5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 11:22 PM by Bernd Alheit

Reader 9.3.0 ignores default zoom, doesn't remember last view settings

delphidoc77 Level 1

I'm running Adobe Reader 9.3.0 on a new "clean" install of XP SP2. I've set the following:

Edit -> Preferences -> Page Display -> Default Layout and Zoom

"Page Layout" = Single Page Continuous

"Default Zoom" = 100%

Edit - > Preferences -> Documents -> Open Settings

"Restore last view settings when reopening documents" = checked

Of the 3 settings, only the Page Layout (Single Page Continuous) is "sticking."

No matter what I've tried, all documents are opened a full-width of the screen.

All documents are reopened at the top of page 1.

This happens with ALL pdf documents, no matter if they were downloaded or if I made them myself with PDFill.

BTW I'm using the latest version of PDFill, have PDFill's settings set appropriately, and didn't have this problem with Adober Reader 7.0.9.

I'd like to avoid uninstalling 9.3.0 and going back to 7.0.9 due to other problems that 7.0.9 has, but I'm not willing to put up with 149% zoom and not going back to the middle of a long pdf document when I've set Adobe Reader to act otherwise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Reader 9.3.0 ignores default zoom, doesn't remember last view settings
          delphidoc77 Level 1

I think I found the problem area for Defaul Zoom. It's stored in the this key:

hkcu\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Originals\iDefaultZoomScale

I looked at the hex values for all the possible zoom settings, listed here:

zoom =   hex
              25 =    4000
              50 =    8000
              75 =    c000
            100 =         0
            125 =  14000
            150 =  18000
            200 =  20000
            400 =  40000
            800 =  80000
          1600 = 100000
          3200 = 200000
          6400 = 400000

If the hex values marched out evenly, 100% should be 10000(H), not 0(H).

I manually entered 10000(H) in the Registry. In Adobe reader 9.3.0 and looked at the Default Zoom setting (Edit -> Preferences -> Page Display -> Zoom). The setting was 150%, which I had already seen as 18000(H) in the Registry when I went through all the possible zoom settings previously.

I realize a pdf document may be created with its own default zoom setting which my preferences won't override, but this is also happening with pdf documents I create myself with PDFill. This lack of zoom control with my own documents didn't happen with Adobe Reader 7.0.9.

I also noticed the key just below iDefaultZoomScale is iDefaultZoomType, which is currently set at 0(H). I haven't found its counterpart in Adobe Reader's preferences. Any idea what it does?

• 2. Re: Reader 9.3.0 ignores default zoom, doesn't remember last view settings
            delphidoc77 Level 1

Fixed it. I downgraded to 8.3.2, where I could override a document's default page layout and zoom setting. Here's a perfect example a software publisher ruining a good thing with a newer software version. Sometimes BETTER is the enemy of GOOD.

• 3. Re: Reader 9.3.0 ignores default zoom, doesn't remember last view settings
              thisismyscreenname888 Level 1

I too have this problem.  Adobe Reader 9 also has printing problems  WYSI(not)WYG in the print preview.  I have a HPScanJet6350 and when I scan at 200 dpi, I get fairly large actual sizes 16 x 20 inches in Adobe, but they are actually 8.5 x 11 pages I'm scanning.  To the best of my knowledge this is what resolution is, OK anway......... but even trying to print as an image and/or fitting to width will not save the setting after I close.  I changed the default layout, zoom, and resolutions (in preferences) but to no avail will anything save these defaults.  "Restore Last View Settings" also will not help.  Having these issues broken from previous versions is frustrating.  Adobe is a huge headache because I print MANY PDFs from email by right clicking and selecting print rather than opening up Reader EVERYTIME and modifying print settings.  I thought I could help Adobe become aware of this bug.  An answer would be nice since I have bought several licenses of Acrobat over the years...

• 4. Re: Reader 9.3.0 ignores default zoom, doesn't remember last view settings
                lucvdvnull Level 1

Believe it or not (if you use Adobe Reader you will believe it of course), but 7 years later this is STILL broken.

Not only does it ignore the preferred zoom setting, but if you set it to 100%, it doesn't even save it in the registry. It only saves it if you select a setting different from 100%, and even then it subsequently just ignores it when you open any document.

• 5. Re: Reader 9.3.0 ignores default zoom, doesn't remember last view settings
                  Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Version 9.3.0 is old and unsupported.