14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2007 8:07 AM by barbun

OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down

Level 7
      My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a couple of
      years now, has several times recently done this: I'm working away, and
      abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.

Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might be,
      and what I might ought to do about it?

It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot in the
      room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm suspecting that,
      although it's a totally uninformed guess.

Many thanks in advance,

--
      Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
      www.WebDevBiz.com
      Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
      Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
      --

• 1. Re: Laptop abruptly shuts down
          Level 7
          Your Power Board may be going. Take it in for a diagnostic. In my case it
          was too much to repair so I use it as a door stop. Mine was a Sony Vaio of
          approx the same age.

--Nancy O.
          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
          www.alt-web.com

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <pattyayersTAKETHISOUT@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message
          news:fd1lde$17r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a couple
          of
          > years now, has several times recently done this: I'm working away, and
          > abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.
          >
          > Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might be,
          > and what I might ought to do about it?
          >
          > It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot in
          the
          > room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm suspecting that,
          > although it's a totally uninformed guess.
          >
          > Many thanks in advance,
          >
          > --
          > Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
          > www.WebDevBiz.com
          > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
          > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
          > --
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Laptop abruptly shuts down
            Level 7
            Hm, a laptop of a certain age, eh? LOL. Thanks, Nancy.. I'll consider doing
            that, and meanwhile definitely make backups.

--
            www.WebDevBiz.com
            --

"Nancy O" <nancyoshea1@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
            news:fd1lo8$1e7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Your Power Board may be going. Take it in for a diagnostic. In my case
            > it
            > was too much to repair so I use it as a door stop. Mine was a Sony Vaio
            > of
            > approx the same age.
            >
            >
            > --Nancy O.
            > Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            > www.alt-web.com
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > "P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <pattyayersTAKETHISOUT@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in
            > message
            > news:fd1lde$17r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a couple
            > of
            >> years now, has several times recently done this: I'm working away, and
            >> abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.
            >>
            >> Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might be,
            >> and what I might ought to do about it?
            >>
            >> It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot in
            > the
            >> room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm suspecting that,
            >> although it's a totally uninformed guess.
            >>
            >> Many thanks in advance,
            >>
            >> --
            >> Patty Ayers | Adobe Community Expert
            >> www.WebDevBiz.com
            >> Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
            >> Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
            >> --
            >>
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Laptop abruptly shuts down
              Level 7
              It could very well be overheating. Computers, laptops in particular, have
              temperature sensors so it will shut down before something burns up.

- Can you hear the fan going?

- When the laptop's off, can you blow into the fan vent and hear the fan
              turn when you do it? If not it might be gunked up and not cooling well
              anymore.

- If you want to check the temperature and have manual control over the fan,
              go to http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/.

MD

P@tty Ayers ~ACE wrote:
              > My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a
              > couple of years now, has several times recently done this: I'm
              > working away, and abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.
              >
              > Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might
              > be, and what I might ought to do about it?
              >
              > It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot
              > in the room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm
              > suspecting that, although it's a totally uninformed guess.
              >
              >
              > --
              > www.WebDevBiz.com

• 4. Re: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                Level 7
                I was having a silimar problem with my HP laptop. I purchased a laptop
                cooler and have had no trouble since.

Michael

news:fd1lde$17r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a couple
                > of years now, has several times recently done this: I'm working away, and
                > abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.
                >
                > Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might be,
                > and what I might ought to do about it?
                >
                > It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot in
                > the room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm suspecting that,
                > although it's a totally uninformed guess.
                >
                >
                > --
                > www.WebDevBiz.com
                > --
                >
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                  Level 7
                  I'll check this out tomorrow morning. Thanks very much, MD.

--
                  www.WebDevBiz.com
                  --

"Mad Dog" <md@maddogproductions-remove.com> wrote in message
                  news:fd1muf$2j5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > It could very well be overheating. Computers, laptops in particular, have
                  > temperature sensors so it will shut down before something burns up.
                  >
                  > - Can you hear the fan going?
                  >
                  > - When the laptop's off, can you blow into the fan vent and hear the fan
                  > turn when you do it? If not it might be gunked up and not cooling well
                  > anymore.
                  >
                  > - If you want to check the temperature and have manual control over the
                  > fan, go to http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/.
                  >
                  > MD
                  >
                  >
                  > P@tty Ayers ~ACE wrote:
                  >> My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a
                  >> couple of years now, has several times recently done this: I'm
                  >> working away, and abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.
                  >>
                  >> Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might
                  >> be, and what I might ought to do about it?
                  >>
                  >> It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot
                  >> in the room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm
                  >> suspecting that, although it's a totally uninformed guess.
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> www.WebDevBiz.com
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                    Level 7
                    Really - I've never heard of those. Thanks very much for letting me know.

