7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 12:39 PM by Jacob Bugge

clipping mask question

r_tist Level 1

Hi,

Let's say I draw a shape over the area I want to mask off in order to make a clipping mask to remove the background of an image. Now, let's say there are bits within that image that will need to also be removed - not just the background outside of the image. How can the mask work with multiple shapes (if you see what I mean)? Or is one stuck with the ability to only use one main mask on an image?

(In Photoshop, this is simple to do, as you just create a different path for the various shapes and then delete the elements you do not need.)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: clipping mask question
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

r,

You may select both/all paths and Object>Compound Path>Make, and then use the Compound Path as the Clipping Mask.

If you tire of accidentally selecting the outlying hidden parts, you may, with the Mask selected:

1) In the Transparency palette/panel dropdown select Multiply (or anything else other than normal);

2) Object>Flatten Transparency (just leave the default 100% vector in the balance).

This will leave you without selectable outlying parts outside the Bounding Box; it may also destroy some vector artwork by outlining strokes, but leaves raster images unharmed.

Some may post here to say that all this is silly and should be different.

• 2. Re: clipping mask question
            Junk Mailer Level 3

Draw all the shapes you want to use for your mask. Then, select all of

them and subtract the inner shapes from the outer shape using the

pathfinder palette. Now you should be able to select your clipping shape

and the item to be clipped and make your clipping mask.

-JM

• 3. Re: clipping mask question

r,

Now you have two suggested ways of creating a Compound Path/Shape (the latter may be the result of the latter suggestion, depending on version, and be irreversible beyond Undoing, or should I say irreleasable).

• 4. Re: clipping mask question
                Junk Mailer Level 3

It should behave just like any other basic clipping path. Why do you say

it is irreversible or irreleasable?

-JM

• 5. Re: clipping mask question

JM,

At least in some earlier versions, such as 10, you have to take precautions (pressing Alt in 10) to avoid ending with a Compound Shape that cannot be released, as can a Compound Shape. So if you wish to change a Compound Shape governing the Clipping Mask, after you have run out of Undo options, there is no way back. It is nicer to hear than to see.

I never assume anything about the version used by the OP, and in any case it is often a good thing to cover the different versions for the benefit of other readers.

• 6. Re: clipping mask question
                    Junk Mailer Level 3

It wouldn't still be possible to direct select and edit/move/delete only

the interior shapes? My memory is a little fuzzy on the limitations of AI

10 and previous. I know my method is sound for version CS through CS4

anyway.

-JM

• 7. Re: clipping mask question

JM,

That will be possible, but you ill be stuck with a Compound Shape even if you delete everything but one path.