8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 4:27 PM by Harm Millaard

Need advice on performance improvement.

lchapman66 Level 1

I have the CS4 suite.  Lately I've been editing 720p60fps footage from a Kodak Zi8.  Even with a single video track a simple cross-dissolve transition won't play smoothly without rendering.  I'm looking for advice to help performance.  I know I can beef-up the video card and wait for CS5 but I'd like an option before that.  I have a killer machine already:    Dual quad procs at 3.2Ghz and 16Gb of RAM running Vista-64.  I've thought about NeoHD.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Better use the Kodak included software instead of PR, or WMM or Magix. Those are more suited for this material.

• 2. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
            sync2rhythm Level 1

Awesome sounding Workstation specs but it hurts to  hear that it doesn't give you Real-Time transitions as this is the power & RAM that I'm looking at going to from a single Quad Core.

(from a Dell T3500 to either a T7500 or MAC Pro)

- Is this only during Transitions or can you add/stack layers and get Real-Time playback?

- Does it render these elements fairly quickly or does it bother you that you have to wait a long time?

- Would it help you to Transcode to a more Edit Friendly format/CODEC before adding to the Timeline?

Once your file is Rendered Out and you try to play it in a Media Player and it 'Stutters' (I too have this problem w/ 1080p but not DV)...

- Could this be because of the file size/streaming from HD?

Personally, I don't see CS5 being the 'Cure All'. I feel that it will be like normal and require a faster processor w/ more RAM.

• 3. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

To confirm that notion:

I have a killer machine already:    Dual quad procs at 3.2Ghz and 16Gb of RAM running Vista-64.

run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark and submit your results to Bill (and me if you want) and see if indeed you have a killer machine or not.

If you want to improve performance it helps to know what you have and what budget is available for improvement. Otherwise you get remarks like:

1. Get better hardware

2. Tune your system for editing

3. Get at least 24 Cheetah 15K7 disks in a raid30 array

4. Double your memory

5. Get 4 SSD's in raid10 for boot

6. Upgrade to Win7 64 Pro

etc.

• 4. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
                lchapman66 Level 1

The videos I've been doing from this footage are pretty simple.  No multiple video tracks etc.   The system even has some trouble playing a straight, single, video track.  Please remember that this footage is not "typical".  It's from a Kodak Zi8 and is H.264/720p60fps.   I can edit 1080i HDV on this system with hardly a glitch.  You saw Harm's suggestion based on the video format.  I will see what Kodak's s/w can do, not in the studio again until Tuesday.  The final results/renders from Premiere on this footage are fine, with one exception.  I can't get the AME to render a correct mp4 (prefered format for Vimeo).  I've ended-up successfully rendering to Windows Media.

• 5. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

WMV works well for Vimeo in my experience.

• 6. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
                    lchapman66 Level 1

Harm - On the last two uploads of the wmv files to Vimeo I had to contact them to get the process completed.  Facebook and YouTube ate the same files without a hitch.

• 7. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
                      lchapman66 Level 1

Here's a bit more on Premiere's behavior with these files.  I'm rendering an 8 minute clip

right now.  The Performace Monitor in Vista shows that it's using only 20% of the CPU

bandwidth and the disk access light is flashing just a couple times a second.  Can anyone

educate me on what the issue might be?

• 8. Re: Need advice on performance improvement.
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Generally, when you have a powerful CPU and low usage figures, that means other components are the bottleneck, because that CPU is waiting for other components to finish their job. Often this is disk I/O, but also common is other services/processes running in the background, like indexing, compression, defragging.

I haven't seen your http://ppbm4.com results yet. What are they?