6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 3:07 PM by John Hall

Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue

John Hall Level 4

I have a TabNavigator. The script controlling portion of it is:

private function init():void{
                      tabNavBar.selectedIndex = 2;
                  }

this works fine as the third tab is selected upon creationComplete of the component.

However, if I send in an int via scripting, nothing changes.

public function changeTab( e:FormEvent ):void {
                      Alert.show("Event value passed in is " + e.tabIndex.toString());           // Alerts Event value passed in is 0
                      Alert.show("Starting value is " + tabNavBar.selectedIndex.toString());  // Alerts starting value is -1 (no children??)
                      tabNavBar.selectedIndex = e.tabIndex;
                      Alert.show("Tab is now" + tabNavBar.selectedIndex.toString());          // Alerts Tab is now 0 (correct but doesn't change)
                  }

Things I've tried:

validateNow();

int(e.tabIndex)

e.tabIndex as int;

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue
          David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

the following code changes the tabnavigator programmatically, when you press the tabbar the change event then sets the tabnavigator to match . When you set the selected index it should just work, are you doing this from a popup window as that may have an effect on how the component updates(note: I'm using the latest sdk).

you could try setting the update flag(this shouldn't really have any effect), tabnav.updateCompletePendingFlag=true; but without the full code its hard to say what the problem is.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" minWidth="955" minHeight="600"

creationComplete="application1_creationCompleteHandler(event)">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

import mx.events.FlexEvent;

import spark.events.IndexChangeEvent;

[Bindable] private var myArr:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection(['1','2','3']);

protected function application1_creationCompleteHandler(event:FlexEvent):void

{

tabnav.selectedIndex = 1;

}

protected function buttonbar1_changeHandler(event:IndexChangeEvent):void

{

tabnav.selectedIndex = event.newIndex;

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<fx:Declarations>

<!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects) here -->

</fx:Declarations>

<mx:TabNavigator id="tabnav" x="174" y="191" width="579" height="254">

<s:NavigatorContent label="Tab 1" width="100%" height="100%">

</s:NavigatorContent>

<s:NavigatorContent label="Tab 2" width="100%" height="100%">

<s:NavigatorContent label="Tab 3" width="100%" height="100%">

</mx:TabNavigator>

<s:ButtonBar x="204" y="78" dataProvider="{myArr}" change="buttonbar1_changeHandler(event)"/>

</s:Application>

• 2. Re: Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue
            John Hall Level 4

If I put a button near the tab navigator and control it there it's fine. It's solely when the index is passed in as an event property, which is pretty strange. I'll see if I can make a pared down repro but it's one of those awful things where you're 40 files into a project in the nightly builds and this little thing pops up. Creating a repro almost entails creating a new app since I'm also using the Mate framework. ARgh.

• 3. Re: Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue
              John Hall Level 4

OK. Created a little repro if anyone has time to take a look. This zip file is an export out of FlashBuilder so you should be able to import directly.

Since it does seem to make a difference these days, I'm using build 13654 on this right now.  In fact, with the latest build the test file couldn't find sparkSkins and I wasn't patient enough to debug for a repro case.

Thanks for any insights.

• 4. Re: Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue
                Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Mate is creating a new instance of the TabNavigator in order to handle the

FormEvent.

• 5. Re: Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue
                  John Hall Level 4

What a great clue. That's a programming error on my part then. Thanks!! I could have scratched my head for a while.

• 6. Re: Tabnavigator selectedIndex issue
                    John Hall Level 4

One line of code and it's all fixed. Thanks so much as usual.