2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2007 6:52 AM by hellerbrewing

Inserting video into swap images

hellerbrewing
      I am designing a website for my company, first off let me say that I am a science person and by no means a professional when it comes to web development or video editing.

In one of our meetings, it was suggested that we add a rotating globe to the main swap image of our website. You can look here to see what I am talking about: http://members.cox.net/steve.heller The difficulty in doing this is that fireworks allows you to insert an image into the swap image, but not a video or animated GIFF (AFAIK). So, I found a decent video of a rotating globe in MPG2 format and I pulled an image from the video every 0.5 seconds. I took these 60 or so images and resized them in photoshop and inserted them each individually into the swap image using fireworks and numbered each image sequentially. I then took all the images and created an animated gif in Ulead gif animator. This process seemed to work, but it was somewhat choppy due to timing of when it transitioned into the last frame of the gif to the first one, not to mention it was incredibly time consuming.

It turns out that the committee didn't particularly like the globe so they wanted me to find something else. I stumbled on the 2 versions of the Global Intentions Motion Design Elements from Digital Juice and I had my purchasing guy get them for me. We settled on 2 globes that everyone seems to like and now I need to move forward with getting these globes into the swap images, I am just thinking that there has to be an easier way to achieve this than the method I tried before. The Juicer software that comes with the motion design elements lets you render the video to a number of different video and sequential image formats. Anyone have an idea?
        • 1. Re: Inserting video into swap images
          Level 7
          hellerbrewing wrote:

> In one of our meetings, it was suggested that we add a rotating globe to the
          > main swap image of our website. You can look here to see what I am talking
          > about: http://members.cox.net/steve.heller The difficulty in doing this is
          > that fireworks allows you to insert an image into the swap image, but not a
          > video or animated GIFF (AFAIK).

You can use an animated GIF but not an AVI.

I then took all the images and created an animated gif in Ulead
          > gif animator.

Why didn't you animate it in Fireworks? :-) Fireworks produces very good
          animated GIFs.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Inserting video into swap images
            hellerbrewing Level 1

>You can use an animated GIF but not an AVI.

What PNG orJPG? Juicer (digital juice program) allaws you to render to PNG, JPG, or PSD (maybe BMP).

>Why didn't you animate it in Fireworks? :-) Fireworks produces very good
            >animated GIFs.

I have been trying to figure out how to do this, can you get me headed in the right direction? I am a complete beginner when it comes to fireworks.

Will fireworks allow you to add a black background to the GIF once it is animated? The globes from DJ have a separate alpha channel which I think means that the background is a separate layer from the globe. ...or am I going to need to make the changes to the frames in photoshop prior to animating?

Also, is it possible to insert the animated GIF into the swap image or am I going to need to insert the frames one at a time and then animate them.