5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 2:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Jumpy playback in CS3

Karel Bata Level 1

Was a fix ever found for this? I did a search and found a mountain of posts all over, but no solution.

Everything worked fine here until I upgraded my video card to a GeForce 7600 GS now the playback window is jerky.

Tried re-installing, changing the pagefile to none, then to one, then back to two as Microsoft recommends. The computer partition it's on is only used for video editing, only loaded with Adobe software (plus stuff like Nero) and isn't connected to the net.

AE CS4 runs fine, and I've just re-installed Premiere Pro 2 which runs fine, but Premiere CS3 is still jumpy...

• 1. Re: Jumpy playback in CS3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Am I correct in assuming that you have only 1 hard disk drive that is partitioned? That is below minimum requirements and a bad setup.

• 2. Re: Jumpy playback in CS3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Karel,

The word "partition" is troublesome. Can you please give us the complete specs. of your computer, especially the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their size, speed, controller type and how you have them allocated?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Jumpy playback in CS3
              Karel Bata Level 1

Why would you assume I have only one hard drive?

On the machine I have in question I have 5 internal hard drives, two in RAID 0, with several tetrabytes of memory. Drive 0 has 3 boot partitions: music / video / intenet & everything else. All data is spread across the other drives, like sound on Drive 1, video on Drive 2, video render files Drive 3, etc.

I've been using Premiere for over 10 years. Not exactly a noob. Everything works fine here, and has been on this machine for 2 years, except for Premiere CS3...

I take it your response means you never got to the bottom of the problem of the CS3 memory leak..?

• 4. Re: Jumpy playback in CS3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I made no such assumption. What I was referencing was this phrase:

"The computer partition it's on is only used for video editing," [Emphasis mine].

When one talks of a "partition," then a logical assumption would be that one actually has a "partition." That was my concern. That is why I asked about the I/O sub-system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Jumpy playback in CS3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I take it your response means you never got to the bottom of the problem of the CS3 memory leak..?

Sir,

You have me at a disadvantage, as I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you point to a problem with a memory leak? I am totally lost. As I do not have CS3, I have never experienced any problem with a memory leak, and have never observed one in any version of PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt