5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 7:29 AM by ALW765

need help making a calendar in dreamweaver

ALW765 Level 1

I'm building a website and I would like to put a 12 month calendar up to show gig dates and other events.

Thank you for your help.

• 2. Re: need help making a calendar in dreamweaver
          370H55V Level 4

There's a really neat and easy to install month by month event calendar at http://calendar.pikesys.com.

I've used it on about four sites with terrific results. Totally customizable to match your sites stylesheet.  Best of all, it's free.

• 3. Re: need help making a calendar in dreamweaver
            ALW765 Level 1

I checked out that site and even downloaded a calendar file. I'm new to this whole javascript thing, just now getting the hang of HTML. No where in the download did I see what code I should copy and paste into my page. I know I would have to place something into my code to have the calendar show up on my HTML page. Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.

• 4. Re: need help making a calendar in dreamweaver
              370H55V Level 4

There should be a sample calendar page that has code which looks like this:

<!-- source external JavaScripts here

crunched.js is a compressed form of the calendar rendering script.

one or more files such as events.js define your events.

a file such as external_date_functions.js returns alternate date and holiday text

-->

<script src="crunched.js"></script>

<script src="events.js"></script>

<script src="external_date_functions.js"></script>

<!-- source common settings here to make it easier to share settings with print and export pages.

Forgetting to also update the corresponding print or export pages is a common problem.

-->

<script src="common.js"></script>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">

<!--

// override default settings and those from the sample_common.js file here

showAltDate = true;      // add display of alternate date using results from user supplied "getAltMonth(dy, mo, yr, last)" and "getAltDate(dy, mo, yr)" functions

showHolidays = true;     // add display of holidays using result from user supplied "holidays(dy, mo, yr)" function

showAltHoly = true;     // add display of alternate holidays using result from user supplied "getAltHoly(dy, mo, yr)" function

DefaultFormat = "layer";

ExportPage = "export.html";

PrintPage = "print.html";

defaultMsgBox = "Did you know you can advertise here? Call us for more information.<p>";

Calendar( );

// --></script>

You just paste that into the main container section of your page, and then you adjust the things needed in crunched.js and in the events.js

There's a brief but thorough tutorial at the site on how to integrate it. If you want to see how it works, (and this was my first attempt at it) check here at: http://chuystucson.com/calendars/calendar-nascar.html.

I'll be honest. I don't know a lot about javascript (yet) and I was able to put this into the page and match my styles in about twenty minutes. Updating it for 2010 took about an hour because of all the typing involved, but it's up and I don't have to mess with it again 'til next January.

Also a caviat. You won't see this calendar in DW while you're working on it. Since it's all generated by the javascript, you have to preview it in a browser to see it and make changes based on it from there

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: need help making a calendar in dreamweaver
                ALW765 Level 1

Thanks, but I ended up using a google calendar.