Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Action Builder not part of CS4 Design Standard

Level 2

I just shelled out big bucks for Design Standard CS4, upgrading from CS2. One of my main reasons for purchasing was to utilize the Action Builder subform features in LiveCycle Designer. Now I find out Action Builder is only available in Acrobat 9 Pro EXTENDED, which is not part of DS CS4. Bummer!!

I'm toying with the idea of downloading the free trial to use for my current project, but will have to uninstall Acrobat 9 Pro first. Will script generated by Action Builder in forms produced using the trial version still be valid after I uninstall the trial?

I know there are many other features in Extended but, for now, AB is all I’m interested in. Any other options here (other than getting better at writing my own scripts)? Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has gone through this.

Thanks!         ~Carol

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Carol,

The scripts are embedded in the form. Once you run Action Builder and save the .xdp or the .pdf, reinstalling Acrobat will have no impact upon the form.

However, if you save forms in the Acrobat installation path (c:\program files\adobe\acrobat...) and uninstall Acrobat you may inadvertently delete the forms.

Steve

Level 2

I uninstalled Acrobat 9 Pro, restarted, then downloaded/installed the free trial for Acrobat 9 Pro Extended, which you supposedly need in order to use the new Action Builder.  Disabled McAfee, and install went perfectly.

Pro Extended comes up fine, as does LiveCycle Designer (now ver. 8.2.1.4029 since updates), but there is no Action Builder. It should be the first thing under LC Tools dropdown menu, but it's not there.

I created a new form with two subforms, then saved as Dynamic XML form, closed, re-opened, and still no Action Builder option. What am I missing here?

With my luck, Action Builder is not included as part of the free trial. Can anyone confirm that it should be there? If so, how do I access it?

Thx!      ~Carol

Former Community Member

Carol,

I'm sorry, I had forgotten. Action Builder is in LiveCycle Designer ES2 (9.0.0), only, and it is not currently shipping with the Acrobat install.

You can get the trial version of LiveCycle Designer ES2 at http://www.adobe.com/go/trylivecycle_designer

Steve

Level 2

Well, that solves the question of why it was not there.  I've always thought that LiveCycle Designer was only a part of Acrobat Pro, but now I'm finding out it's also available as an entirely separate package. Guess I've got some studying to do!

So now, if I download the trial version of LCD ES2, what will I have to uninstall that I currently have loaded? Been looking at the download page, and will probably stumble across it eventually, but has anyone upgraded to LCD ES2 with the CS4 Design Standard suite installed?

Level 2

Found this post http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/articles/lcdesigneres2_whats_new.html that led me to Adobe Store where I found LC Designer ES2 is only $30 to upgrade from Acrobat Pro 9 - much better than the $229 upgrade for Acrobat Pro 9 Extended I thought I was looking at.

So, guess I will uninstall Pro Extended free trial, get back to my actual CS4 installation, then install free trial of LCD ES2 while waiting for the box to ship, since it's not available as download. Whew!!

Sure hope this gives me the Action Builder I've been jumping through all these hoops for. Will post results - if I ever get to that point!         ~Carol