4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 6:59 AM by Szalam

Basic workflow questions

brettr2

I have several videos (.mov files) and photos I'd like to string together into one video.  I will also add an audio track and some compositing, which will mainly be text that introduces the next section of the video.  If it weren't for the text, I'd probably do everything in Premiere but I'm not sure which way to go now.  What type of workflow would be best to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Basic workflow questions
          TimeRemapper Level 4

If you're only adding simple text, and you're already familiar with Premiere, then I'd say just do the work in Premiere. If you're after a more complicated effect for the text, or you want to use After Effects for some other reason(s), then the (simplified) workflow would involve:

• importing the assets
          • creating a composition
          • sequencing the assets within the timeline of that composition
          • adding your text layer(s) (animating as needed)
          • rendering
          • compressing (as needed)

If you're new to After Effects, check out Todd's blog about some tips on getting started.

• 2. Re: Basic workflow questions
            brettr2 Level 1

Thanks.  Are Titles the only way to add text in Premiere?

• 3. Re: Basic workflow questions
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can import PSDs and images with Alpha channels just as well. The problem remains the same, though - just like titles, they are merely static slates that can be faded on and off, wiped on with transitions or treated with what limited transforms and effects Premiere offers for this. So if you are looking for fancy, detailed text animation or any such thing, AE should be your preferred tool.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Basic workflow questions
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with the previous posts. Premiere is a much better tool for editing than AE. I would do one of two things.

Do your edit in Premiere and import your Premiere sequence into AE to do the text animations.

OR

Create your text animations in AE, render them out as a Quicktime using the Animation codec with RGB+ (RGB and Alpha), import them into Premiere and add them to your edit.