--
                    www.WebDevBiz.com
                    --

"Michael" <mdbrower@gmail.com> wrote in message
                    news:fd1rsd$74m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I was having a silimar problem with my HP laptop. I purchased a laptop
                    >cooler and have had no trouble since.
                    >
                    > Michael
                    >
                    >
                    > "P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <pattyayersTAKETHISOUT@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in
                    > message news:fd1lde$17r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, well-behaved and trouble-free for a couple
                    >> of years now, has several times recently done this: I'm working away, and
                    >> abruptly it shuts down. Running Windows XP Pro.
                    >>
                    >> Can anyone give me an idea of why this might be, how serious it might be,
                    >> and what I might ought to do about it?
                    >>
                    >> It seems to get to a high temperature on the underside, and it's hot in
                    >> the room where I work, and a hot lamp is next to it - I'm suspecting
                    >> that, although it's a totally uninformed guess.
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> www.WebDevBiz.com
                    >> --
                    >>
                    >>
                    >>
                    >

• 7. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                      Level 7

> My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop,

One- have you checked to see if the battery is covered by the dell battery
                      recall? Remember the flaming laptop at a convention when the lithium
                      battery overheated and torched off?
                      http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

Two- My best guess would be dust on the processor heatsink. Laptop processor
                      heatsinks are tiny and usually have very small fine fins like a fine tooth
                      comb and can get dust clogged very easily. If you have a cat or dog the
                      chance is cubed.

brute force method- can of bottled air from camera/computer supply store and
                      blow it into the intake then exhaust vents on the bottom. Downside- this can
                      spread the dust and gunk inside the case. It can get through openings inside
                      the case instead of venting outside of it.

Better- get the case opened and the heatsink and fans cleaned.

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                        Level 7
                        This link may lead to a pdf of a service manual for this model if you want
                        to crack the case yourself-

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/e
                        n/manuals

Too much info below:
                        I do hardware- but have given up on touching laptops or small form factor
                        computers for the most part. 50 year old eyes just can't do it when they
                        shrink things that much. Too hard to squint while holding a magnifying glass
                        and a flashlight and using an elbow to nudge something over a bit. A couple
                        weeks ago i took apart a 2002 imac (the half basketball base with a flat
                        screen) to confirm that the HD died. It had the click of death- the HD heads
                        just swung from one limit to the other without reading anything. The owner
                        just wanted the documents off it- they were gone unless he wanted to spend
                        500+ for one of those clean room drive recovery services. He left me the
                        imac for parts so i tossed a new drive in it and it lives again. But
                        damnation the parts were parked tight together in that thing.

I'd go with the slightly risky but cheap brute force fix of canned air.
                        {after fully backing it up}
                        If you don't want to risk all that released dust gumming up something else
                        in it, then call repair shops for quotes on opening the case and cleaning
                        the heatsink and air flow paths and checking that the fan(s) are working.

It comes down to is the cost of a pro cleaning of this older laptop worth
                        it, or should you save the cost of the cleaning and invest it in a new
                        laptop while the old one is still working well enough to transfer your stuff
                        off it.

• 9. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                          Level 7
                          Great information and advice, Alan - thank you very much. The first thing
                          I'm going to do is make a fresh backup! ...then consider my options. Much
                          appreciated.

--
                          www.WebDevBiz.com
                          --

"Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
                          news:C31A35F9.2DBE9F%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                          > This link may lead to a pdf of a service manual for this model if you want
                          > to crack the case yourself-
                          >
                          > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/e
                          > n/manuals
                          >
                          > Too much info below:
                          > I do hardware- but have given up on touching laptops or small form factor
                          > computers for the most part. 50 year old eyes just can't do it when they
                          > shrink things that much. Too hard to squint while holding a magnifying
                          > glass
                          > and a flashlight and using an elbow to nudge something over a bit. A
                          > couple
                          > weeks ago i took apart a 2002 imac (the half basketball base with a flat
                          > screen) to confirm that the HD died. It had the click of death- the HD
                          > heads
                          > just swung from one limit to the other without reading anything. The owner
                          > just wanted the documents off it- they were gone unless he wanted to spend
                          > 500+ for one of those clean room drive recovery services. He left me the
                          > imac for parts so i tossed a new drive in it and it lives again. But
                          > damnation the parts were parked tight together in that thing.
                          >
                          > I'd go with the slightly risky but cheap brute force fix of canned air.
                          > {after fully backing it up}
                          > If you don't want to risk all that released dust gumming up something else
                          > in it, then call repair shops for quotes on opening the case and cleaning
                          > the heatsink and air flow paths and checking that the fan(s) are working.
                          >
                          > It comes down to is the cost of a pro cleaning of this older laptop worth
                          > it, or should you save the cost of the cleaning and invest it in a new
                          > laptop while the old one is still working well enough to transfer your
                          > stuff
                          > off it.
                          >

