4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 1:11 AM by Aland Islands

Finaly got my components for new editing machine

Aland Islands

Hi. Finaly got my components for new editing machine, took a long time,depending on that I could´nt get the graphic card I wanted,(Saphire Radeon HD 5850) so I had to change to another "XFX Radeon HD5770", but it maby dosent matter to much.So this is what I have got.

HDD:4 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 8.9ms SATA   
           MB: ASUS P6T SE -ATX LGA1366
           Desk T.:Logitech Pro 2400 Cordless Desktop
           Monitor: BenQ M2200HD 22" LCD    
           Chassi: Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX
           Power: Zalman ZM850-HP, 850W ATX
           Ext.HDD: Verbatim SmartDisk 1TB SATA II
           Mem.:2 Corsair Intel Core i7 6GB Kit PC3-12800= 12 GB
           CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2,66GHz
           Opt.drive: LG GH22LSRB, 22X DVD+-RW SATA
           Solid St.:OCZ Agility 60GB 2.5" SSD SATA II
           CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
           Graph.Card:XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCI-E

Before I start to put them together I have a few questions. The MB supports int.6 SATA II.+ 1 E-SATA in the backpanel. The chassi has one E-SATA port in the front panel. Now when I have 4 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 Opt.drive (all SATA) there will be nothing left for the fronpanel E-SATA port. The backpanel E-SATA port I will use for the Ext HDD Verbatim for backup. I should like to have the frontpananel E-SATA free for an ev. Blu Ray Burner in the future. Now to the questions:

Is it a sensible way to leave 1 spinpoint as a sparepart and config. the rest as follows?

1 SSD for OS and Programs                           

1 Spinpoint for Media

1 Spinpoint  for Projekts and scratch ?

1 Spinpoint for final results and pagefile?

or should I skip the fronpanel E-SATA and use the 4 Spinpoints,( it´s allways a possibillity to disconnect the ext.HDD from the packpanel E-SATA and use it for the Blu Ray Burner when I need to use it.) I dont know if there will be much rendering, my videos will be max. 20 min. most of them 10 to 15 minutes, and not many special effekts. If you advice me to use 4 Spinpoints, how should I config. them?

1 SSD for OS and Programs                           

1 Spinpoint for Media?

1 Spinpoint  for Projekts and scratch ?

1 Spinpoint for final results and pagefile?

1 Spinpoint for ?

What about RAID?

Thankfull for all suggestions.

Now some other questions. Do yuo think I will have problems to run Prem.E.8 in Win7 64 bit? What about updating BIOS? Is it a sensible way to download the new BIOS to a USB-stick in a another machine and then flash it in the new computer, or ?? And finally, is there anyone who knows how to convert TS Videofiles to MPEG 4, WMA or other formats that I can run on the computer or burn to DVD, have tryed many conv.progr.but not succeeded, maby it dosent work?

Many thanks in advance Åland Islands