14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2007 11:01 PM by Newsgroup_User

OT: email issue

Level 7
      Anyone have any idea on this one.

I have a client who has an internal mail server set up to distribute
      emails to various email adrresses throughout his office.

The email is downloaded to his internal server obviously via a
      'catchall' email address set up on his service providers hosting server.

What's happening is the 'catchall' email box is filling up, i.e., the
      mail is being stored on the service providers server, (not the internal
      email server) This results in an 'over quota' message being returned
      when someone tries to email him.

I've been into cPanel and I can only up the quota of the mail box (not
      delete the capacity used). The quota is running out, fast.

Tech support says that the mail is being stored because his internal
      server is not deleting it once it has been downloaded from their server
      to his internal server.

Does this sound feesable. Any ideas?

Cheers

Os

• 1. Re: email issue
          Level 7
          > Does this sound feesable. Any ideas?

Feesable? It sounds completely accurate. Fix the internal server so that
          it deletes the messages on download.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
          news:fb6ktj$2jr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Anyone have any idea on this one.
          >
          > I have a client who has an internal mail server set up to distribute
          > emails to various email adrresses throughout his office.
          >
          > The email is downloaded to his internal server obviously via a 'catchall'
          > email address set up on his service providers hosting server.
          >
          > What's happening is the 'catchall' email box is filling up, i.e., the mail
          > is being stored on the service providers server, (not the internal email
          > server) This results in an 'over quota' message being returned when
          > someone tries to email him.
          >
          > I've been into cPanel and I can only up the quota of the mail box (not
          > delete the capacity used). The quota is running out, fast.
          >
          > Tech support says that the mail is being stored because his internal
          > server is not deleting it once it has been downloaded from their server to
          > his internal server.
          >
          > Does this sound feesable. Any ideas?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Os
          >

• 2. Re: email issue
            Level 7
            Murray *ACE* wrote:

>>Does this sound feesable. Any ideas?
            >
            >
            > Feesable? It sounds completely accurate. Fix the internal server so that
            > it deletes the messages on download.
            >

Murray cheers for the reply.

So let me get this straight so when I talk to the client I know what the
            hell I'm talking about.

When the internal server receives the email messages from the host
            providers server the clients internal server should automatically
            removed them from the host providers server, resulting in an empty email
            box on the host providers server?

If this is not happening the email box on the host providers server will
            just continue to fill until it reaches capacity and then no more email
            will be forwarded?

• 3. Re: email issue
              Level 7
              Yes, and yes. Often you can set the original POP server to some trigger
              mailbox size after which it will delete the entire folder's contents
              automatically. This depends entirely on which email server the provider is
              running, though.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"Osgood" <notavailable@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
              news:fb6m0f$3rv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Murray *ACE* wrote:
              >
              >>>Does this sound feesable. Any ideas?
              >>
              >>
              >> Feesable? It sounds completely accurate. Fix the internal server so
              >> that it deletes the messages on download.
              >>
              >
              > Murray cheers for the reply.
              >
              > So let me get this straight so when I talk to the client I know what the
              > hell I'm talking about.
              >
              > When the internal server receives the email messages from the host
              > providers server the clients internal server should automatically removed
              > them from the host providers server, resulting in an empty email box on
              > the host providers server?
              >
              > If this is not happening the email box on the host providers server will
              > just continue to fill until it reaches capacity and then no more email
              > will be forwarded?
              >

• 4. Re: OT: email issue
                Level 7

> The email is downloaded to his internal server obviously via a
                > 'catchall' email address set up on his service providers hosting server.
                >
                > What's happening is the 'catchall' email box is filling up

If i'm guessing correctly- this is a catch all box, and no one is checking
                it for mail? So it's just filling up with spam?

If all "real" email addresses have their own defined mail boxes and the ONLY
                thing going into the catch all box is spam, use the control panel settings
                to send all non-valid emails to :blackhole: instead of sending them to the
                catch all box.

As far as deleting the current contents of the default address catch all
                box- either set up a mail client account with the default account's details,
                or maybe easier- if the hosting has web mail, log into the default mail
                account using web mail, and use the menu choices to delete the INBOX folder,
                then remember to delete the trash folder before logging out.

--
                Alan
                Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: OT: email issue
                  Level 7
                  Alan wrote:
                  >
                  >>The email is downloaded to his internal server obviously via a
                  >>'catchall' email address set up on his service providers hosting server.
                  >>
                  >>What's happening is the 'catchall' email box is filling up
                  >
                  >
                  > If i'm guessing correctly- this is a catch all box, and no one is checking
                  > it for mail? So it's just filling up with spam?

Spot on Alan. I've just come to that conclusion myself after going into
                  the webmail panel and finding over 600 pages full of the stuff.

>
                  > If all "real" email addresses have their own defined mail boxes and the ONLY
                  > thing going into the catch all box is spam, use the control panel settings
                  > to send all non-valid emails to :blackhole: instead of sending them to the
                  > catch all box.

A blackhole? How can I do that...any pointers? I don't really want to
                  have to keep deleting page after page of spam.

> As far as deleting the current contents of the default address catch all
                  > box- either set up a mail client account with the default account's details,
                  > or maybe easier- if the hosting has web mail, log into the default mail
                  > account using web mail, and use the menu choices to delete the INBOX folder,
                  > then remember to delete the trash folder before logging out.

Yup, that just what I was doing. Unfortunatley I cant find a button that
                  will delete the whole 600 page :( so Im having to do one page at a time,
                  manually.

Thanks

Os

• 6. Re: email issue
                    Level 7
                    Murray *ACE* wrote:

> Yes, and yes. Often you can set the original POP server to some trigger
                    > mailbox size after which it will delete the entire folder's contents
                    > automatically. This depends entirely on which email server the provider is
                    > running, though.
                    >

Thanks Murray.

Think I've got to the heart of the issue. Alans post confirmed it.

Stupid 'catchall'

• 7. Re: OT: email issue
                      Level 7
                      On 30 Aug 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Osgood wrote:

> A blackhole? How can I do that...any pointers? I don't really want to
                      > have to keep deleting page after page of spam.

Just don't set up a catchall address. I haven't done it on a domain in
                      several years. The initial theory was that if somebody mis-spells an
                      email address (ogsood@example.com instead of osgood@example.com) you'll
                      get the mail anyway. In practice, it leaves you susceptible to
                      dictionary attacks with very little upside.

--
                      Joe Makowiec
                      http://makowiec.net/
                      Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                      • 8. Re: OT: email issue
                        Level 7
                        Joe Makowiec wrote:

> On 30 Aug 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Osgood wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        >>A blackhole? How can I do that...any pointers? I don't really want to
                        >>have to keep deleting page after page of spam.
                        >
                        >
                        > Just don't set up a catchall address. I haven't done it on a domain in
                        > several years. The initial theory was that if somebody mis-spells an
                        > email address (ogsood@example.com instead of osgood@example.com) you'll
                        > get the mail anyway. In practice, it leaves you susceptible to
                        > dictionary attacks with very little upside.
                        >

Humm......what don't set up any email boxes? I got to set up something
                        surely?

I think the way the clients internal server has been set up is that it
                        catches anything sent to a 'central' email address. Then once it gets to
                        the internal server the mail gets divided up and sent to the correct
                        recipient.

I have to have a 'central' mail box set up for this to happen don't I?

• 9. Re: OT: email issue
                          Level 7
                          On 30 Aug 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Osgood wrote:

> Humm......what don't set up any email boxes? I got to set up
                          > something surely?
                          >
                          > I think the way the clients internal server has been set up is that
                          > it catches anything sent to a 'central' email address. Then once it
                          > gets to the internal server the mail gets divided up and sent to the
                          > correct recipient.
                          >
                          > I have to have a 'central' mail box set up for this to happen don't
                          > I?

In that case, yes. But, as somebody else pointed out, when the client's
                          mailserver grabs messages, it also has to delete them.

--
                          Joe Makowiec
                          http://makowiec.net/
                          Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                          • 10. Re: OT: email issue
                            Level 7
                            Joe Makowiec wrote:
                            > On 30 Aug 2007 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Osgood wrote:
                            >
                            >
                            >>Humm......what don't set up any email boxes? I got to set up
                            >>something surely?
                            >>
                            >>I think the way the clients internal server has been set up is that
                            >>it catches anything sent to a 'central' email address. Then once it
                            >>gets to the internal server the mail gets divided up and sent to the
                            >>correct recipient.
                            >>
                            >>I have to have a 'central' mail box set up for this to happen don't
                            >>I?
                            >
                            >
                            > In that case, yes. But, as somebody else pointed out, when the client's
                            > mailserver grabs messages, it also has to delete them.
                            >

Ok, well I'll just have to keep and eye on the catchall mailbox and
                            don't let it build up with spam as much.

Must be a way I can grab it all and delete it then it won't be so bad.
                            I'll take another look around the control panel tomorrow see if I have
                            missed something obvious.

