10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 7:43 AM by jdboe26

Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!

jorgeeli Level 1

Hi

Organizer made a big mess with mi video dates.

Today I launched the organizer and noticed most of my video clips had the wrong dates!!

About 80% of them were grouped on same dates. For example, twenty clips taken on different dates now have the same date and time. Then another group of clips were modified to have the same date (different from the first group).

I noticed that in clips from scene groups, only the top clip had the date changed; not the hidden clip.

The date shift is sometimes 20 days, and sometimes it is even years.

Thi happened with both, older avi and newer MOV files.

Looking at the properties, the date is also modified there.

Regarding pictures, I only noticed "one" (out of thousands) with the wrong date.

Please help... this created a huge mess in my video collection.

• 1. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The dates displayed in the Organizer will be the dates that the photos and video were saved to the computer -- not that dates that they were shot.

• 2. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
            nealeh Level 5

Are you saying that the clips used to have one date but now it has changed? Or could it be that you didn't notice when you originally imported them? Can you duplicate the error with a new clip?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
              jorgeeli Level 1

I'm saying that the organizer changed the date on HUNDREDS of videos to the same date.

Plase help

• 4. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                nealeh Level 5

I can't think of any reason for the PRE Organizer to change dates. Did you move files from one folder to another with Windows Explorer?

The only solution I can think of to put the dates back is to restore from your most recent backup that has the correct dates.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                  iltb2000

If the "auto-analyzer" in the Organizer is running (I think it is set to run automatically by default), it will analyze your videos and change the modifed date of the video file.  Not sure if that might be a factor in what you are seeing...

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Problems_with_the

• 6. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                    nealeh Level 5

Wow - that is a bad design decision by Adobe! Install a new product and screw up your media information!

If that is the cause I feel your pain jorgeeli

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                      jorgeeli Level 1

I know... this looked messed up enough to recall my backup.

I put an inquiry to adobe and want to wait for them to see if they can find a solution before to the hassle of the restore (and redo my work of the past month).

For the record... the analyzer was not running when the problem happened.

• 8. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                        jorgeeli Level 1

After many, many hours of analysis I'm coming to the conclusion that the culprit was the analyzer... I've said earlier that the analyzer was not running when the problem occurred, but I may be wrong and had the problem much longer. I, like many of you learned of the disadvantajes of the anaylzer AFTER a few photo downloads where it ran automatically.  I've been slowly manually restoring my video files from my backups which have the proper date.

Adobe CS thinks that the problem may be a corrupted preferences file. Does this make sense to you?

How can a corrupt preferences file change the dates on my videos?

Your comments are welcome.

• 9. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                          iltb2000 Level 1

The only thing I can think is that a corrupt preferences file could cause PSE to think that the auto-analyzer flag is turned on so PSE runs the analyzer automatically even though you didn't ask it to.  For example, I thought for sure I had turned off the analyzer, and discovered a couple days later (after it had analyzed about 40,000 files) that it was still on.  I've turned it off again, and it has stayed off (for a month or so now).  I still need to recover the files from that debacle (have them on backup, but I've been slow to restore them in case it happens again, and I haven't decided if I'm doing both pictures and videos, or just videos).  I have seen a lot of posts in other forums in the past that the preferences file is very fragile, and can get corrupted, thus leading to unpredictable behavior.  I personally haven't seen this other than the possible issue noted above.  To confuse matters, I was testing PSE 8 on 2 or 3 different systems, all pointing at the same server with the pictures on it, so I had multiple installations where the settings could have been an issue.

Hope that helps!

Jon

• 10. Re: Organizer changed the date of some of my videos !!
                            jdboe26 Level 1

I have a similar problem and have made several posts regarding my experience on the elementsvillage forum in this thread "premiere elements 8 changing original file!?" http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55318

I still haven't resolved the problem but in my case the changes seem to be occuring when I import media onto a project time line. At that point the "modified date" on my original file is changed to the import time. The "modified date" is not being changed if I change the media file's properties to "read-only" before I import it. I had 2600+ pictures with "modified" dates before I realized this was happening.

I am running Premiere Elements 8, have turned off the auto-analyzer and background rendering. I cannot figure out how to stop this. My current work around is to make duplicates of my media and use those as my project files. In the process I'm resizing the pictures so they work better with PE8.

Does anyone have any ideas or new information to solve this problem?

Regards, jdboe