10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2010 9:31 AM by Sorin Sbarnea RSS

keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

Christian Davideck Community Member

Hi everyone.

I have a similar problemas ElliR below, as I'm working in a foreign country and have to use a foreign keyboard (no way around this), while my Photoshop CS3 is still in English. (Switching the keyboard layout to English software-wise is not a viable solution either for various reasons.)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2019553#2019553

ElliR wrote:

Whilst I'm using an English language version of CS4 (in fact my OS (XP Pro) and all applications are also in English) I'm stuck with a German keyboard out of necessity.

The problem is that some characters needed for the shortcuts in Photoshop (English) are only available via modifier keys on the foreign language keyboard, and thus won't be recognized as valid shortcuts by Photoshop.

Some shortcuts can be customized, so that is a very good solution. But I have the impression, that not all of them can. What about ALT+] and ALT+[ for up/down one layer for example ? I couldn't find those in edit >> keyboard shortcuts.

Do you know a different solution, or do you know how to customize *any* keyboard shortcut in Photoshop ? Thank you.

• 1. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard
          acresofgreen Community Member

Hi Christian, see the answer I replied to the other thread you refer to.

My tip is to keep a pic of the US keyboard layout handy and use that as a guide to what keys to press.  See where the bracket keys are?  Just use the keys that are in that same position on your German keyboard.  The Alt + [ and Alt + ]  on the US keyboard  for layer up and layer down are Alt + Ü and Alt + *  on a German keyboard.  Anyway, it works for me.  Good luck!

US Keyboard layout.JPG

• 2. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

Thanks for helping acresofgreen.Judging from your comment, I imagine you have a German keyboard, which you apply a US keyboard layout to. In my OP I said that having a mismatching keyboard/keyboard layout is not a viable solution for me, unfortunately.

• 3. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

Hi Christian, from your reply it looks like you think I am changing my keyboard layout.  In your OP you say "Switching the keyboard layout to English software-wise is not a viable solution".   However I don't switch anything software-wise. I only press the Ü key when I want to reduce my brush size, because that is where the [ key is on the U.S. keyboard. If you have a different foreign language keyboard (not German), then some other letter will be printed on the key, but that is the key you have to press to get the result you want.

If you find a better solution, I would be glad to hear it.

• 4. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

Thank you for styaying on this topic. Tell me, are you completely sure about your keyboard layout? Do you have a Windows OS and see the German code in the status bar, instead of EN for English, in case you have multiple layouts installed? Or if you only have one, what does it say in ControlPanel>>regional and language options ?

That's weird, because I had the opposite case in the past, i.e. I had to switch a foreign language keyboard to English layout in order to make shortcuts work in some applications. And if you think about it, this is plain logical because if you need to type, say, CTRL+] and you hit that on a German keyboard (to stick with your example), you would press the"+" key. But if Photoshop receives the shortcut CTRL++ it will zoom in instead. So I have no idea what's actually going on on your system.

And no, neither I nor anyone else here has come up with a solution so far, but I'll let you know here of course if there are any news.

• 5. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

I am really using a German keyboard with the German keyboard driver active, word of honor!  (Otherwise I wouldn't be able to type öüäß )

• The PC that has Photoshop CS4 (Engl) installed on it has:
                  • Windows Vista Home Premium (German)
                  • Regional Settings in Control Panel: German (language) and Germany (location)
                  • Both English and German keyboard layouts are installed and I can switch between them if I want, but I only use the German one and I can see that it is active in the Task Bar ("DE")

In your example CTRL ++ (for zooming in) I can't use the key that has the plus sign printed on it.  I need to hit CTRL plus the second key to the right of the zero key in the top row in order to zoom in.  That just happens to be the position of the plus key on the US keyboard.

I have assumed that this is a general behavior that would work on all systems, but maybe there is something about my setup that makes it behave differently. If so, I guess I am lucky, because I am quite happy with the way things are.  All the shortcuts are working fine as long as I refer to my "cheat sheet" to lookup the right keys to press. 

Have you actually tried this out with PS on your own keyboard?  I am asking because you say "I had an opposite case in the past... in some applications".

• 6. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard
                    dec9 Community Member

Can you use the left click on the mouse for zooming in/out with the function selected?

• 7. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

I was so laughing when reading

(Otherwise I wouldn't be able to type öüäß )

... still laughing. continuing reading ...

• 8. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

Do you mean clicking on the image with the magnifying glass tool selected?  That works indeed, currently a click will zoom out and Alt Click will zoom in, but I've had it the other way around, too.

• 9. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard

dec9 wrote:

Can you use the left click on the mouse for zooming in/out with the function selected?

I'm not sure if I interpreted your question correctly, but if you mean "can I zoom out via ALT+mouse left-click when zoom tool is selected?" then the answer is yes. If not, please specify.

Why?

• 10. Re: keyboard shortcuts: English Photoshop + foreign keyboard
                            Sorin Sbarnea Community Member

If you had issues regarding the keyboard shortcuts like the ones above please complete this international keyboard shortcuts survey.