19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8

Peg Purser

I am having a problem with getting my video to display in the monitor box.  I have spent a couple of hours with tech support, have updated my NVIDIA driver though the program has never crashed, have removed all other video-related programs, have removed and reinstalled PRE 8.  The result is that the program seems to be doing okay except for showing the clips in the monitor.  If I scrub the pink bar under it in Timeline or scrub the start line in sceneline, it shows, but when I hit play, all I get is the audio (which is attached to the video file, not a separate audio I imported).  What am I doing wrong or not doing?  It worked in PRE 7, but I am a real novice and have about a total of 2 hours of experience in Premiere Elements.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
          nealeh Level 5

What was the video recorded on and how did you get it on your PC?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            program seems to be doing okay except for showing the clips in the monitor.  If I scrub the pink bar under it in Timeline or scrub the start line in sceneline, it shows, but when I hit play, all I get is the audio (which is attached to the video file, not a separate audio I imported).

Along with the very important answer to Neale's question on the full details of the source media, is this the "pink bar?"

Render_Timeline.jpg

Is so, that indicates that your footage needs to be Rendered for smooth playback. This is done via the Enter key. It only affects playback, and is only used for that.

Depending on the answer to Neale's question, there might be other suggestions forthcoming.

Good luck, and hope that this helps.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
              Peg Purser Level 1

Thanks Bill and Neale.  My camcorder is a Sony Handycam DCR-HC52.  I didn't use PRE to download but used a Sony capture program that created a xxx.dv file. In my earlier email I was mixing up Timeline and Sceneline - below is the "pink" (really more purply mauve) bar I was talking about (I outlined the screen dump to delineate the white monitor box from this message).  Above it is the Monitor (dark grey) with the white supposed video -- blank white box.  If I click on the scene in sceneline and then click on the white box in monitor, the single frame appears in the monitor but when I hit the play arrow under pinky-purply-mauve tracking bar, it goes away, the white box returns but the audio is there.  Same thing happens in timeline mode.  When I grab the left "start" arrow in either the sceneline bar below or the timeline at the actual frames, and scrub over, the video shows back up in the monitor.  I am not quite understanding the "rendered for smooth playback" answer, but will check it out now and see if I can understand it and if it works.  I will also re-capture the video using Premiere Elements -- I am assuming I can to do that like I can in Photoshop Elements with stills.

Thanks again!!!

sceneline screen shot.jpg

• 4. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, when you switch to Timeline View Mode, is there a red line above the Clips?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                  Peg Purser Level 1

No red line above the clips in Timeline.  Should there be?  Just a vertical one at the left edge -- with the start (solid V) to show where we are.

Also, I tried what I thought was meant by rendering -- I placed the cursor over the clips in timeline hit Enter -- nothing happened (monitor still just had white box but audio) and then over the scene in sceneline, hit Enter with same result -- sound and still no video. 

I double clicked the timeline clips and sceneline box and file in the project panel and each time it opened a preview window that did play the video fine, but still nothing in the monitor panel.   

I went to Edit/Project Settings/General/Playback Settings and tried every possible combinations of options there to no avail.  I opened the file in Qucktime and it opened fine and ran.  

In Quicktime/Movie Inspector and it showed

Format is DV/VCPRO-NTSC, 640x480, Millions, DV, Stereo, 32kHz

Movie FPS is 29.97 as is Playing FPS

Data Rate is 57.58 mbits/sec

Dueration is 00:38:56.64

Normal side and current size are 640x480 pixels

Don't know if any of that helps but that is what the Adobe help site recommended I check out. 

Obviously, I don't know what I am doing but this shouldn't be this hard, I wouldn't think. 

Thanks for your help. 

Peg

• 6. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may also want to go to the Apple site and download the latest version of Quicktime and then go to the ATI or nVidia site and download the latest

drivers for your video card. These drivers and programs solve a much larger number of these types of problems than you'd think!

• 7. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Peg,

Either no line, or a green line, indicates that your footage doesn't need Rendering. That is why nothing happened, when you pressed Enter.

That V and line are your CTI (Current Time Indicator) and the "attached" Edit Line, showing you exactly where you are in the Timeline.

