6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 12:35 PM by Russell_MTL

FAQ hard disk clarification?

Russell_MTL Level 1

In the FAQ's storage section Harm recommends "Use at least 3 different physical disks on an editing machine, one for OS/programs, one for media and one for pagefile/scratch/renders."

So if I'm exporting my video it's best to save it to the same disk that I've designated as the Scratch disk?

I recently pulled a third 300GB 10k WD Velociraptor (put it in another system) and am replacing it with a 1TB WD Black. Just want to be clear that it's preferred to export (render) my videos to this 1TB drive and also designate this same drive as PPro's scratch disk?

Russell

• 1. Re: FAQ hard disk clarification?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With 3x physical HDD's, then I'd choose the HDD with the Project and the Scratch Disks. In a perfect world, a fourth physical HDD would probably speed things up slightly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: FAQ hard disk clarification?
            Russell_MTL Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

With 3x physical HDD's, then I'd choose the HDD with the Project and the Scratch Disks

LOL... right now my project files and scratch files are not on the same drives. 'Disk3', that I recently pulled, was only for scratch: Photoshop, Bridge, ACR, PremierePro and any other apps that need scratch space. Work in progress (PS images and now videos) are on Disk2.

Are you suggesting that there's no advantage to keeping the project files with the original videos on Disk2?

Where I'm going:

Disk1: OS and Apps

Disk2: Work in progress (Photoshop, Original camera videos, PPro Projects

Disk3: Target for Videos being rendered + Scratch

Does this seem appropriate?

Russell

• 3. Re: FAQ hard disk clarification?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Russell,

With three HDD's, this would be my scheme:

C:\ OS, programs and probably Page File (one should test this)

D:\ media, and Asset files only

E:\ Projects, Scratch Disks and Export files

Now, on my workstation, I break it down even more, but I have 8 physical HDD's. However, when I am migrating my Projects between computers, I will use my FW-800 externals in the place of the E:\ above. It is not the ultimate fastest way to do it, but when you migrate/transport, it's the best way to go.

On my workstation, I have two 1TB SATA II's, that are ONLY for my PS Scratch Disks, and are kept pretty clean. When ONLY working on that machine, I will Export to a separate physical HDD for video, and one for audio, but I have plenty. I guess that in a perfect world, one would have one RAID _0 array for media, one for video Export and one for audio Export. I am not that advanced, and also do not do HD work (that is where the media RAID would be most useful).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: FAQ hard disk clarification?
                Russell_MTL Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Now, on my workstation, I break it down even more, but I have 8 physical HDD's. However, when I am migrating my Projects between computers, I will use my FW-800 externals in the place of the E:\ above. It is not the ultimate fastest way to do it, but when you migrate/transport, it's the best way to go.

On my workstation, I have two 1TB SATA II's, that are ONLY for my PS Scratch Disks, and are kept pretty clean. When ONLY working on that machine, I will Export to a separate physical HDD for video, and one for audio, but I have plenty. I guess that in a perfect world, one would have one RAID _0 array for media, one for video Export and one for audio Export. I am not that advanced, and also do not do HD work (that is where the media RAID would be most useful).

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks for the feedback Hunt.

Your disk assignment is pretty well where I was going except for Projects which up to now I've thought of as being something that did not grow nor shrink much - like PSD  files. I thought that, when rendering the final image, one disk should be reading the original footage (Assets/Projects) from Disk2, and the result (Export) would be saved on Disk3. And, yes, the OS pagefile should imo be left with the OS on Disk1.

I use hot-swapable external eSATA drives that I can plug into either of 2 bays and currently have 14 external drives, all for client files, doubled up on 2 drives each. So Disk 2 and 3 on the main computer are usually not very full as files are deleted when a job's done and they're moved to external storage.(2 HD copies + original camera files burned to DVD - stored offsite).

I do wonder why you would  assign 2 separate 1TB drives for PS scratch disks? I sometimes work on files up to 2 TB in size and have never grown a scratch file much more than a few hundred GB (if that..).Though I do set my history to 2-3 when working with such large files. This is a topic for the PS forum <g>.

Russell

• 5. Re: FAQ hard disk clarification?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Russell,

Bill said:

I second that approach, because even though there will be some queueing of disk access on exports to the E: drive, the encoding will be the bottleneck, not the disk queue. It also only happens once when you have finished your project.

• 6. Re: FAQ hard disk clarification?
                    Russell_MTL Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

In a perfect world, a fourth physical HDD would probably speed things up slightly.

I'm using an eSATA system where I can add up to 2 drives at any time. Would the 4th disk scenario have the Scratch disk separate from Render disk? I assume 'yes',  but just want to confirm.

Thanks,

Russell