4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 3:05 PM by Russell_MTL

Use Square Pixels for Flash Video Projects?

rproulxmtl Level 1

When I shoot with a dSLR like a D3s are the pixels square? If so, should I also configure the format setup for the project to use Square Pixels instead of the NTSC pixel shape if the only use of the vidio is to create Web Flash videos?

Thanks

Russell

• 1. Re: Use Square Pixels for Flash Video Projects?
          Matt Petersen Level 3

Nikon says 1280 x 720 (i.e. 1.77, i.e. 16x9) says "square pixels" to me, but I must say I havn't seen the footage first hand. There are two "lower" recording modes that aren't 16:9.

If there isn't a matching project preset, I'd probably just set one up in Desktop mode, and bump out to flash from there.

I'm sure someone will be able to shed more light on it than that.

MP

• 2. Re: Use Square Pixels for Flash Video Projects?
            Russell_MTL

Matt Petersen wrote:

Nikon says 1280 x 720 (i.e. 1.77, i.e. 16x9) says "square pixels" to me, but I must say I havn't seen the footage first hand. There are two "lower" recording modes that aren't 16:9.

If there isn't a matching project preset, I'd probably just set one up in Desktop mode, and bump out to flash from there.

I'm sure someone will be able to shed more light on it than that.

MP

I've been following Harm's advice that when I set up my project I "make a custom/desktop sequence that exactly matches your footage.".That's been working VERY well for the frame size(shape). But I also see choices for Pixel Aspect Ratio and Fields.

I assume 'No Fields (Progressive Scan)" is ok but since I did not shoot either NTSC nor Pal then I thought I should probably choose "Square Pixels".Is there a problem with doing this, or does it even matter?

Thanks,

Russell

• 3. Re: Use Square Pixels for Flash Video Projects?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm is just following Adobe Premiere's advice to set up a sequence accordently to the footage.

If the footage is square pixels then you set up square pixels.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS630B3868-F095-46fe-8690-A5BDBCFD6EC8.html

Look under General Settings.

You can even make your own preset.

• 4. Re: Use Square Pixels for Flash Video Projects?
                Russell_MTL Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

Look under General Settings. You can even make your own preset.

Thanks Ann .. good link! --- yes, I need to read the manual (but I'm a guy <g>)

Since you shoot with a Nikon, and have done video with it and PPro, do you know of any Nikon-centric video forums where folks help each other?

I found cinema5D.com. But as its name suggests, it's pretty well a Canon-centric site. And this forum seems to be mostly for folks shooting with more conventional equipment and formats.

R-)