Now a sidenote on Rendering. There are two ways to Render the Timeline, or parts of it. Hitting Enter will Render the entire Timeline. If one only wanted to Render a smaller part of the Timeline, they could adjust the WAB (Work Area Bar) to just include a Clip, several Clips, or even parts of a Clip. Then, Enter's Rendering would be limited to that area. The WAB is also shown in that attached image. This can be very useful if one is working with say Transitions, and they want the best playback of just the area they are working on - rather than Render the entire Timeline, they would only Render that portion under the WAB. In many of the Export/Share options, one can also just output the WAB area of the Timeline. This is used if one is making small discrete Clips from a much larger one, so it has rather a dual role.

If your footage doesn't need Rendering, then I'd look to Steve's advice on the video driver, and Apple's QuickTime Player. These can affect playback too.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                        Peg Purser Level 1

Thanks, guys for all your help.  It is fixed, but why I don't know.  I had downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver yesterday at the start of this mess as well as seeing I had latest Quick Time (which had been working with the videos as had the preview window in PRE).  I re-captured 2 video clips using PRE and created AVI files instead of DV files.  That didn't seem to improve things.  Well, I  had the 2 AVU video clips in the project -- neither would display in the monitor panel and I added a 3rd clip from a tutorial DVD I have.  I just wanted to see if that clip worked.  It did.  I then moved it to the first and it worked as did the otehr 2 clips.  Then I removed it and the 2 others still worked.  Then I closed the project completely and opened a new project, got a DV vdieo clip from the the first non-PRE capture and it works.  I have NO idea why getting a tutorial clip from someone else and dropping it in fixed the problem, but it seemed to have done so. 

Thanks again for all the help and I am sorry to be so ignorant about all of this.  I hope to learn quickly when I am not so frustrated!!!  If anyone has  any ideas as to why the fix worked, I would be interested in knowing because it makes no logical sense to me. 

Peg

• 9. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                          Peg Purser Level 1

Thanks, Steve. Those were actually the 1st things I did prior to spending an hour on the phone with Adobe Tech Support and then posting the problem on the web.  You will see from my posting just now that the problem seems fixed but I haven't a clue how.  I have a DVD from Lynda.com with exercise files and when I got one of the video clips there, it worked and then it started working with my video clips.  Go figure!!!  Magic, I guess. 

Peg

• 10. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Peg,

I've been editing video with Adobe products for a very long time. However, I do not have a clue as to why things worked, as they did for you. We are both in the same boat, scratching our heads! Odd, but if it works...

Good luck and happy editing, plus thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                              Peg Purser Level 1

Thanks for the information.  I didn't understand the rendering bit.  I still don't but your explanation helps me know what the lines mean and how and when to render. 

As I mentioned in my latest post, I did have the latest Quick Time and I did

download the latest NVIDIA driver before calling Adobe yesterday morning or

posting the first question.  I still don't know how it got "fixed" but it

seems to be working now.  Magic, I guess.  Maybe it is the full moon

Thanks again for your info on rendering and your earlier help!!!

Peg

• 12. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Peg,

I usually blame "phases of the Moon," when things that should not go bad - do. Maybe it works the other way around too!

Just so long as things are working, edit away.

As for Rendering, that is just for smooth playback. When playback is choppy, it really can help. Since I am using DV material from tape mostly, I seldom Render, but if I am doing a lot of Keyframe animation, or have applied certain Transitions, will do so, just to study my results in the best possible playback. Otherwise, I'll have dozens of Projects, that are never Rendered, red line, or not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                  Peg Purser Level 1

Thanks again for your help.  I am sure you and the others will get tired of

my newbie questions on the forum.  I don't post till I am frustrated but

once I am, watch out!!!

• 14. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry about the questions. We love answering them.

Many times we get posts to old threads, saying "thanks," as they were helped by the replies contained. That is the beauty of these fora: first, they usually get answers to the person, who posts the question, but then stand to help others, maybe years later.

