8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 6:07 PM by ISTMAN

Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX

ISTMAN

I am very new to Premiere.  I received a file from a friend who wants me to convert the video to NTSC DV widescreen.  I imported the MP4 file and added it to the timeline.  I was able to convert fine with exception to an aspect ratio issue.  So, I decided to try again.  Much to my surprise I find the audio track is corrupt.  The first part of the track is fine except with occassional pops & cracks, then after about 10 minutes the entire audio track turns to peaked white noise?  I checked the modify date of the source file and sure enough it has changed.  I did not tell Premiere to overwrite anything and thought it woudl not alter source files.  How can this be?  What can I do?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Import the complete BPAV directory.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
            ISTMAN Level 1

Okay, I just did.  All it seemed to do is import all of the files at once and listed a bunch of unsupported files.

The audio tracks are still corrupt.

• 3. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you allow time for conforming and creation of peak files?

• 4. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
                sync2rhythm Level 1

Normally if an XDCam EX clip has not yet finished Conforming the audio will drop out. I've never heard of or seen this 'White Noise' thing happening.

Using Sony's XDCam EX Clip Browser - point to the BPAV folder and see if the clip(s) play correctly.

If so, you can try to export from the XDCam EX Clip Browser a clip for use in an NLE.

Also, VLCPlayer works for me to play the .mp4 file.

Either of these apps should allow you to see if it's just a Premiere thing or truly a Media thing.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
                  ISTMAN Level 1

Great suggetion.  I used the clip browser and it sounds like the clip is not corrupt.  Whew!!  I have 7 clips in all.  All but one sound fine when placed in the Premiere timeline.  I cleared the media cache but can't seem to get this first clip to play the audio track correctly.  Is there a way to get the Premiere to "rescan" the audio track?

• 6. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Is there a way to get the Premiere to "rescan" the audio track?

You could Delete the Clip from both the Timeline and the Project Panel. Then, re-Import that Clip from the HDD. Watch the lower-right of the GUI for the Conforming progress bar to complete, before doing any editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you might want to also update both your video and audio cards' drivers, just in case. However, I cannot see how only one of the Clips would be affected. It sounds like its audio did not completely Conform.

• 7. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
                      ISTMAN Level 1

Thank you all for your help.  What I ended up doing was create a new project and import the entire BPAV directory.  However, after conforming, there was still one clip's audio track that was corrupt.  So, I decided to create yet another project and inport only the single troubled clip.  After conforming the audio track was still corrupt.  I did look at the audio tracks closely and they were corrupt in the same place.  (eg. the beginning of the track was fine and then suddenly at a set point the track would go bad).  I know it is not a bad file because Sony's player plays it fine.  So, I did some checking and found the "Media Cache Files" folder.  I blew the contents away, recreated another new project and imported the troubled clip.  After conforming I find the audio in Premiere is just fine.  The media cache files were taking up a lot of space but had not nearly filled the drive.  What ever it was I'm glad there is a forum like this to help us new users.

Thanks again,

ISTMAN

• 8. Re: Premiere corrupted the audio track of XDCAM EX
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well great news, but sorry that you had to jump through so many hoops. The media cache files can cause issues, with "smurfed" Imports, in both PrPro and Encore. In the latter, it is often after a Build.

Thanks for reporting your tribulations, as it will help many of us help others, and will likely help others, when the find your post.

That things are going well now is excellent.

Good luck,

Hunt