4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 6:40 AM by Aland Islands

Problems? Runing PE 8 in Win 7 64 or 32 bits

Aland Islands

Building a new machine and are soon starting to install OS and programs. My question is: should I install Win7 64 bit or 32 bit? I am gona run PE8. Is there a good idea to install 64 bit and try, and if it do´nt work change and install 32 bit,is that possible? Does anyone know if there has been problems with Win7/ PE8? The machine has MB: Asus P6T SE, CPU:Core I7 920, mem..12 Gb DDR3 1600, 1 SSD 60GB+ 4 Samsung Spinp.3 1TB in raid 5 and a graph.card:XFX Radeon HD 5770. Does anyone know anything about converting TS videofiles to MPEG 4, AVI or other formats,that I can run on my computer or burn to DVD? I have tryed a lot of conv.progr. but it does not work. Maybe this is question are for another forum?

Thankful for all answeres.

Ål.Isl.

• 1. Re: Problems? Runing PE 8 in Win 7 64 or 32 bits
          nealeh Level 5

Aland Islands wrote:

... My question is: should I install Win7 64 bit or 32 bit? ... change and install 32 bit,is that possible? Does anyone know if there has been problems with Win7/ PE8? The machine has ... mem..12 Gb DDR3 1600

64 bit is the way forward. In 32 bit only around 4GB of your 12GB memory will be used.

The switch, from 64bit to 32bit, will depend on your licence. I think that in some countries the W7 retail pack includes both. Some however do not. For example, because I have children in full time education, I am eligible for the student discount scheme in Britain (around £60 / $95 for W7 Ultimate and £35 / $55 for Office 2007 Enterprise) - however the W7 disk contains only the 64-bit version

Loads of people on this forum are having dreadful troubles with PRE8. While some may be because they have W7-64 there are just as many with problems on W7-32 as well. I suggest you scan the forums to see what troubles people have had - in some cases Adobe have let them downgrade to PRE7. I run PRE7 on W7-64 with very few problems (but my projects are all SD). Unless PRE8 has some 'must have' features for you, you may be better off with PRE7.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Problems? Runing PE 8 in Win 7 64 or 32 bits
            Aland Islands Level 1

ThankYou Neale for your advice. I have allredy got W7 and Prem.Elements 8.

The W7 retail pack includes both 32 and 64 bit. Do you think that I should

try to install the 64 bit first and see how it works. or? Maybe its a waist

of memory to run 32 bit as I have 12 Gb. What do you think?

Ål.Isl.

• 3. Re: Problems? Runing PE 8 in Win 7 64 or 32 bits
              nealeh Level 5

I'd say go for it (W7-64). After installation:

1. Go to windows update and get all the update packages.
              2. Go to the supplier of your Media hardware (audio and graphics) and get the 64bit versions of their drivers.
              3. Go to the Apple web site and install the latest QuickTime version.
              4. Install PRE8.
              5. Test PRE8.

Do NOT install any other software applications at this time for two reasons:

1. You get to play with PRE8 in the best environment you can - little likelihood of other apps eating up processor resource, or installing their own codecs, or antivirus software interfering with every disk read/write you make.
              2. If you have to scrap it and revert to W7-32 you won't have wasted time installing other apps in W7-64 that you will need to reinstall in W7-32.

If everything works well for you inW7-64 I suggest you loop steps 4 & 5 for each new application you add. If PRE8 starts to fail you will know what the last piece of application software you installed.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Problems? Runing PE 8 in Win 7 64 or 32 bits
                Aland Islands Level 1

ThankYou Neale, I will follow your advice, I will let you know how it

worked.

Ål.Isl.