Hunt

BTW - when I added PrE to my toolbox, I read every thread in the forum (before the changeover), and still had a ton of "really simple ones" of my own. Even after having used PrPro for many years, PrE was enough of a departure, that I had to ask for help in locating some very switches, and finding simple solutions, that were right in front of me, however just called something else. The forum members let ME stick around!

• 15. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                      Peg Purser Level 1

Well, it is not working again.  Seems that when I shut down the computer and restarted it later, the files quit working in the PRE8 Monitor.  I can still bring in a short video from a lynda.com tutorial and then attach other videos behind it, but if I delete the tutorial video I get mixed results.  Even sometimes that same tutorial video won't show in the monitor when I get it initially.  When it does work and I delete it, either the monitor goes blank, it works till I save and reopen, it keeps working after a close/reopen, it never works when I shut down the computer and restart.  Everything works in the preview window when I double click the timeline, sceneline or icon in "projects".  All of them work in Quick Time.  I have tried videos captured by Windows Movie Maker, PRE8, PRE7, Sony's little capture program, AVS 4 You.  I do have latest NVIDIA driver, latest Quick Time, dual-core processor (2.71 GHz), 8 Gig of RAM, Windows XP SP3.  I have tried DV and AVI both.   I uninstalled all the AVS 4 You programs thinking maybe they were conflicting.  I uninstalled and reinstalled PRE8.  I have spent about 3 hours on the phone with Adobe and they don't know.  They don't even understand what I am talking about.

As I mentioned in earlier post, I tried rendering and not rendering -- there is not a red line, so it seems to not need rendering.  I only used PRE 7 a couple of times but they worked in that version and aren't working in PRE 8.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I saw a post from someone whose monitor is "fading" -- related problem???

• 16. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                        nealeh Level 5

Peg Purser wrote:

Well, it is not working again.... I have tried videos captured by Windows Movie Maker, PRE8, PRE7, Sony's little capture program, AVS 4 You. ... I have tried DV and AVI both.   I uninstalled all the AVS 4 You programs thinking maybe they were conflicting.  I uninstalled and reinstalled PRE8.

There could be a lot of different codecs used by all those programs, and it is not unusual for sloppy uninstall routines to leave them behind. It may be worthwhile downloading the freeware Revo Uninstaller. When you run Revo it initially runs the applications own uninstall routine, but then goes deeper looking at files left behind and/or registry entries not properly removed.

Something Bill & Steve often recommend is to import from camera into Windows MovieMaker then use WMM to export the footage as DV-AVI Type 2. Use the WMM included in XP sp3 - 'Live Essentials Movie Maker' does not have the export feature.

Finally I noticed that your audio is 32kHZ. I wonder if you are able to convert it to 48kHZ before it hits PRE? (Clutching at straws now!).

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                          Peg Purser Level 1

Straws are good for clutching.  I will try what you suggest.  Thanks!!!

• 18. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                            Peg Purser Level 1

Well, guys thanks for your help but never did get PRE8's monitor panel to work consistently. After over 4 hours with Adobe tech support, 2 hours with my computer company that built the computer, trying all the helps in this forum, I uninstalled and installed PRE7.  Works like t dream.  I did send a "bug notice" to Adobe so if I am not the only one with the problem, maybe they can find the cause and fix it for others.

Now that I have the program working, I have to figure out how to use it, so you might be hearing from me again.  Let me give a plug though to lynda.com and their training tutorials for PRE7 and 8.  They are excellent and hopefully will guide me through this complicated video I am trying to create.

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments.  They didn't work on this issue, but they gave me a lot of good knowledge and base info about videos and PRE!  Good work!

Peg

• 19. Re: Problem with Monitor box on PRE 8
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Peg,

Sorry that things never did work out with PrE 8. Filing the Bug Report is the correct way to handle that part, as it will likely give Adobe info needed to replicate your issue and get to work on a fix.

As you progress through your learning, please do not hesitate to drop back by with any questions. Hopefully, we can do a better job next time. I hate it, when we cannot solve a problem.

You'll probably want to create a new thread, so that responders do not get confused with issues in this issue, and also so that new comers can see a title that reflects the new question.

Don't be a stranger!

Good luck,

Hunt