4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 8:46 PM by tkarlmann

Site Creation not working as expected -- just starting, please help

tkarlmann Level 1

I have vista 64 and CS3 Master.  In Dreamweaver, the Site/New Site is not working as expected.  I am following video tutorials and their system, on Windows, is working differently than mine.  Here is what happens:

Using the Advanced tab for a new site, I first type in the site's name.  Then I click on the folder to locate the new site's "Local Root Folder".  Here is where the problem is.  Follow me closely.  Upon creating and then selecting the site's folder, my system is LEAVING OFF the last part of the path to the new site!  After clicking OK, I MUST type the root folder's name in the "Local Root Folder"'s small window.  The same thing happens with the Images folder.

So then I figured perhaps the path was too long for the program to handle.  So I copied my workspace to the desktop, (OK, I KNOW that previous sites created elsewhere won't work here, all is OK, just soldier on).  Then, doing the same operation of creating a new site, the actual new site folder STILL does not get added to the path -- and I must type it in manually.

What is wrong?  Please help

• 1. Re: Site Creation not working as expected -- just starting, please help
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's a known issue in DW.

"Problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478327

Only workarounds are available so far; no fix yet.

Doesn't stop DW working though.

• 2. Re: Site Creation not working as expected -- just starting, please help
            tkarlmann Level 1

Thanks ever so much for your answer, more hair came out on this one and there's not much left up there.  Can anyone else confirm this as a known issue?

I am to presume then, that the OS used to create the video tut I am viewing (Janine Warner, DW CS3) was some other OS?

May I ask then, what OSs' exhibit this "known problem"?

Also, are there any other SIMPLE operations like this one, that I am likely to run into?   Is there a list somewhere?  Please don't show me some pro's list of hundreds of esoteric issues I am unlikely to use -- just learning.

Why isn't this issue fixed?????

• 3. Re: Site Creation not working as expected -- just starting, please help
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All I can say is that it worked for me in CS3. Doesn't work in CS4.

Other than that, we have to use workarounds.

• 4. Re: Site Creation not working as expected -- just starting, please help
                tkarlmann Level 1

John:

I'm new to this forum, and I found that the link I received from your email led me to the complete workaround.  Thanks so much.  It's really simple, just go to one directory below where it should be!!  This is best, as one would not wish to mis-type those paths!

I think I found another issue -- let me know if this is me or DW CS3 -- again:

If I am using the rulers to align something, just like I do in Photoshop, in DW things do not go well.  Let's say I want to zoom in a bit to change the zero point to correspond to the corner of a div I just created.  So I set the zero.  Then I zoom back out and oops!  Now my set-zero is WAY off!!!  A double-click to the UL corner fixes everything, but it sure messes up my ability to set guides precisely!

Is this another "known problem", or is it something else?  The guides and zeros work perfectly in my Photoshop CS3.

Is DW CS3 some sort of lame duck version?  I noted there have been NO updates to the English version of DW CS3.  wow  :-(  

Thom