1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 1:34 AM by Mylenium

New PC - Recommend Hard Drive Set-up?

James Mala

Hi,

I have just built a new PC and I want to start using After Effects CS4 for some videos I began shooting. I know nothing of After Effects at the moment but I am beginning to use Lynda tutorials to start the basics. As I understand it however the configuration of the PC has a substantial impact on program performance, I was hoping therefore to get some adive.

My new system is:

- Core i7 920

- 6GB DDR3 memory (trip channel)

- 1 x 160 GB 7200 RPM drive (used for OS and installs)  (SATA)

- 2 x 1TB 7200 HDD (SATA)

- 1 ATI 4870 GFX card

From my old system I also have:

- 1 x 320 GB 7200 HDD (SATA)

- 1 x 160 GB 7200 HDD (SATA)

- 1 x 160 GB 7200 HDD (IDE)

I don't want to use all the old drive, or any if not necessary, but thought I'd mention them in case they can be useful.

I am not even installing CS4 until I get some advice so i don't get it wrong, could someone therefore give me tips on what I should use each HDD for? What settings should I turn on in AE i.e. Multiple frame rendering? Where do scratch disks go? How do I put cache on one of the HDD to speed up access? and anything else that will help.

I've read little bits all over the web about how it should be done but nothing directly related to my specs, any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

James

• 1. Re: New PC - Recommend Hard Drive Set-up?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What settings should I turn on in AE i.e. Multiple frame rendering?

Leave them off. Sorry, but with 6GB of RAM you can pretty much forget about that. Only for the simplest of projects that do not use large footage items would you be able to turn on MP without choking your system completrely and even then you would probably never be able to use more than 2 cores. You really should have gone for 12GB or 24GB...

Where do scratch disks go?

AE doesn't use scratch disks. Overflow volumes only matter for final rendering, the rest is handled via your OS. Since AE however really is dependent on physical RAM, you will always never see anything being swapped to disk.

How do I put cache on one of the HDD to speed up access?

Simply put it on the fastest disk in a separate directory. The "normal" AE cache is only used for consolidating RAM preview frames to disk, the media cache is for compressed media and their conform files.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful