6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 10:07 PM by scorbobby

Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny

scorbobby Level 1

Hello.  My OS 10.4.11 macmini crashed.  I had had web data backed up.  I installed Dreamweaver 8 on a new MacBook Pro OS 10.6 and transfered the backed up data an expternal hardrive.  When I used my finder to attemp to open local/html It opened the actual web page not the Dreamwearver window.  The icons in my Dreamweaver finder file don't have the little "D" icon; instead they have what looks a little like a Quiktime icon, square with a blue graphic in its center (very small and hard to make out).  My web site is functioning perfectly. so I'm thinking the correct data is there somewhere, and I can reset up my local and remote files so I can get back to work (the local and remote file are not set right, either). The Dreamweaver did open, but the file pages weren't right; the local and remote files were'nt visable.  If my site (www.scorby.com) still works fine, I'm thinking that this is not a lost cause.

Can anyone please help me?

• 1. Re: Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny
          370H55V Level 4

Click on any of the html files and then click File>Get Info

In the info window, open the panel that says Open With

Choose DW8 as the application to open it and then click Change All

You may be prompted for a user password, but it will set DW8 as the default application for html files.

You may have to reboot for the icons to change  back to DW document icons, but they should open right.

• 2. Re: Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny
            scorbobby Level 1

Awesome, Thanks for your help.

I have 2 more issues:

1. In the files window I am unable to show the remote and the local files (the window where they are side by side).

2. My website has been worked on and changed since my computer crashed.  The currently published website reflects those changes.  But, when, through my finder, I open Dreamweaver design pages (index.html for instance), old pages appear.  Since the site currently on the web is running correctly, and does reflect the newer pages, I wonder whether or not I can retrieve the pages with the changes I've made.

• 3. Re: Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny
              370H55V Level 4

Have you set the site up and can you access it through DW?

If so, just move your contents from the site root folder to another location (don't delete them yet).

Then connect to the server, and download what's on there now. It will fill your site root folder and you'll have both versions to compare. Keep the one you want, and then dump the other.

And I've never been able to view local and remote files at once, since one is on my HD and the other requires a server connection, I doubt it can be done.

• 4. Re: Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny
                scorbobby Level 1

Before my computer crashed, my sight was set up. Because of you (thanks) I can get to pages through my finder, but in DW I used to go to  windows>files and a window would come up showing the local files.   When I'd get there, there would be a button on top of that window that would let me open the  remote files so they'd all show on the left.  On the right would be  listed the local files, and on the left would be listed to remote  files.  On this page would also be the upload arrow button on top.   Either way, once I had the file window open that listed my local  files, I could scroll down the list and open any of the DW pages.  I  can't even get the local files column to show on my file window.  The file window I do get lists: CSS, applications,tag inspector, files, and history.  Under files there's a pulldown button that used to list my home site.  That choice is gone.  I'm sure it's  simple, but I can't figure it out.

• 5. Re: Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny
                  370H55V Level 4

"I doubt it can be done..."   I stand corrected... self-corrected no less.

There's an icon for it in the files toolbar (at least in CS4 - see attached) you click it, and then connect to show the remote

files beside the local.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Computer crash Upgraded to OS 10.6/ backed up data & files funny
                    scorbobby Level 1

Hey CowboyInAZ,

I got my DW up and running.  I totally appreciate all the help you gave me.

Robert (AKA: scorbobby)