0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 3:48 AM by simon_h_p

Mac Printing Pics Too Dark

simon_h_p Level 1

Weird and Complex.

Document in Word (for Mac) using images from internet (jpg, png, monochrome and colour - from various NASA, JPL and other sources).  Printing Word .docx is fine.  Export document to PDF (using in-built Mac OS X PDF Print system) and PDF on screen is fine.  Print PDF using Mac Preview and it appears fine (colour a bit richer than .docx but OK).  Print from Windows Adobe Reader, same as Mac Preview app.  But print from Mac Adobe Reader (9.3.0) and the pictures come out as though the contrast is massively turned-up - monochrome pics far too dark and with a blue tint and colour pics darker and way OTT blue tint.  This is destroying the pictures as the colour (and particularly blue) is very significant in the scientific pictures.

Pictures are from many different sources and jpg and png so I have not doctored them in any way - and the .docx prints fine.

When printing from Adobe Reader I have tried with Printer managing the colour and with ColourSync enabled (automatic profile) and it makes no difference.  It appears just Adobe Reader on Mac that is the problem.

(As it on print only I cannot post samples to illustrate - if important I could scan the bad rint but that would probably adjust things further)

Update additional info: Pictures are either 8 bit RGB or grey scale (8 bit).  Some have embedded ColoyrSync profiles (e.g. sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or Generic RGB Profile or Dot Gain 20%) some have no embedded profile - all come out badly and all affected.  I tried using Photoshop to add a profile to one of the images without a profile and it made no difference.  Printing from Photoshop (CS4) is fine (including photos without profiles - comes out same as printing original .docx)  If I import the pages into Photoshop and print them they come out fine - just as printing the .docx - so I think there is nothing wrong with the PDF but it looks like it is the Adobe Reader printing.

Any ideas.

Many thanks

Simon