1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 1:15 AM by HarboSenior

Grep behaviour in InCopy CS3 doesn't match behaviour in FindChangeList [JS]

HarboSenior Level 1

Experimenting with the FindChangeList, I have been testing grep changes in InCopy until I have them working, then copy and pasting them into the FindChangeList.txt file.

In the case of searches involving paragraph or forced returns, I naturally have to delete the return and replace it with "\r" or "\n".

When I run the script, it fails to make the change although it works when I use InCopy's grep change dialog.

One example is:

"grep    {findWhat:"([\l\u])\r([\l\u])"}    {changeTo:"$1$2"}    {includeFootnotes:true... " etc.

Annoylingly, it is also possible to paste "findWhat" searches from the text file back into the program's grep change dialog and they find what I am looking for without a problem.

Not all the changes I have been trying have failed, so to my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the text file.

What's going on here?

• 1. Re: Grep behaviour in InCopy CS3 doesn't match behaviour in FindChangeList [JS]
          HarboSenior Level 1

Before posting my original message, I searched the forum for "FindChangeList" and found a couple of unsatisfactory messages and replies.

After I posted, in the "More Like This" section I spotted a lengthy dialog, with many "big guns" contributing. Its title began "Iconsistent behaviour with findchange "

The solution, it appears, is to use the RecordFindChange_CS3.jsx script in conjuction with the FindChangeByListCS4.jsx script, which does work with CS3.

I was surprised to note when using the RecordFindChange that the escaping "\\" of backslashes is required.

The list file I am using is being edited in Textwrangler and it is saved in Unicode (UTF-8) with Unix (LF).

Warned to avoid Rich Text format, I had been prepared to take a hammer and chisel to a quarry... That would have baffled the archaeolgoists, stoneage regular expressions.

After spending the bulk of a day's scripting on this, I hope this brief summary comes in useful to someone in my predicament.