7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 5:19 PM by AnneClark33

Dreamweaver Cs4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size

derekzxy

Hi There,

I have just installed a trial verson of DW CS4 on my IMAC, I found that the source code font size is too small which makes it too difficult to read, is there a way to increase the size of the source code?

Thanks

Derek

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver Cs4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
          mhollis55 Level 4

The usual way on a Mac to increase the size or zoom of a page (pretty much any page) is to press [command]-+.

So I did this. And the only thing that will expand (I'm using CS3) is the Design view. Additionally, there is a command from within Dreamweaver itself that allows you to zoom (or reduce) the size of the page you are working on -- but this capability goes away as soon as you look at any code.

It would appear that Adobe is ignoring Apple's Application Programming Guidelines, because [command]-+ works for every other application that runs on a Macintosh (though I'm not using BBEdit which I would imagine would be a similar code editor).

So, there is a workaround that will work, though it's kind of nasty.

Open up your System Preferences. Click on Universal Access. With the "Seeing" tab selected, turn on the Zoom.

Hold down [option]-[command]-+

The area you are working on will zoom in.

You can turn on and off Zoom assistance using [option]-[command]-8 if you don't want to have to go into your System Preferences>Universal Access controls to get this turned on quickly while you are writing code.

I do note that in Leopard (I am not using Snow Leopard) the Universal Access control tells me that zoom in is [option]-[command]-= and that is true on the regular keyboard, but I have an extended keyboard and I am used to pressing the "+" key on the number keypad (which works).

I realize that using this control is a workaround and that it would probably be a good thing for Adobe to try to get their applications to better fit Apple's guidelines.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver Cs4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
            derekzxy Level 1

Thanks mholls, it works, however it actually zooming the whole screen but the source code alone, why didnt Adobe allow the user to set the font size of the source code anyway..??? disappointed

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
              mhollis55 Level 4

Well I agree with you. This is a workaround that utilizes Apple's Universal Access system to force the Adobe application to do what it ought to do natively. And I'm disappointed as well.

I know about using this because it's been a part of the Apple OS X interface since 10.0, I think. And you can seriously play a prank on people by opening this pane up, altering the display and putting another user's computer to sleep. When they wake from sleep, they'll freak out.

... Which is why it's always good practice to log out when you're done working on your computer for a while.

But it will get you magnification in code. It's dirty, it's wrong and Adobe ought to have stuck with Apple's recommendations for their application. Another Adobe programming habit they have is to use Windows is the standard with respect to dialog boxes. Apple applications will let you change the focus from a dialog box to somewhere else if you need to get more information for filling out a dialog box. Adobe's applications insist you cancel the dialog box first (and you may be half way to completion at this time). They're not harnessing the usability of the OS X interface.

I suppose we could complain...

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver Cs4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
                370H55V Level 4

Go into your preferences....under fonts... you can select the size of the code font there. (see attached)

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver Cs4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
                  mhollis55 Level 4

That's the solution.

A lot of noodling around to just change the font size.

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver Cs4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
                    ejohnkevin

You have made my day. This is the solution.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 On Mac - How to increase the source code font size
                      AnneClark33

Go to Dreamweaver > Preferences > Fonts > Code View.

You can change the font and the size. What a relief!