Thanks for youre input Joe. At least I know whats happening now and I
                            can at least monitor the situation.

• 11. Re: OT: email issue
                              Level 7
                              Osgood wrote:
                              > At least I know whats happening now and I
                              > can at least monitor the situation.

More a question for the clients IT Support people rather than their web
                              people...

But still; find out what mail server they're running on-site, and I'm sure
                              someone will come up with the correct setting you need to switch.

Regards,

Pete
                              --
                              Peter Connolly
                              http://www.acutecomputing.co.uk
                              UK

• 12. Re: OT: email issue
                                Level 7

> A blackhole? How can I do that...any pointers? I don't really want to
                                > have to keep deleting page after page of spam.

the hosting i prefer is linux using CPanel.
                                In CPanel, under the Mail icon, is a menu choice for Default Address.
                                In that section, click Set Default Address.

You'll see a form on what to do with invalidly addressed incoming mail. The
                                page gives this tip:
                                Hint: You can enter :blackhole: to discard all incoming unrouted mail or
                                :fail: no such address here to bounce it.

:blackhole: will delete the mail.
                                :fail: will delete the mail, AND send a failure notice back to the "from"
                                address. Suggest you don't do this.

So say i've set up three defined email addresses. sales, info, and bossman.
                                This site now has 4 mail boxes (the other is the admin mailbox,
                                siteusername@example.com)

any mail addressed to exactly one of those boxes goes to the right box.
                                any mail addressed to anything else goes to a blackhole, the giant bit
                                bucket in the sky. It does not go into the "catch all" box. Because i don't
                                want to catch it.

this gets rid of all the randomlygeneratedaddresses@example.com

**The above only applies to the way it's done using CPanel**

if your hosting uses something else, consult the Help, or post what "brand"
                                of control panel software it is.

--
                                Alan
                                Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 13. Re: OT: email issue
                                  Level 7
                                  Hi Alan,

Sounds great. I'll take a look today. Thanks for taking the time to
                                  explain this in depth.

Cheers

Os

Alan wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>A blackhole? How can I do that...any pointers? I don't really want to
                                  >>have to keep deleting page after page of spam.
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > the hosting i prefer is linux using CPanel.
                                  > In CPanel, under the Mail icon, is a menu choice for Default Address.
                                  > In that section, click Set Default Address.
                                  >
                                  > You'll see a form on what to do with invalidly addressed incoming mail. The
                                  > page gives this tip:
                                  > Hint: You can enter :blackhole: to discard all incoming unrouted mail or
                                  > :fail: no such address here to bounce it.
                                  >
                                  > :blackhole: will delete the mail.
                                  > :fail: will delete the mail, AND send a failure notice back to the "from"
                                  > address. Suggest you don't do this.
                                  >
                                  > So say i've set up three defined email addresses. sales, info, and bossman.
                                  > This site now has 4 mail boxes (the other is the admin mailbox,
                                  > siteusername@example.com)
                                  >
                                  > any mail addressed to exactly one of those boxes goes to the right box.
                                  > any mail addressed to anything else goes to a blackhole, the giant bit
                                  > bucket in the sky. It does not go into the "catch all" box. Because i don't
                                  > want to catch it.
                                  >
                                  > this gets rid of all the randomlygeneratedaddresses@example.com
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > **The above only applies to the way it's done using CPanel**
                                  >
                                  > if your hosting uses something else, consult the Help, or post what "brand"
                                  > of control panel software it is.
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >

• 14. Re: OT: email issue
                                    Level 7
                                    PeteC wrote:

> Osgood wrote:
                                    >
                                    >>At least I know whats happening now and I
                                    >>can at least monitor the situation.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > More a question for the clients IT Support people rather than their web
                                    > people...
                                    >
                                    > But still; find out what mail server they're running on-site, and I'm sure
                                    > someone will come up with the correct setting you need to switch.

Hi Pete,

I try and steer clear of the IT people in this particular case as I
                                    don't really know what I'm talking about and when that happens they tend
                                    to be able to run rings around you, even if you know in your own mind
                                    they could or may be able to do more to assist.

Some people delight in 'pretending' they know everything when infact
                                    they just lie to cover up their own inabilities...sort of defence
                                    mechanism. This sums up the IT guy in this case pretty good.

He has the attitude of thinking I should know all about and how to set
                                    up internal web-servers. Yeah right, like he knows anything about css or
                                    html.....just gotta love people like that.

Cheers

Os