7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 7:15 AM by Harm Millaard

Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...

PaulieDC Level 2

Hey Gang,

My i7 rig runs just grand for editing, no complaints. I peeked at the WE score and I got 7.3 or better in all categories except Primary Hard Drive (screenshot attached). I'm not looking to fix it (it ain't broke!) but I'm curious why Windows hates my hard drive. My guess is because I'm not running RAID for my OS disk. I'm running a 300GB Raptor, and all I have installed is Win 7 64bit, Production Premium CS4 and some plugins, and NeoScene. MS Office does NOT reside on this PC! It's got 219GB of 279GB free, so it's fairly lean, and I defrag regularly with O&O Defrag. Anyway, my guess is that 5.9 is tops for a single disk... am I pretty much on about that?

Paulie

(for the curious, I do run assets off of another disk, project files on another, and a third for scratch disks and miscellaneous junk... everything is 7200RPM Caviar Black except for the junk drive, I went cheap with a 7200 WD Blue. If it dies, no problem. Anyway, I have no RAID subsystems yet, but that wouldn't affect Primary HD score anyhow)

• 1. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The Velociraptor maxes out at a 5.9 score. I am not dissatisfied with my system's performance, still first place on the http://ppbm4.com benchmark and third place on the http://www.passmark.com/baselines/top.html results. Nevertheless, I have almost identical results to yours:

WEI.jpg

It seems to be the limitation of the WES. I would not attach any weight to these results. Possibly it requires an OCZ Colossus as a boot device to achieve a score over 7.0.

My laptop with MS Office only achieves 5.5 - 5.9 - 5.9 - 5.0 - 5.0 so is completely unsuitable for editing.

• 2. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Just out of curiosity, 60 GB of space used is way more than what I use.

It's got 219GB of 279GB free, so it's fairly lean, and I defrag regularly with O&O Defrag.

I have 35.5 GB used with CS4 Master Collection, Audition CS3, Ultra CS3, Flash CS3, Surcode, Pixelan SpiceMaster, MB Looks, SonicFire Pro, Movie Outline, Nero, and a whole lot of other utilities (like decribed in my favorite tools post) installed, so your description of pretty lean makes me wonder what else you have installed. BTW, I'm running Win7-64 Pro.

• 3. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
              PaulieDC Level 2

Good question Harm. I need to go on a file hunt and see what's bloating it. Microsoft Updates can be heavy, and all of the installation files for the updates are stored in the Windows directory in case you need to reinstall them (or that's how it was in XP), and they certainly can be deleted. So, I just need to go on a Seek & Destroy mission. i checked my profile and THAT'S 2GB, and I'm thinking "Huh? How?", I keep nothing in the "My" folders... I keep docs and regular pics and other junk on my junk drive. Weird. I bet Temp files are huge too. I'll see if i can lean it down. I probably should do that to my own waistline as well (they did say it gets tough in your 40s... why are "they" always right??).

• 4. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
                PaulieDC Level 2

Hey Harm, I did some cleanup of temp files, etc, but then I came across the two biggies: I had a 9GB Hiberfil.sys file and my paging file is 12GB to match my 12GB of ram (more on that in a min). The Hiberfil.sys file was an easy removal, I just ran the powercfg -h off command and away went Hiberfil.sys (yeah, I need a hibernation file...). But my question for you is the paging file. Do you keep yours at 12GB or whatever your ram is? I double it on 32-bit machines, but on this rig I just set it at the same as ram because of the size. How much do we really need on our rigs?

• 5. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I have 12 GB memory and keep my pagefile at a fixed size of 8 GB on my D drive and I don't use Hiberfil.

With those two files (9+12) taken out of the equation, your occupied space is much closer to mine (39 versus 35.5) so I agree with you that you have a fairly lean setup. Thanks for the information. This clears up any doubts I had.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
                    PaulieDC Level 2

Shrinking and moving that page file is the task for tonight! Thanks for noticing my hard drive space and saying something, that default Hiberfil file would have sat there unnoticed... Microsoft defaults are aggravating at times. And I've been wondering about the best way to configure the swap file when you have 12GB of ram, but just haven't had time to pursue it. If 8GB on a separate drive works for you, that works for me!

Thanks.

Paulie

PS: Hey, I'm still running my i7 920 stock (and my 1600mhz ram too, which defaults at 1066)... I suppose if I OC things up a bit it'll be even sweeter...

• 7. Re: Windows Experience Score - Primary Disk Low...
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Definitely. In my overclock article I mentioned my settings to help you on your way.