• 10. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                            Level 7
                            And no, it's not the burst-into-flames model. :-)

--
                            www.WebDevBiz.com
                            --

news:fd34gt$g17$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Great information and advice, Alan - thank you very much. The first thing
                            > I'm going to do is make a fresh backup! ...then consider my options. Much
                            > appreciated.
                            >
                            >
                            > --
                            > www.WebDevBiz.com
                            > --
                            >
                            > "Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
                            > news:C31A35F9.2DBE9F%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                            >> This link may lead to a pdf of a service manual for this model if you
                            >> want
                            >> to crack the case yourself-
                            >>
                            >> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/e
                            >> n/manuals
                            >>
                            >> Too much info below:
                            >> I do hardware- but have given up on touching laptops or small form factor
                            >> computers for the most part. 50 year old eyes just can't do it when they
                            >> shrink things that much. Too hard to squint while holding a magnifying
                            >> glass
                            >> and a flashlight and using an elbow to nudge something over a bit. A
                            >> couple
                            >> weeks ago i took apart a 2002 imac (the half basketball base with a flat
                            >> screen) to confirm that the HD died. It had the click of death- the HD
                            >> heads
                            >> just swung from one limit to the other without reading anything. The
                            >> owner
                            >> just wanted the documents off it- they were gone unless he wanted to
                            >> spend
                            >> 500+ for one of those clean room drive recovery services. He left me the
                            >> imac for parts so i tossed a new drive in it and it lives again. But
                            >> damnation the parts were parked tight together in that thing.
                            >>
                            >> I'd go with the slightly risky but cheap brute force fix of canned air.
                            >> {after fully backing it up}
                            >> If you don't want to risk all that released dust gumming up something
                            >> else
                            >> in it, then call repair shops for quotes on opening the case and cleaning
                            >> the heatsink and air flow paths and checking that the fan(s) are working.
                            >>
                            >> It comes down to is the cost of a pro cleaning of this older laptop worth
                            >> it, or should you save the cost of the cleaning and invest it in a new
                            >> laptop while the old one is still working well enough to transfer your
                            >> stuff
                            >> off it.
                            >>
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                              Level 7
                              I know you think you're hot, but doesn't it just come in flashes now?
                              <ducks>

But seriously, if it's not heat your OS/registry might be fubarized, or
                              it might be the hard drive.
                              After the backup, nuke the hard drive (repartition it), reformat and do
                              a clean install of the OS. Get the OS patched to current and then
                              reinstall your apps.

Buy a notebook cooler. I just bought this one and it does a terrific job:
                              http://tinyurl.com/2fwbke

If after all that the problem persists, and if you don't have access to
                              hardware diagnostics, first replace the hard drive (hey, everyone can
                              use an extra drive anyway). If that doesn't help, replace the RAM. If
                              the problem remains, get a new 'puter.

-Corey
                              • 12. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                                Level 7
                                On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:02:29 -0500, Frozen Carp
                                <GOAWAYcorey@IMEANITyouneedawebstore.com> wrote:

>I know you think you're hot, but doesn't it just come in flashes now?
                                ><ducks>
                                >
                                >But seriously, if it's not heat your OS/registry might be fubarized, or
                                >it might be the hard drive.
                                >After the backup, nuke the hard drive (repartition it), reformat and do
                                >a clean install of the OS. Get the OS patched to current and then
                                >reinstall your apps.
                                >
                                >Buy a notebook cooler. I just bought this one and it does a terrific job:
                                > http://tinyurl.com/2fwbke
                                >
                                >If after all that the problem persists, and if you don't have access to
                                >hardware diagnostics, first replace the hard drive (hey, everyone can
                                >use an extra drive anyway). If that doesn't help, replace the RAM. If
                                >the problem remains, get a new 'puter.
                                >
                                >-Corey

These are all great suggestions, but I just replaced a guy's 40GIG
                                Dell hard drive and paid $43 for the new 40 GIG Seagate, 5400, free
                                shipping. I would do that rather than mess with all the backups. Just
                                pop it in, install OS and see if it's cured.
                                • 13. Re: OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                                  Level 7

It's a laptop. They have tempature sensors that WILL shut the machine down
                                  if it's overheated. Dust problems or fan failure will cause overheating. So
                                  check the machine for fan operation and clogged air pathways.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9200/sm/gilberac.htm#wp1008

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9200/sm/gilberad.jpg

The aluminum honeycomb to the left of the #1 is the heatsink. Dust blocking
                                  those small passages will cause the heatsink to not get rid of heat. (a fan
                                  blows air through the honeycomb area)

--
                                  Alan
                                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 14. OT: Laptop abruptly shuts down
                                    barbun
                                    You have worm installed. Download spyware software and clean it.