8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 5:59 PM by BANDO Designs

An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information

Jonnyb2306
      Hi folks,
      I used to be ab le to connect Dreamweaver to my FTP, but now when i start Dreamweaver and try to connect to my FTP to do some work, when i click to connect, after several minutes where a retreiving remote folder information window with progress bar is filled, it reaches about 9/10 full then displays an error msg. It says:

An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
      Dreamweaver encountered an internal data error

Using the PC and GoLive, and the same login details, i can connect without problems, and also save the changes to pages in seconds, wher as Dreamweaver seems to take about 90 secs to simply save a page that had a full-stop added.

Anyone any ideas - its doing my head in!
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
          Level 7
          First thing to try is to enable passive FTP in your site definition. Does
          that help?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"Jonnyb2306" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fdtrsv$sa6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi folks,
          > I used to be ab le to connect Dreamweaver to my FTP, but now when i start
          > Dreamweaver and try to connect to my FTP to do some work, when i click to
          > connect, after several minutes where a retreiving remote folder
          > information
          > window with progress bar is filled, it reaches about 9/10 full then
          > displays an
          > error msg. It says:
          >
          > An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
          > Dreamweaver encountered an internal data error
          >
          > Using the PC and GoLive, and the same login details, i can connect without
          > problems, and also save the changes to pages in seconds, wher as
          > Dreamweaver
          > seems to take about 90 secs to simply save a page that had a full-stop
          > added.
          >
          > Anyone any ideas - its doing my head in!
          > Thanks
          >

• 2. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
            tmcclell
            I am having the same problem. I installed CS3, got it working with a number of sites (all on the same ftp server). It worked as all the previous versions of DW I have ever used-Just hit the button. Then, a few weeks ago, it quit working. Now when I hit the connect button the operation times out in about 2 seconds, and the message "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to the host. No response from the server. . . . " Then a list of possible reasons for this follows. This happens with all the sites I have. I have tried passive ftp and no passive ftp. I have tried changing all the settings in the site management dialog box but nothing makes a difference.

I can connect to any of the sites using ws-ftp, cute ftp, fire ftp in firefox, and internet explorer. I have made sure that the ftp settings including passive and ports are the same for DW as the other ftp clients.

I am usind DW CS3 on an xp64 system.

Any help would of course, be appreciated.
            • 3. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
              Klytus
              Exactly the same situation here. I was having little trouble connecting before, and suddenly I can't connect to any of my sites on one particular server. Sites hosted elsewhere, I can connect to. Using other FTP programs, I can connect to all of my sites. And my coworker using Dreamweaver 8 can connect to everything. So, the problem appears to be limited to one server (ATX) and Dreamweaver CS3 only.
              • 4. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
                ginckgo
                Same here. I used to use Adobe GoLive 6 and still use it to connect and upload to the ftp servers (I have two separate ones for different sites). But with Dreamweaver CS3, which I purchased in September, it always comes up with an error message ("an FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. Your login or password is incorrect"). I am using the same settings as for GoLive, which work without a problem. I've tried with and without passive FTP; I've tried variations on the login info; I even contacted the ftp host; I can't think of anything else.

This sounds like a serious and not uncommon issue Adobe. Can someone please figure out why this is happening. Otherwise I'm tempted to switch to Coda.
                • 5. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
                  tmcclell Level 1
                  Well, I finally got mine to work consistently but am not sure that my solution will help others. It seems that my install of dreamweaver, for some reason or other, occasionally changes one of its simple but critical settings-the one that determines how long dreamweaver waits for an ftp connection. It keeps getting set to 2 as in 2 seconds. If it can't make a connection in 2 seconds, it times out. I set it to 60 and now the problem is gone. It does get set back to 2 once in awhile but, setting it back to 60 is pretty easy and it only happens once a month or so.

Its under preferences-site-ftp time out. Set to something around 60. Did it for me.
                  • 6. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
                    Klytus Level 1
                    Worked for me, too. Thanks, tmcciell. I'm guessing the CS3 upgrade defaults to that 2 second time out, which is ridiculous. In my situation, though, I'd installed no upgrade. Dreamweaver just seemd to randomly switch from 60 seconds to 2 seconds for the timeout.
                    • 7. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
                      ReggieByrum
                      quote:

Originally posted by: tmcclell
                      Well, I finally got mine to work consistently but am not sure that my solution will help others. It seems that my install of dreamweaver, for some reason or other, occasionally changes one of its simple but critical settings-the one that determines how long dreamweaver waits for an ftp connection. It keeps getting set to 2 as in 2 seconds. If it can't make a connection in 2 seconds, it times out. I set it to 60 and now the problem is gone. It does get set back to 2 once in awhile but, setting it back to 60 is pretty easy and it only happens once a month or so.

Its under preferences-site-ftp time out. Set to something around 60. Did it for me.

OH MY GOSH!!!! I was having the EXACT same problem and your solution fixed my problem also! I've pulled my hair out - literally - for over a week now because of this stupid thing. Mine was set at 2 seconds also. I set it to 30 and presto! An FTP connection! THANKS!!!!!!!
                      • 8. Re: An FTP error occured - cannot get remote folder information
                        BANDO Designs

did work for me :S im using dreamweaver cs5.5