9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 6:01 AM by daaave

Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations

MissMonksilver Level 1

Hello,

I have been using Fireworks since it's first version but I have not used it for a couple of years - probably since about CS2 so much has changed.

I've watched a few tutorials but things aren't working as expected. I've tried numerous ways to make  a simple sequence of fading type (words fading in and out) but can't get it working in FW so I went to Flash and tried exporting a png and a gif animation - neither worked when I exported from FW and I can't seem to find a tutorial to help with how to explort a document that contains a Master page, multiple pages, rollovers and animation. Surely it can't be that hard!!! If someone can point me in the direction of either a video or pdf tutorial that can help I'd be very grateful!

Also, yesterday I worked all day on my web site, changing the organisation of everything as I progressively worked my way through the tutorials. Last night I exported the site and at least got each page, with rollovers and links working but the gradient was stepped and the animation failed. As far as I knew when I packed up last night, everything was in place - all the pages that I set up, all the buttons I had created but when I opened it today all I have is the document version from two days ago plus another document called 00000002.png which has a few of the things I'd worked on yesterday.

Please help! I'm so behind on this project and I thought I had been so careful! I don't want to lose everything again.

• 1. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Can you be more specific about the problem you had animating in Fireworks?  What wasn't working about it? You say you went to Flash and tried exporting an animation in GIF or PNG format? An d then tried exporting the result from Fireworks? I'm a bit confused about your workflow. Can you give a step by step description of what you did, and upload a copy of your Fireworks file? As for the lost data problem, are you sure you saved an editable copy of the PNG file in the folder you are trying to find it in?

• 2. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
            MissMonksilver Level 1

Hi Linda

Thank you for responding

I wanted to have words fading in and out in the same location, on top of each other but sequentially so only each word would be see at one time. I understand about 'states' which are similar to frames in Flash, but I couldn't work out how to progress from getting the first word to fade in, how to then get it to fade out and then the same with the rest of the words. What seemed to happen was each element would animate over the top of the other so that they all happen at the same time, not sequentially - I hope this makes sense!

It's so easy to do in Flash!

Unfortunately I have lost much of my attempts so that uploading the file for you might not be much help.

When I couldn't get the animation to do what I wanted in Fireworks (even when I got part of the animation working it still would not export - do I need to put a slice on it and set properties?) I went to Flash and exported the animation (all working fine) then imported it into Flash as a symbol (animation) then tried to export it - but nothing will export.

I'm also having difficulty being able to export different parts of the page in different formats. Some areas would be better as JPEG and others as GIF but when I go to Export Wizard it just reads the whole page as one.

When I exported I also set the page to be centred (I exported to Dreamweaver format) and to use a background image - none of those things worked.

I'm so confused! FW was such an easy program to use in past versions. I'm happy to read/watch tutorials to learn more if you can point me in the right direction.

PS. Yes, I checked the location of the file, did a search and it's the only copy of it. But there was a second file called 000002.png which had some of my lost data but not all.

• 3. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
              MissMonksilver Level 1

I'm just uploading my file. Hope it makes sense!

(I've recreated everything that I lost, always quicker the second time around!)

• 4. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
                MissMonksilver Level 1

This is what I want to achieve with the animated text. I created this in Flash, which is easy of course!

• 5. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
                  Linda Nicholls Level 4

I agree that it is easier to do in Flash. It can be done in Fireworks, however. :-)

Step1 - FADING IN:

1-In the Export File Format pop-up menu, select Animated GIF.
                  2-Choose Window > States to open the States panel. Click State 1.

3-Type your text. Note its position (x & y coordinates) carefully so you can be sure you place the other text in exactly the same spot.

4-With the text object still selected, choose Modify > Animation> Animate Selection to open the Animate dialog box.

5-Set the appropriate values in the various text boxes in the Animate dialog box. Generally a change in opacity of 10% between increments will give a smooth transition, so a 0% to 100% transition will appear smooth over 10 States.

A message box will appear, asking if you want to create additional Statess for the animation. Allow the additional States to be created.

6-The symbol will now appear on the canvas. Since you've set your animated symbol to start at 0% opacity, it will appear transparent in State 1.

Step2 - FADING OUT:

1-Open the States panel and click the last State.

2-Click the Add Frames button at the bottom of the States panel to add an additional State.

3-Choose Window > Document Library to open the Document Library panel.

4-Drag an instance (copy) of the symbol you made in step 1 from the Library panel to the canvas.

5-Carefully position the instance at the same x & y coordinates you made note of in step 1.

6-With the symbol selected, change the animation settings in the Property inspector to fade the symbol out over 10 States.

7-Test the first part of your animation by clicking the Play button at the bottom of the Canvas window

Step3- CREATING A SECOND TEXT FADE IN:

1-Open the States panel and click the State on which the first animation ends.

2-Type you new text, then carefully align it to the x & y coordinates you used earlier.

3-With the text object still selected, choose Modify > Animation> Animate Selection to open the Animate dialog box. The settings will be the same as your first text fade in.

A message box will appear, asking if you want to create additional States for the animation. Allow the additional States to be created.

4-The symbol will now appear on the canvas. Since you've set your animated symbol to start at 0% opacity, it will appear transparent in State 1.

Step4- CREATING A SECOND TEXT FADE OUT:

To finish this technique, you'll only need to add one more symbol instance that fades out. The steps will be the same as Step 2 above.

Note that each button, animation, image object etc. needs to be covered with a slice to export properly. Set up the export type for each slice by selecting it and choosing the appropriate settings in the Optimise panel. Because you've done your optimisation and per slice file type settings in the Optimize panel, simply choose File > Export to export your document.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
                    MissMonksilver Level 1

Hi Linda

Thanks for that detailed explanation! I will try what you have suggested and let you know how it goes.

• 7. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
                      MissMonksilver Level 1

Hi Linda

This is embarrassing to admit but I was stuck before I even started with your instructions. I wasn't sure if you were meaning to animate this section directly within the document I'm already working on or if I should create it in another document, as a symbol then transfer it over. Also, I was unable to locate "Export File Format" pop-up menu - searched everywhere for it!

In the end I've decided that it would be easier to make a slice so that an image can be deleted then replaced with a swf which will work how I want it to.

I took on board your advice about attributing specific export formats for each slice and have gone through each page, ensuring that I have attributed the appropriate export setting for each area of the image. However, when I exported the areas that I selected as high quality JPEG still exported as GIFs. I need to have some areas of the image as JPEGs because I have a gradient and photographic images.

I have created a Master page which all the other pages are based on but the subsequent pages don't export with the slices applied to the sub set of navigation items.

Also, from the HTML perspective, despite checking and re-checking my settings, the file will not centre and will not include the background image that I selected.

Is there a set of online training videos I can watch to help me with these problems? I can't work out if it's something I'm doing wrong or if I'm asking the software to do something it's not meant to do.

I've also been trying to work out how to make the text remain as editable text when it reaches the html document but I can't seem to find that either!

• 8. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
                        Linda Nicholls Level 4

" I wasn't sure if you were meaning to animate this section directly within the document I'm already working on "

Yes, although you can always create the animation seperately and add it to your page in Dreamweaver. While we are at it, I might as well suggest that you create images only Fireworks, export them to a site you've defined in Dreamweaveer, and use the exported images to build your web site pages in Dreamweaver.

" Also, I was unable to locate "Export File Format" pop-up menu - searched everywhere for it!"

It's a drop down list found in the Optimize panel. Here's a great tutorial by David Hogue about using pages, states, and layers in Fireworks.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/pages_states_layers.html

• 9. Re: Help! Fireworks lost 5 hours of work and wont export animations
                          daaave Level 2

it's also a good idea to save iterations of the same file - so save as filename1.png, filename2,png and so on every half hour or so, or every major modification. you can always go back after and delete the earlier versions.