5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 7:15 PM by kglad

optimizing movie clips

Adscp

Hi

I'm working with a few .flv movie clips in my timeline based flash file. I've imported and embedded the files into movieclip symbols. My file is now sluggish and close to 10mgb. What's the best way to optimize the videos so my .fla and final .swf are as small as possible?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: optimizing movie clips
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

first, don't import flv's to your timeline.  that causes a number of problems, one of which you've noticed already.

the easiest way to display flv's and avoid many of the problems caused by importing flvs is to use the flvplayback component.

• 2. Re: optimizing movie clips
            Adscp Level 1

thanks kglad

i need to tween the clips (scale or move) so i think i need to import them on the timeline but not 100% sure.

i have about 8 clips movieclips on the stage that are moving and tweening. how can i manage this without the file getting weighed down?

• 3. Re: optimizing movie clips

you can tween an flvplayback component.

• 4. Re: optimizing movie clips
                Adscp Level 1

thanks i will try that

does that mean i have to upload all the video files as well? the files are about 2-3 mgb each. will that slow down play time? should i try to reduce the size of the videos somehow? if so, how?

thanks!

• 5. Re: optimizing movie clips

yes, you'll upload all the videos to your server.

the flvs will not slow play time.

the size of the video files is irrelevant except to determine the duration of the videos.

what is more import is the video's bitrate.  the greater the bitrate the higher the video's quality and the greater the user's download capacity required to prevent video stuttering while downloading.