• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can you use Captivate to record a software demo that you are viewing via a webex ?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to record a software demo being given over the Internet via a webex-type tool. Can Captivate be used to automatically record it (i.e., cursor movement, screen changes, etc.). I can record it using Print Screen but otherwise I don't know how to record the movement.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Normally tools like WebEx have their own means of recording. Highly suggested to investigate those. You could use Captivate, but the result is often less than satisfactory. You could use Full Motion Recording (FMR) but it would result in a HUGE file that you would be unable to edit for the most part.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, following up on what Rick's good comment:  I use Screen Recorder Pro which is excellent for this purpose. It creates a convenient .wmv (or other) file and can optionally include audio via whatever sound is going through your sound card at the time.

http://www.riverpast.com/en/prod/screenrecorder/

Frankly I like this better than some of the "built in" recording methods because I can easily navigate or even edit the recording afterwards.

Thanks.
John Daigle

Adobe Certified Captivate and RoboHelp Instructor

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John -

Thanks for the follow-up e-mail.

So ...just to clarify.....Screen Recorder Pro will capture the actions of

the mouse and the windows even though "you" (i.e., the computer that is

capturing via Screen Recorder Pro) is NOT the the computer that is running

the software being demonstrated?

Nad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand your scenario, yes. If you can see and hear it on *your* computer and you have the recorder on, it will capture exactly what is on the screen. One way to nail this down is to download their free trial and see if it fits your needs.

Thanks
john

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alternatives that might be worth looking at would be the free Camstudio or pricey but good Camtasia.

Sadly I can't tell you right now whether they'll record WebEx as we're having proxy problems with our WebEx account at the moment!

I agree that it's much better to record in a standard format like Flash or WMV or AVI rather than WebEx's own closed format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources