5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2007 12:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex Builder Setup Lacks New Flex Project Option

flashMonkey2007
      First up THANK YOU for creating a Linux version of Flex Builder - most important missing feature has to be design view.

After installing flex builder for Linux the File->New menu didn't contain any of the Flex types - you might want to change this default configuration.
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder Setup Lacks New Flex Project Option
          Shikha Kaushik Level 1
          After launching FB, go to Windows-> Open Perspective-> Other and opt for Flex Development. Doing so when you go to File-> New you would get all the Flex related project and file creation options.
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder Setup Lacks New Flex Project Option
            flashMonkey2007 Level 1
            Hi Shikha, I know that you can change the perspective - I was just commenting that the default perspective should be Flex after the installation - as if you had installed the standalone application. I'm pretty sure installing the plugin on windows does this, maybe not? All adobe need to do is change the current perspective found in .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench/workbench.xml
            • 3. Flex Builder Setup Lacks New Flex Project Option
              SwaroopAdobe
              Hi flashMonkey2007,

The reason why we don't do it by default is that users might be already using Eclipse in their own customized way, such as Java development. We didn't want to assume they will be doing Flex development exclusively only on their Eclipse installation.

Is this is a reasonable approach or should we really change the Eclipse preferences? :)
              • 4. Re: Flex Builder Setup Lacks New Flex Project Option
                flashMonkey2007 Level 1
                If reverting the change is as easy as setting the perspective back then I think yes. Here are the two scenarios as I see them

- W/O setting change
                a. Install FB
                b. Switch to FB perspective
                c. Checkout FB
                d. Remain in perspective or switch back

- With setting change
                a. Install FB
                b. Checkout FB
                c. Remain in perspective or switch back

I can't imagine somebody installing an application and then going on to other work before looking at it - that is to say if I have just installed Flex Builder then I am more than likely going to check the installation worked, as such I think the second scenario will be most popular...

Either way thanks for getting out a Linux version - this is great news for those who are tired of being forced to pay money for unwanted OS upgrades. I don't think I have ever purchased software (generally use OSS applications or transferable business licenses) but I'll buy FB for Linux just as soon as the design view is working.
                • 5. Re: Flex Builder Setup Lacks New Flex Project Option
                  Level 7
                  flashMonkey2007 wrote:
                  > If reverting the change is as easy as setting the perspective back then I think
                  > yes. Here are the two scenarios as I see them
                  >
                  > - W/O setting change
                  > a. Install FB
                  > b. Switch to FB perspective
                  > c. Checkout FB
                  > d. Remain in perspective or switch back
                  >
                  > - With setting change
                  > a. Install FB
                  > b. Checkout FB
                  > c. Remain in perspective or switch back
                  >
                  > I can't imagine somebody installing an application and then going on to other
                  > work before looking at it - that is to say if I have just installed Flex
                  > Builder then I am more than likely going to check the installation worked, as
                  > such I think the second scenario will be most popular...
                  >
                  > Either way thanks for getting out a Linux version - this is great news for
                  > those who are tired of being forced to pay money for unwanted OS upgrades. I
                  > don't think I have ever purchased software (generally use OSS applications or
                  > transferable business licenses) but I'll buy FB for Linux just as soon as the
                  > design view is working.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  Please feel free to log a bug in Flex Builder Linux bug base...
                  http://bugs.adobe.com/jira