7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 9:37 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1

NEIL MYERS

I am trying to decide on which video card to get with my new Windows 7 desktop.  I run CS4 Master Suite, mostly:

Premiere Pro

After Effects

Photoshop

My criteria would be:

1.Stability.

2. Performance (most importantly for PP and AE, less so for PS)

3. Quiet.  I don't want a jet engine in my office.

4. Price.  I will spend whatever it takes, but less is more!

I have been researching this for days and cannot figure out what the answer is.  I see on the PPBM project that the top machines use a ATI HD4870, but I have also seen some reviews that this card can be pretty noisy.

In case it matters, here are the specs on my new machine:

The new machine is a Dell XPS 9000 (basically a newer version of my current machine).  It will sport:

1 Intel Core i7-920 processor (4 cores)

12     GB RAM

One 1 TB OS drive (SATA) (WD Caviar Green variable speed)

One Project RAID 0 array with 3 drives of 2TB each (SATA) (WD Caviar Green variable speed)

Dual 30" 2560 x 1600 monitors

(I will be posting a seperate question about the RAID project drive ... I see some discussion on this board that perhaps I would be better off with 3 seperate drives.  I will be asking about that seperately)

Comments?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!.

• 1. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Exchange all your GREEN disks for regular 7200 models. You will profit from the better speed. Better yet, get a separate Velociraptor as a boot disk.

While the 4870 is a decent card, the 58xx series is much better. It runs cooler and faster, but with the upcoming CS5 release and MAYBE the inclusion of MPE, an alternative is the nVidia GTX285.

Look specifically at the storage guide here: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 2. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

+1 on the very slow green drives

for Adobe you never want an ATI card

nVidia is Cuda enabled and off loads some of the load to GPU.

with upcoming CS5 and the Mercury engine you have very very few choices. all are nVidia

and higher Quadro series. (which give no absolutely no performance gain over the 285) in fact most of the quadro are based on the much slower 260.

nVidia managed to get Adobe to agree to this can you guess why?

hopefully before release they will at least support the 295 and (doubtfully the 260)

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              for Adobe you never want an ATI card

Based on what? It just happens that ATI has the best price/performance and never let me down.

• 4. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

Hey Harm,

until very recently nVidia was by far more powerful and price point was the better choice

ATI now can compete however no Cuda support.

Adobe has had basic Cuda since CS3, much improved in CS4 and now with the mercury engine anyone who does not have

a supported card will wish they did.

also until the last few yrs ATI drivers were buggy as heck.

i love the new ATI series that can do 3 monitor out but alas no Mercury support

we have beta CS5 here and it makes a big diff.

Scott

• 5. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>we have beta CS5 here and it makes a big diff

Since beta testers must sign an NDA... you may have just made it so you will never again be a beta tester

• 6. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

uhh no. i didnt say anything you cant read on Adobes website already

• 7. Re: Video card for Premiere Pro 4.1
                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

"Exchange all your GREEN disks for regular 7200 models."

Also the Green disks symbolize a futile attempt to maintain the world's current "cooled" state.  A warmer earth being a huge benefit to all of mankind.  Greenland could actually be green land, utilized for food production for the world's growing population.  Perhaps we could see the return of  the ancient forests of Antarctica.  People would no longer freeze to death in Siberia and penguins would no longer die in their march in the harsh arctic climate.

I personally can't, in good conscience buy "Green" hard drives.  It's all really just a conspiracy directed at us professional video editors I say.