7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 6:03 AM by kozzee

Recording Keys do not work

riggsdar1

I'm using a Dell laptop with WinXP and Captivate 4.

When recording, none of the keys work to capture or end a recording, for example, when using Manual Recording, pressing Print Screen does not capture the screen, when using Automatic Recording, pressing End does not stop the recording, Pause does not pause it, F8 does not resume, etc.

This is making it very difficult to capture menus and submenus.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

dar

• 1. Re: Recording Keys do not work
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

Please, could you check the Key settings in Edit, Preferences, Recording, Keys? Do you use the keyboard of the laptop itself or an external (USB/Bluetooth) keyboard? Just trying to find out the cause.

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: Recording Keys do not work
            riggsdar1 Level 1

I've checked the settings in preferences to make sure I'm using the correct keys. I was using the keyboard on the laptop but the IT guys gave me a USB keyboard to try but that didn't work either.

I can use manual recording with ALT+R as long as the application isn't active, but once the app is active, that key combo brings up a reports menu in the program. I can possible change the key combo used for manual capture I was wanting to use the automatic capture so I wouldn't have to mess with that.

I've also tried the print screen key which the manual says can be used with manual recording but that doesn't work either, nor does changing the key combo associated with it.

-dar

• 3. Re: Recording Keys do not work
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

Sometimes we see that Captivate simply doesn't like working with a specific application. Just to be certain it's this situation and not a generic situation with recording, try opening something like Windows Notepad and try to record that. Does it work? If so, Captivate is working just fine and you now have an issue where it just doesn't work well with one application. If that's the case, you have an option. Establish a remote desktop connection where the actual application is running on a different PC. You then run Captivate on your PC and control the application from your PC where Captivate is running and record that way.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

• 4. Re: Recording Keys do not work
                kozzee

I'm having the same issues with the Pause/Resume key. I've read other posts regarding this and tried all options. None work.  I'm using Cap4, Full Motion Record with audio and cannot Pause during recording. I've tried recording other software like MS Word and even this webpage and Pause won't work. I also tried the Remote Desktop option and Pause on that....Nope, nothing.  I've remapped my keys just in case it needed something different. Nothing. Still looking for an answer.......

• 5. Re: Recording Keys do not work
                  Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

I believe the answer here is that the Pause key has no effect when you are choosing to capture in Full Motion Recording (FMR) mode. I just tested this myself and it doesn't pause the recording.

To each his or her own, but we seldom (if ever) recommend that a project be created using FMR. This results in really huge file sizes and very limited editing possibilities.

My suggestion for you if you wish to use FMR and you wish to pause while recording would be to use the standard "slide by slide" capture mode. But immediately upon beginning the recording process, tap the F9 key to begin FMR. When you wish to pause, tap F10 to exit FMR. If you have other actions to perform, tap the Pause key to pause slide-by-slide recording. Tap Pause again to resume, then F9 to re-enter FMR.

Incidentally, I also tried kicking off FMR during a slide-by-slide recording and Pause doesn't work there either. At least not on my own setup.

Likely you will come back saying that this is all a bunch of rot and Pause should just WORK dadgummit! And about all I can say to that is that I'm simply reporting the way it appears to behave. If you feel it should work and isn't working as advertised, you need to report it to Adobe as a bug or an Enhancement Request. (link is in my sig)

Hopefully this helps a bit... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

• 6. Re: Recording Keys do not work
                    Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello

For FMR there are only 2 keys available: F9 to start and F10 to stop. Is there a specific reason why you want to record in Full Motion. It is not the best way for capturing with CP. CP excels in recording with static slides (Automatic recording or Manual Recording), and it will switch to FMR (if you use Automatic Recording) whenever necessary: such as for drag and drop. This results in smaller file size and editing gives you a lot more control. The Pause key is working in Automatic Recording, Print Screen too. Please try to capture in Automatic recording mode (the still camera in the small toolbar in the red capture window) and check the keystrokes.

Lilybiri

PS: sorry, Rick, we were typing again at the same moment.

• 7. Re: Recording Keys do not work
                      kozzee Level 1

Thanks to both of you for your response.  I was trying to use Captivate for something that it wasn't quite designed to do....record design meetings and post them for others to review later. I know there are other products that do this, but there was a cost involved. I was testing to see if Cap4 could possibly do the job. The Pause/Resume feature was the main reason it was even considered in the first place. But since having our meeting, and me reporting that this was no longer an option, they are looking at other avenues.  But thanks for your input on the Pause/Resume for FMR.