3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 10:49 PM by Adobe-InDesign CS4

Creating a template to generate the PDF

RithanyaLaxmi

Hi,

I am newbie to Indesign, i have a task to generate the XML template , which should contain the respective tags for report generation with various layout, fonts, styles, etc. Whether it is possible to auto generate the XML through Indesign CS4 tool with the above the features. For example i have a column "EmpId" which should contain the following paragraph style:-

<EmpId>

<ParagraphStyle>
                <SpaceAfter>0</SpaceAfter>
                <LineSpacing>11</LineSpacing>
                <LineSpacingRule>wdLineSpaceExactly</LineSpacingRule>
              </ParagraphStyle>

</EmpId>

currently i am manually doing this, whether Indesign CS4 will generate these tags in a XML templHelloate by adding this feature from the tool or drag and drop ? so finally i can use the Java Adobe API to load this XML template and generate a PDF. I have done some research on this and i am unable to find a suitable examples .

I have lot of queries :-

1) Please do provide some examples also, to generate the PDF using Java Adobe API why we need a ORB ?

2) Whether it is a must to connect to the server? Currently i have downloaded Server SDK which contains the API to generate the code for PDF.

3) But in the HelloWorld example what i saw is we need to pass a IOR file to generate the PDF doc. So, whenever we need to generate a PDF , we need to pass the IOR file as well? So, that it will use the ORB to talk to server. Whether i need to install the Indesign server separately? I have downloaded only the SDK?

4) For HelloWorld program what is the IOR file i can pass, please do provide the sample IOR file which may work so that i can get some idea?

Please do shed some light into this as it is really urgent.

Thanks,

Rithu

• 1. Re: Creating a template to generate the PDF
          Adobe-InDesign CS4 Level 1

Dear RithanyaLaxmi,

I read your questions, Please be carefully read the Server SDK guides, then only you come to know the Full functionality of the InDesign Server - Java Based.

(*) IF you are using JAVA then below comments are read :

InDesign Server supports access to its functionality by exposing the InDesign Server scripting
          DOM as a set of CORBA objects. These InDesign Server CORBA objects correspond directly
          to objects in the InDesign Server scripting DOM. The CORBA objects are made accessible by
          compiling their implementations into a plug-in that InDesign Server can load at start-up. This
          plug-in, CorbaSupport, is in the <IDS>/Server/Corba directory.
          When InDesign Server is launched with the CorbaSupport plug-in, it enables CORBA support
          and publishes the user-specified CORBA object identifier (IOR) file for the Application object.
          A Java component can then instantiate a proxy for the Application object, using the published
          IOR file. Since the Application object represents the root object in the scripting DOM, the Java
          component can then access all the functionality of InDesign Server.
          For each element in the CORBA API, there is a corresponding Java class within the InDesign
          Server Java API. Once the Application object is read from the IOR file, it can be converted to an
          InDesign Server Java API object of type Application. From that point on, all interaction with
          InDesign Server occurs through manipulation of the InDesign Server Java API Application
          object’s tree.

Other than Java, this IOR is not required.

If you use a third-party plug-in that runs under InDesign Server and is scriptable, you can add
          the plug-in’s scriptable functionality to the CORBA support plug-in and the IDS Java API,
          enabling you to access the plug-in from a Java component. Instructions for regenerating the
          CORBA support plug-in and the IDS Java API are in Regenerating the Adobe InDesign Server
          Java API.

(*)      Ant — Another Neat Tool, a Java-based build tool.

(*)     Client — A requester of services from a server in a distributed computing system.

(*)     CORBA — Common Object Request Broker Architecture, a language-independent, distributed
                    object model.
          (*)      COM — Component Object Model, a technology facilitating interoperability between
                    applications and components.
          (*)      IDS — InDesign Server.
          (*)      IOR file — Interoperable Object Reference file. This is used by CORBA and its clients to
                    identify an object in the CORBA object model.
          (*)      IPv6 — Internet Protocol Version 6, the successor to IPv4. IPv6 is supported by InDesign
                    CS4 Server and later.
          (*)      ORB — Object Request Broker, a piece of software that implements the CORBA object
                    model.
          (*)      <SDK> — The path where you installed the InDesign Server SDK.
          (*)      Server — The provider of services in a distributed computing system.
          (*)      Shell window — A command-line window. On Windows®, use Command Prompt (located
                    in the Accessories folder from the Start menu). On Mac OS®, use the Terminal utility
                    (located in /Applications/Utilities).

(*)      SOAP — Simple Object Access Protocol, an XML-based protocol for exchanging messages
                    between programs and platforms. InDesign Server supports several versions of SOAP:
                    SOAP industry standard Versions 1.1 and 1.2 (RPC and doc/lit) and WSDL 1.1.
          (*)      WSDL — Web Service Description Language, an XML-based format for describing how to
                    access a Web service and what operations it will perform.

Please read \id6sdkserver\docs\guides...

All the best & let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Harihara SudhaN.T.R.,

• 2. Re: Creating a template to generate the PDF
            RithanyaLaxmi Level 1

Thanks Sudha, that was wonderful response and it is pretty useful to understand about the overall design how the application development is done with Indesign. My question is pretty simple, take an example of Jasper Reports in Java, we have an open source tool "iReport" which will generate the .jrxml template for you based on the title, layout, styles, images, icons, etc (these can be drag & drop from the tool). These are auto generated through the tool without any human intervention. Whether that is possible through Indesign CS4 tool ? I tried but in vain. If you see, it does have a feature only to import an XML and not to generate the XML template and there is also a Indesign Bridge, which does have a create meta template option , but i am not sure whether that will suffice my requirement by creating a XML template. The idea here is the auto generated XML template by the tool can be used as a decorator to display the content (in a format i what) in the PDF. Thats what i am looking for , i am not talking about the application development through the API , just the Indesign tool to generate some template with the styles, icons, images, headers, footers, etc with their respective XML tags. I have already given an example for this in my earlier post and that is what i m looking for. For eg, when i can add some paragraph style to an <empId> tag automatically the tool should add that tag in the XML template like.:-

<empId>

<Paragraph Style>

----

----

</Paragraph Style>

</empId>

Whether this is possible through the tool? I hope you got it.. Anyway thanks for your response, it is wonderful. Expecting a response from your side.

Thanks,

Rithu

• 3. Re: Creating a template to generate the PDF
              Adobe-InDesign CS4 Level 1

Dear RithanyaLaxmi,

Whatever you asked its possible to achive through "JAVA API - InDesign Server".

<empId>

<Paragraph Style>

----

----

</Paragraph Style>

</empId>

Whether this is possible through the tool? -> Yes its possible.

If you need more clarification and Source code, Please be contact the below mail:

tr.hariharasudhan@macmillansolutions.com

Regards

Harihara SudhaN.T.R.