6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 1:25 PM by rproulxmtl

Horizontal lines on playback?

Russell_MTL Level 1

I'm outputting video to see how high a quality can be acheived, and so far the few attempts I've made resulted in videos that display small horoizontal lines (artifacts) every few frames. I have to view it frame by frame to catch the really bad ones (see below). But they' re not present in the original from a Nikon D3s shot at its highest quality setting: 1280×720, square pixel, M-JPEG  format.

This is a 100% crop from a Qucktime output at the highest quality I could set it to.Any idea where to start looking for the culprit (other than between the keyboard and the chair <g>)?

Playback_lines.jpg

Thank you,

Russell

• 1. Re: Horizontal lines on playback?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Guess: Check that you are not using interlaced sequence settings but progressive.

• 2. Re: Horizontal lines on playback?
            Russell_MTL Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Guess: Check that you are not using interlaced sequence settings but progressive.

Where/when would I choose that??

RP_Sequence.gif

My source setup now seems correct and plays the videos just fine in PPro. When I select Export and choose QuickTime I don't see any options for Progressive vs Interlaced.

If you (or anyone lurking) were editing digital camera files, what would be an example of a good output format and the associated settings for a video that will only be viewed on a computer monitor or digital projector? I suspect monitors are neither NTSC nor PAL.

I know I need to learn a LOT as video editing is just as complicated as learning to use Photoshop well. But it would be comforting to have a simple recipe that results in one acceptable result so that I'll know that this software is capable of.

Sorry for the hint of frustration. I do appreciate the help.

Russell

• 3. Re: Horizontal lines on playback?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Try if the following improves your preview: Set your preview to I-frame only MPEG and untick maximum bit depth. For export I would not use QuiRckTime at all, but use Flash, WMV or H.264.

• 4. Re: Horizontal lines on playback?
                rproulxmtl Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Try if the following improves your preview: Set your preview to I-frame only MPEG and untick maximum bit depth. For export I would not use QuiRckTime at all, but use Flash, WMV or H.264.

The preview's alreay good but I did whoat you suggested in case it offers any improvement.

It's the Export settings that have be a but confused and have to review that on the LLearning video as well as the Help files. Too bad Adobe has abandoned any in-program help that's context aware of the page you're on and offer guidence about what you're doing. I remember the days when we even got real manuals ;-)

I assume the best thing is to create  Custom export settings for whatever output format I choose and set the variables to their apropriate values --- time to learn more ..

Thanks.

Russell

• 5. Re: Horizontal lines on playback?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try H.264 Apple TV720p

• 6. Re: Horizontal lines on playback?
                    rproulxmtl Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

Try H.264 Apple TV720p

That preset defaulted to an iPod setting which resulted in lots of  jerky stuttering of the video on playback. It was pretty ugly (note that I'm on a PC).

I then tried it again with 'Standard' selected in the Multiplexor Settings -> Stream Compatibility tab (instead of the default 'iPod') and the results are very very good indeed.  Thank you!!

Just curious, when would I ever use the MainConcept M-JPEG CODEC for output? It doesn't appear that one needs to purchase it just to open and work with the native Nikon AVI files, and I'm not seeing that as an output option with Flash, QuickTime, WMV or H.264 export formats ... Or am I missing something..?

Russell