5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2010 12:49 AM by Adrtghhjj

Why does Premiere change Windows settings?

Adrtghhjj

[WinXP SP3, Premiere Pro 2, CS3]   Just after I install Premiere, if I minimize/maximize any window they display an animated effect which wasn't there before. I thought it resembled the Fade effect that comes with Windows (R-click on desktop> Properties> Appearance tab> Effects button> 1st list> Fade effect). But I knew for sure I had de-selected it when customizing Windows. Still, I double-checked it and I found that its validation box had been mysteriously re-selected. Another strange thing: the validation mark wasn't black but grey. I could deselect it, but next time I started Premiere I found it had been re-validated.

Why? And what can I do about it?

• 2. Re: Why does Premiere change Windows settings?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I've had PrPro on XP for years, and it never changed any setting in Windows. Something else is likely responsible. You can go to Control Panel>Display and adjust the various effects on how your windows display and behave. I'd just change it to the behavior that you want.

My guess is that some other program, say a video driver update (that included a change to the control console for the video card) did this. If it's grey, that indicates that it cannot be permanently changed. For that, I'd open the video driver's console and see what the settings are there.

Also, OS updates and hot-fixes can really mess up video drivers, and PrPro works very, very closely with these. If you do not have the latest video driver, get it and install it. There were recently a ton of updates and hot-fixes for XP, so one of those likely broke your video driver. Go to either the nVidia, or ATI site and get the very, very latest driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Why does Premiere change Windows settings?
            Adrtghhjj Level 1

@ Bill Hunt: You said "You can go to Control Panel>Display". That is just what I've said in my first post with "R-click on desktop> Properties> Appearance tab> Effects button> 1st list> Fade effect". As I said, I've already tried it- with no luck.

"My guess is that some other program, say a video driver update (that included a change to the control console for the video card) did this". Impossible. How come that before PrPro was installed everything was fine, the very first instant PrPro started running this problem appeared, and after PrPro was uninstalled, all was fine again?

Also I've installed Service Packs, patches and hotfixes and none caused this effect to happen.

• 4. Re: Why does Premiere change Windows settings?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That was just one of two possible locations. The second was the video card's control console.

I would still be most inclined to think that this is a video driver issue, and that something has changed that setting. Have you looked into updating your video driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why does Premiere change Windows settings?
                Adrtghhjj Level 1

Yes, I've updated my video driver to the latest and the problem is still there.