19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 4:23 PM by PaulieDC

Problems With Video From a Still Camera

Mitchell Small Level 1

I am new to Premier Pro CS4, so this may just be a simple newbie thing . . .

I have a series of videos taken with a Nikon Coolpix series non-video camera.These are all in an AVI format. Premiere recognizes the video, no problem, and the Info tab in Media browser tells me that the file is 30 fps with a frame size of 640 x 480 (1.0). I presume this last number means square pixels.

When I try to view the video from within Premiere, the audio track is fine, but the video stays static for a while, then jumps a few frames and stays static again.

I thought this was frame rate problem, so I payed closer attention to settings in creating the project. So far, nothing has made a difference.
      Is there a way to overcome this problem? Since I don't have a video camera (yet) but do have lots of these type of AVI files, I'd like to be able to do something with them in Premiere.

• 1. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Run one of those AVI's through the free utility, G-Spot. They are probably MJPEG. You will need to install either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC to use these files. If they are something else, please post a screen-cap of G-Spot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you more background on "wrappers," like AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV, etc.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are the links to the Morgan and to the MainConcept CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                Mitchell Small Level 1

Here's the screenshot from GSpot. I appreciate you helping me interpert this as it says I have the codecs installed. I did read the post on wrappers, but I'm still digesting it.

• 5. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that. It shows the CODEC as MJPEG (Motion JPEG), and either the Morgan, or the MainConcept should work fine for that footage. Most of the Nikons do shoot MJPEG, so that was my guess.

Another guess would be that the MJPEG CODEC that you have might not be doing the full job. Here's an ARTICLE on CODEC's, though it just hits some "high points," as nothing can cover the full spectrum of CODEC's, especially as they change quarterly.

Good luck, and please let us know how either of those CODEC's work for you.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                    PaulieDC Level 2

Hey Hunt, you know I shoot the 5D Mark II and use NeoScene to convert my .mov's to AVIs that smoothly edit. But I've heard from a few folks that raw video from our cameras can be converted to an editable format using Adobe Media Encoder. If the codec install doesn't completely fix the issue, maybe AME is a good solution. I've never tried it before being I already paid for NeoScene, but do you know how to go about that? Just curious!

Paulie

PS: only 6 more weeks to AZ! Was 10 degrees yesterday morning, getting tired of that...

• 7. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

PaulineDC,

I had not heard about using the RAW video through AME. Interesting. If you get around to trying that, maybe add it to your 5D/7D & Neoscene article.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - we've been a bit cool, and actually damp, for the last two weeks, with more of the same to come. If this keeps up, late Feb and Mar should be spectacular for wildflowers. We're already seeing some native grasses sprouting on a few of the mountains around town. In years like this, they look like they have a green carpet spread on them - lovely. Move safely.

• 8. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                        Mitchell Small Level 1

Paulie, your idea of using the Adobe Media Encoder sounds interesting. Right now I only have AVI from MJPEG as my video format, so if I can do this with tools I already have, I'd be much happier than having to buy another application. The price is hardly killer for the two apps mentioned, but if I don't have to spend for it . . .   then again, I use REA Converter for my stills because it is easier to do batch conversions than PhotoShop.

Can you give me some guidelines for trying the Media Encoder? As I said, I'm brand new to video.

• 9. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mitchell,

I've not used PaulineDC's method, but just wanted to point out that the two linked files are for the installation of CODEC's (either should do the job) for handling MJPEG. It might be worthwhile to see which MJPEG CODEC you have. Obviously, G-Spot found one, hence the message, "CODEC's Installed." In the Tables tab, G-Spot will list your Video CODEC's. Do not be alarmed, when it reports issues with the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's, as this is a "false positive," due to the naming convention of those CODEC's. Sherlock the CODEC Detective will give you the same false positives.

In PaulineDC's case, the files from her Canons are MP4, in a very slightly modified wrapper with some tweaks to the normal H.264 CODEC. Personally, I wish that both Canon and Nikon would ship the exact CODEC's, that they use, so the user could just install those exact CODEC's for use by their NLE program. The same goes for dozens of other cameras' proprietary CODEC's, but I'll now get off of my "soapbox."

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                            PaulieDC Level 2

I admit Hunt, sometimes the CODEC thing bewilders me also, but ultimately finding the right codec is the way to go.

Mitchell, so as not to confuse, Hunt is emphasizing getting the right codec on your PC so your native video clips will edit smoothly. My approach is the other end of the stick: forget finding a CODEC, instead use a utility to convert your raw footage to an editable AVI that will utilize whatever CODEC governs the AVI world. That has it's drawbacks, because for one, you're converting a file format, so is there any loss of image quality? The other problem is that a typical raw file of 1GB usually turns into a 2.5GB AVI, so you have bigger duplicated files to have to manage. Wouldn't it be nice to just use your raw file out of your camera? Well, with the right CODEC... amazing how that works.

So, let's just go down the conversion road for a minute. It's some extra work and file management, and that needs to be considered. And, conversion can degrade a file, so that means that you need to use a good converter if you go that route. My 5D Mark II clips are 8-bit 4:2:0... I use NeoScene to upsample them into a 10-bit 4:2:2 AVI file (not purposely, that's just what NeoScene does). I think the added info to interpolate the video up to 10-bit basically just keeps it from degrading. My clips look just grand, no worse than raw. Good enough for me. BUT, it's an extra $99 for NeoScene from VideoGuys.com. Isn't there some way to do this with our current tools? Well, I was blabbing about NeoScene one night on here, and one of the Adobe fellas, Dennis Radeke, piped on and asked me, "why not just use AME to convert your files?". So that tells me it's a possibility, although Dennis hadn;t actually tried it yet. That's up to ME, so I'd better give that a whirl tonight. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Then there is option #3: Somebody piped on the forums and asked me "Why don't you just use the Canon ZoomBrowser software to convert your files to AVIs?... it comes in the box with your camera". I didn;t even think to see what Canon offered, who uses software that comes with a camera anyway??? But evidently Canon has provided this. SO, I suppose I can check that out also, which means that you may want to rummage around in your camera's box and see what software is bundled in there.

In the meantime I'll try AME tonight. However, if you can find the right codec and you get it all to edit smoothly, let us know!

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                              PaulieDC Level 2
                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

If this keeps up, late Feb and Mar should be spectacular for wildflowers.

I was talking to the HR rep in Phx yesterday and he was telling me about the potential desert bloom... sounds good to me and my camera! The "stills" side of it that is...

• 12. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                Mitchell Small Level 1

Thanks to you both for the advice. I'm going to have a whack at it again this evening.

Slightly OT, but this reminds me of my first experience with RAW and the revelation that RAW is not a universal RAW.

• 13. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                  Mitchell Small Level 1

Stop it, Pauile, you're making me jealous!

I've lived in both Tucson and Phoenix, over 20 years between the two cities, so I know how beautiful the desert can be. Now I'm shoveling three feet of Partialy Cloudy from my driveway

• 14. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                    PaulieDC Level 2

I remember last year at this time, going to work in the morning (near Cincy)... it was -5 and the wind made it feel like -16 (I took a screenshot of the WeatherChannel app on my iPhone). Walking into work, the wind whips off of the lake out front, and you literally feel your head start to freeze. I don't mind cold, but the wind is the worst!

"Shoveling 3 feet of Partly Cloudy..."  <-- lol!!

• 15. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                      Russell_MTL Level 1

Mitchell Small wrote:

When I try to view the video from within Premiere, the audio track is fine, but the video stays static for a while, then jumps a few frames and stays static again.

Mitchell,

I had the same problem last week (I'm a newbie too) and the kind folks here pointed me to the MainConcept or  Morgan CODEC solution. I went with the MainConcept one and installed the Demo.

From what I can tell the demo version only adds a 'watermark' when it's used for output you choose to use it with. So far with any output I've done (FLV, F4V, WMV etc..) it's not been needed. But for viewing and editing the AVI files from my D3s (which are M-JPEG) it just works, and afaik the 'demo' never expires.

Here's the link:

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/demo-version-789 .html

BTW: This is just passing on tips I've learned from the more talented folks here.

Russell

• 16. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                        PaulieDC Level 2

Hi Gang,

Well, not great news... I did use AME to convert a 500MB 5D Mark II .MOV file to AVI, first uncompressed and then "regular" AVI. On both I set the size to 1920x1200 to match the raw file and then let 'er rip. The first AVI was 21.5GB, and the other one weighed in at 18.5GB, all from a ½ GB file. OUCH. And worse, CHOP CHOP CHOP, no smooth editing.

Unfortuantely, NeoScene is camera model specific I believe, so Nikon folks aren't helped there. Here's what I don't understand: My i7 rig with 12GB of ram plays my raw .MOV QT files totally smooth in both QuickTime and Windows Media Player. But when I plunk them into Premiere CS4 just raw, the video stalls or gets choppy yet the audio is fine. Once I convert the .MOV to an AVI with NeoScene, everything edits fine. The file size doubles, but that's better than 500MB --> 21GB! So why does the video get choppy in Premiere but plays ok in QT and WMP? And what will help the Nikon shooter? Is this where the right CODEC comes into play?

• 17. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

PaulieDC,

Thanks for testing and for reporting. Even if the news is not great, it might save others having to jump through the hoops.

Appreciated,

Hunt

PS - rain in the desert tomorrow...

• 18. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                            09OP

Have been following this forum and looking for info on codec's for Nikon's D3s camera. We use PC's and tried the Adobe Media Encoder and may have found a solution. Sure it fattens up the file (7X the size), but it works.

• 19. Re: Problems With Video From a Still Camera
                                              PaulieDC Level 2

09OP, that AME test I did in Feb may be a moot point now that CS5 and the MPE are out. I still use NeoScene with CS5 because I get an interpolated 10-bit file from my native 8-bit, so I have some extra latitude for grading in Post, BUT, the AME trick may work better now with CS5. I should try that. Glad you're getting good results. Amazing how much has changed in just two years! People would discuss tape much more often then... tape... hmmmm, you RECORD with that??