3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 5:25 AM by Steve Grisetti

Merging 2 Project Files to manage size - good/bad idea? PrE8

JayZ_WA Level 1

I posted a reply to an earlier message but realized the title of PE3 might not draw too much attention!

I am working on a project that has become resource intensive! It will be approx 7-8 minutes in total length with AVCHD files in addition to stills and audio.  Although my system is doing ok (just ok!) in working with this now, it's sweating a bit!  (Hopefully this is not unexpected, even with my i7 920/6GB/1GB Graphics/3 Drive system!)

Would it be reasonable to create the first half of the project in one file, the second half in another file and then use a final project to combine the two DVI files?  This way, the project could still be edited by going into either file but keep the file more manageable?  I think I could ultimately make it through with one file but not without some crashing/freezing/frustration as it continues to increase in size!

Does this effect the quality by creating the DVI file and then creating another final DVI file?

Any disadvantages (other than not having complete workflow in front of me - this is a logical break in video/audio)?  Good idea to keep it more manageable??

- Thanks! -

• 1. Re: Merging 2 Project Files to manage size - good/bad idea? PrE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It is an excellent idea to work on a project in small parts, share each part as a DV-AVI and then collect all of your AVIs into a master project for final mix-down. (You may have to use a different output file if you're assembling your video for a BluRay disc.)

Meantime, make sure that you only edit AVCHD video in a project set up for AVCHD. And ensure that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels (or 2000x1500 if you're working on a BluRay hi-def project) and render as you work.

• 2. Re: Merging 2 Project Files to manage size - good/bad idea? PrE8
            JayZ_WA Level 1

Thanks for the endorsement on this idea!

While I could likely make it through as one file, it would likely take longer and cause a little frustration than starting a 2nd, especially being at a logical breaking point.

Regarding the note on the photo size, my movie is 16:9, right? (or, should I say - 'right.')  These dimensions on the still images would be a 4:3, so wouldn't I want a 16:9 on that too?  i.e. 1920x1080?  Or, is this to keep it in a more native size format (as it was taken)?

I am fairly certain I selected an AVCHD project from the beginning, where can I check this? Although, if I can't change one it's underway maybe I don't want to know!  Under Edit, Project Settings it shows - Editing Mode HD 1080i, Timebase 29.97 - Video frame size 1920x1080 ... is this related to the original project settings?

I typically work, stop and render, work, stop and render ... and save every few minutes in between!

• 3. Re: Merging 2 Project Files to manage size - good/bad idea? PrE8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can see (but not change) your project settings under the Edit menu.

You can only change your project settings when you first start a project. You can not change the settings mid-project.