6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2007 8:29 AM by downum

Administrative Privileges for playback

downum
      Many of our customers have limited access privileges on their computer accounts. We are creating a movie for a customer that has video files included as a cast member in the time line. The author can play it back, but the test machines with limited access permissions only see a red X.

Is there a list of items that require admin privileges somewhere?
      Is there a work-a-round or extra that would fix this problem?

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Administrative Privileges for playback
          Level 7
          A red cross implies a missing asset xtra. Try creating a stub projector
          with an external 'xtras' folder (if you aren't already) in case they are
          failing to be extracted from the projector at run time:
          < http://kb.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14431>
          • 2. Re: Administrative Privileges for playback
            Level 7
            That's a good reason to go with flash video. No installer required. Works
            great. Less filling.

"downum" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fbk8ep$1qn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Many of our customers have limited access privileges on their computer
            > accounts. We are creating a movie for a customer that has video files
            > included
            > as a cast member in the time line. The author can play it back, but the
            > test
            > machines with limited access permissions only see a red X.
            >
            > Is there a list of items that require admin privileges
            > somewhere?
            > Is there a work-a-round or extra that would fix this problem?
            >
            > Thank you!
            >

• 3. Re: Administrative Privileges for playback
              Level 7
              Or it may indicate that Quicktime is not installed even if the xtra is
              present.

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fbkb8c$4r4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >A red cross implies a missing asset xtra. Try creating a stub projector
              >with an external 'xtras' folder (if you aren't already) in case they are
              >failing to be extracted from the projector at run time:
              >< http://kb.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14431>

• 4. Re: Administrative Privileges for playback
                downum Level 1
                Our Guy is working on Sean Wilsons suggestion right now. We are not using Quicktime. I will see if something I have will convert to Flash Video. I thought of that, but I do not know a lot about that format.

We could not even view the movie ourselves until our computer guy logged on as administrator. We have to have special training to be allowed to have administrative privileges.

I will get back with you both when he is done trying the first suggestion, I will also attempt the flv.
                Thanks
                • 5. Administrative Privileges for playback
                  Applied CD Level 1
                  I’ve got projects out in the field using both WMV and MPG through MPEG Advance Xtra that play fine on restricted access accounts (both XP and Vista) as long as Windows Media Player is reasonably up to date (ie: as long as the codec is already installed). No QuickTime required.

The suggestions offered above about tracking down your missing xtra are likely to solve your problem, however, if you really want to force your program to run as admin you can find instructions here: http://www.mods.com.au/budapi/ (click on the Notes for Vista Users link, then scroll to about the middle of the page. I believe the instructions apply to both XP and Vista although I haven't verified this) I’ve got to warn you, forcing your app to run as admin isn’t a pretty solution, restricted users will constantly be asked for permission to allow the program to run, I’d only do this as a last resort. Again, your issue is much more likely to be just a missing xtra.
                  • 6. Re: Administrative Privileges for playback
                    downum Level 1
                    OK, here is what happened. We made sure the Xtras were where they needed to be. It worked fine on a non-restricted machine, but not the restricted. We even brought the disk home to run on our own computers and they worked fine.

Most of the computer Xtras are mysteriously missing on the computer that originally has the entire Director program on it. The folder is empty except for the buddy API we purchased a couple of years ago...all of them are gone. The powers that be, must have decided that there was some kind of vulnerability and deleted them.

So now we have to come up with a solution that will work any way. I wonder if Flash has the same permissions problems...I will make up something and test it.

Thanks for all the help.