive burning software, who out there can recommened commercial software that for them creates a painless Adobe burning experience with no errors or conflicts? Perhaps there is another solution that I did not see on this forum?

I am running Windows XP SP3. I have the latest nVidia drivers for my SLI GeForce 7600 GS cards. I have 3 monitors. RAID 0 SATA, 2GB RAM, Athlon X2 5400.

Justin.

• 1. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
          SciFi 7 Level 1

OK been working through the list of 20 things Adobe recommends to fix DVD burn error. No luck yet:

1. system meets minimum requirements
          2. Project size does not exceed disk capacity
          3. successfully burned project to DVD folder -thus skip to step 8.

8.   Using new blank media for burning

9.   Try different media and DVD burners. Bought Verbatim DVD-R. Don't have another DVD burner. Adobe's supported burner list is VERY short, so of course mine is not on it.

10.  Uninstalled Nero 6. Did NOT uninstall Acronis True Image workstation or Lightscribe. These do not access the drive unless I say so!

11.  Have not yet disabled startup items and services. This will take a lot of work and will leave to last. Deactivated Spybot thus far.....

12.  Disabled IMAPI CD burning COM

13.  DMA if available already set. Haven't set this in BIOS yet. I already think it is, but will check next boot.

14.  Updated DVD firmware

15.  Already updated nVidia drivers

16.  Don't have any other DVD drives to disconnect.

17.  MPEG workaround. Will resort to if required.

18.  Disable Autoplay? XP only has "prompt me each time to choose an action". I have set this for ALL file types.

19.  Have NOT refreshed the DVD drivers in the registry. This step involves uninstalling PE8. Will leave this as last resort.

20.  Visit forums to see if other have the same problem. Hi guys

So still working through some of the items above.

Can anyone direct me to advice on how to write the encoded files sent to the hard drive, or the VOB files that PE8 failed to burn to a disk? Will the former work with DVD menus?

What a process.

Stay tuned.

Justin.

• 2. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Since you apparently are able to burn to a folder on your hard drive but not directly to a DVD disc, the problem is most likely that another program (Nero, for instance) is interferring with communications between Premiere Elements and your DVD burner. This is very common.

Rather than fighting with it, the easiest solution is simply to burn your files to your hard drive and then use Nero (or whatever your burner program is) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a playable disc. This process takes no more time and offer a number of advantages, including the fact that it makes making several copies of your DVD very easy.

• 3. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
              nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

the easiest solution is simply to burn your files to your hard drive and then use Nero (or whatever your burner program is) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a playable disc

Just be sure when using a burner that you select the option for a DVD to be played in a DVD player. In Nero (v7) this is described as DVD-Video.

nero1.jpg

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
                SciFi 7 Level 1

Thanks for the replies. Using a third party will be the

workaround. Nothing else I tried has worked.

Do these files that I am burning to a DVD movie include the menu I created? That seems to be in a separate folder called OpenDVD. My burning software rejected this folder. It only wanted to burn VIDEO_TS to DVD. I am using the free but full version of Ashampo 2010.

Justin.

• 5. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
                  nealeh Level 5

VIDEO_TS is the only one to burn and includes all your menus. The other is just a temporary folder PRE uses.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale says, your Menus and your navigation are included in the first VOB file.

As for things and programs, that can get in the way of using any Adobe program to burn, this ARTICLE should be useful, especially some of the links.

Other burning problems can be caused by the blank media used. This ARTICLE goes into a bit of detail on that.

Also, I did not recall seeing instructions to update the burner's firmware, in the list of things to check. If not, then check with the mfgr's Web site for newer firmware.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
                      SciFi 7 Level 1

Well I have a workaround thanks to you all until such time as Adobe updates their burning software. Hey if Nero, Roxio et al can gain exclusive access to the burner, Adobe can code that too. But based on another comment I saw in this forum I will not hold my breath for that patch.

It was much simpler to just use third party software to burn the VIDEO_TS directory to DVD than go through ALL of the 20 steps Adobe recommends to troubleshoot the DVD burning issues. The DVD menu was indeed included on the disk despite my concerns.

I had never burned a movie DVD before. Always data. My burner software did not have an option to give the MOVIE DVD a name of my choosing. Is this normal? Of course it really doesn't matter, except if the DVD is played, or sitting on a computer DVD drive. Just a detail.

Justin.

• 8. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
                        nealeh Level 5

Good to hear that it worked for you.

I'm not familiar with the Ashampo product but I'm very surprised if it doesn't allow for naming the disk. Look for fields named "ISO 9600" or "Joliet" - these are both disk label standards.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: DVD Burn problem. "Device error - the target device isn't suitable for use"
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          if Nero, Roxio et al can gain exclusive access to the burner, Adobe can code that too.

The big problem is when this happens. With the case of InCD, et al, this is done at boot up, long before Adobe gets into the act. It basically fools the OS into thinking that the burner is really a physical HDD, and tells it to treat it as such. Poor Adobe comes in later and asks the OS where the burner is. The OS tells it, "hey, there isn't any burner, just a HDD." Adobe scratches its head, wondering why the user wants to try and burn, when there is no burner. Any coding on Adobe's part would have to intercept Nero's/Roxio's instructions, and stop them from loading InCD/DLA. That would be problematic, when one goes to use drag-n-drop - would not happen. Now, if InCD/DLA were written so that the OS still knew the burner WAS a burner, but to also treat it as an HDD, when necessary, things would be perfect.

Personally, if I need to transfer data to a DVD/CD, I do that with ImgBurn, or similar, and just do not do drag-n-drop, especially as such a disc can be highly problematic with any other computer, or drive. I still have a very old copy of Roxio on a semi-retired computer, just to read such discs for years back - you have to have the right copy of InCD, or DLA, installed to get that data back. No, drag-n-drop is not what many think that it is.

Good luck,

Hunt