6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 2:04 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE 4 Menu templates

pyvo

Hi,

New to PE4 having come from the competition, I am searching for help with creating DVD / BD menus:

1/ How can I modify or access a template with no pictures and with more than 4 lines of "scene" text ?

I only found 1 template (Popcorn Movie) without pictures and there were only 4 lines of text for possible 'scenes' - as I am producing footage of a concert (that I sung in) and we sang 21 songs, I would like to have approx 10-12 scene lines per (sub-)menu page. At present, I have 6 pages of scene menus !!

2/ How to hide unwanted objects on existing templates ?
      Re the menu template above (Popcorn Movie), I can only reduce and reposition the objects (red ribbons) or delete text from the text objects. How is it possible to remove them completely ?

3/ How to change colour of font ?

When selecting the scene lines of text, there is police attributes menu which allows you to change the colour of the text - however, it changes only the main colour of the text and not the 'bevel' (outside). - I'd like to either change the bevel to the same colour as the text or remove the bevel altegether - but how ?

4/ How to create seperate scene pages for each entry on 'main' menu ?

For the current project, there is the main concert, a secondary concert and a bonus 'behind the scenes' - I would like the main menu to enable access to each of these 3 but when selecting main concert or secondary concert, would like to have separate scene menus. I followed help-page instructions and added in a Stop Menu and a Main Menu marker between the 3 bits of footage but ended up with 1 main menu and scene menus which contained chapters from a mix of the 2 concerts.

I did manage to change the background image for the menus.

I have also read the help-pages to menus but the answers to my questions below are not available or difficult to find.

Thanks for your help.

Pentium Duo 2.23GHz, 4Gb DDR, 260Gb HDD with 320Gb external HDD, Sony HDR HC9, captured footage in HDV (m2t), intention to burn to DVD AND BD

• 1. Re: PE 4 Menu templates
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are many custom DVD templates at http://muvipix.com/ among both the free downloads and even more among the subscriber pieces. There is a text only menu template among them, but with only four lines of text on the main menu.

To get more than that, you'll need to actually modify the template (a PSD) file itself in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. This is not easy, but you'll find instructions for doing on both on the Muvipix site and in my Photoshop/Premiere Elements combined books available at Muvipix.com and on Amazon. It's a pretty complicated system, and you need to honor the naming and layer set hierarchy or the templates will not work, so I recommend you do use one of our instruction sets.

As an alternative, there is DVD Architect Studio, a $49.95 program from Sony that's only $39.95 if you download it from the Sony site. DVD Architect is a dedicated DVD authoring app that enables you to very easily do all of the things you're looking to do, including create multi-level, multi-page menu sets for your DVDs.

There are a number of tutorials for DVD Architect Studio also on Muvipix.com (as well as my book). The Basic Training set of tutorials are free, and you can look them over and see if you like the program. You can find them here.

You'll do your editing in Premiere Elements and then export your videos as DVD-quality MPEGs for creation as DVDs in DVD Architect.

• 2. Re: PE 4 Menu templates
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve makes very good points and his suggestions are very good.

Because of the semi-automatic authoring, that is done in PrE, things must follow certain conventions very strictly. I use Adobe's full-featured authoring app., Encore, which follows some of the same conventions, but is fully manual, unlike that semi-automatic authoring in PrE. Though I build my own DVD Menus constantly, I have to be very careful, when working on Menu Sets in PrE, as there are many more conventions, and if one omits any, even in very slight ways, things can go horribly wrong.

His tutorials are excellent and will step you through the process correctly. I also strongly recommend that one work ONLY with copies of the Template Menu Sets, and when done, place them into separate, but otherwise identical locations within the Templates' folder hierarchy.

The first thing that I would do would be to spend a bit of time with Windows Explorer, studying the folder hierarchy, and also exactly which files are in each sub-folder. This is very important. Next, I'd spend plenty of time studying the Layers and Layer Sets in a copy of the Menu Set, that I wanted to modify. When you open up the Layers Palette in PS/PSE, there will be a lot of Layers, and most will have rather odd names. Study those names - every character, as some of those characters are very important (they tell PrE what each Layer does), and must be in the exact same place always. Some other characters can be changed, with no problem, but one MUST know which characters are "sacred."

I build DVD Menus daily, but have to work more slowly and more carefully, if the Menu Set is for PrE, and it's because of that semi-automatic nature of authoring, employed by PrE.

Good luck, but go slowly and work very carefully. I'd keep an unaltered Menu Set Open, to study in detail, even while you work.

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE 4 Menu templates
              pyvo Level 1

Thanks Steve !!

I'll take a look asap

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 06:19:32 -0700

Subject: Premiere Elements PE 4 Menu templates

There are many custom DVD templates at http://muvipix.com/ among both the free downloads and even more among the subscriber pieces. There is a text only menu template among them, but with only four lines of text on the main menu.

To get more than that, you'll need to actually modify the template (a PSD) file itself in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. This is not easy, but you'll find instructions for doing on both on the Muvipix site and in my Photoshop/Premiere Elements combined books available at Muvipix.com and on Amazon. It's a pretty complicated system, and you need to honor the naming and layer set hierarchy or the templates will not work, so I recommend you do use one of our instruction sets.

As an alternative, there is DVD Architect Studio, a $49.95 program from Sony that's only $39.95 if you download it from the Sony site. DVD Architect is a dedicated DVD authoring app that enables you to very easily do all of the things you're looking to do, including create multi-level, multi-page menu sets for your DVDs.

There are a number of tutorials for DVD Architect Studio also on Muvipix.com (as well as my book). The Basic Training set of tutorials are free, and you can look them over and see if you like the program. You can find them http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=dvd+architect&btn.x=0&btn.y=0.

>

• 4. Re: PE 4 Menu templates
                pyvo Level 1

Thanks Bill !!

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:16:34 -0700

Subject: Premiere Elements PE 4 Menu templates

Steve makes very good points and his suggestions are very good.

Because of the semi-automatic authoring, that is done in PrE, things must follow certain conventions very strictly. I use Adobe's full-featured authoring app., Encore, which follows some of the same conventions, but is fully manual, unlike that semi-automatic authoring in PrE. Though I build my own DVD Menus constantly, I have to be very careful, when working on Menu Sets in PrE, as there are many more conventions, and if one omits any, even in very slight ways, things can go horribly wrong.

His tutorials are excellent and will step you through the process correctly. I also strongly recommend that one work ONLY with copies of the Template Menu Sets, and when done, place them into separate, but otherwise identical locations within the Templates' folder hierarchy.

The first thing that I would do would be to spend a bit of time with Windows Explorer, studying the folder hierarchy, and also exactly which files are in each sub-folder. This is very important. Next, I'd spend plenty of time studying the Layers and Layer Sets in a copy of the Menu Set, that I wanted to modify. When you open up the Layers Palette in PS/PSE, there will be a lot of Layers, and most will have rather odd names. Study those names - every character, as some of those characters are very important (they tell PrE what each Layer does), and must be in the exact same place always. Some other characters can be changed, with no problem, but one MUST know which characters are "sacred."

I build DVD Menus daily, but have to work more slowly and more carefully, if the Menu Set is for PrE, and it's because of that semi-automatic nature of authoring, employed by PrE.

Good luck, but go slowly and work very carefully. I'd keep an unaltered Menu Set Open, to study in detail, even while you work.

Hunt

>

• 5. Re: PE 4 Menu templates
                  pyvo Level 1

Thanks - and sorry for the repeated answers above which I now understand get posted when I reply to the answers I receive by eMail !! New forum idea to me.

Could the moderator please remove my last 2 posts above which contain my eMail address which, to save me from eMail flooding, I would prefer not to be shown here ?
                  Thanks

• 6. Re: PE 4 Menu templates
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All set, Pyvo!