4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2007 11:21 AM by TheOrangeMan

What fonts are uninversal?

TheOrangeMan
      There seems to be a very limited number of fonts that will show properly on all difffernt platforms, browsers and computers of different ages.
      Arial has always been a safe bet, but it seems that there ought to be more by now.
      Yet, when I try some others and then view them on my Mac and my PC, there isn't much that will look the same on both.

I'm trying to find a happy medium - a broader selection of fonts to use, yet still have some degree of confidence that it will look the same on most computers.

Any help would be most appreciated.
        • 1. Re: What fonts are uninversal?
          Level 7
          TheOrangeMan wrote:
          > There seems to be a very limited number of fonts that will show properly on all
          > difffernt platforms, browsers and computers of different ages.
          > Arial has always been a safe bet, but it seems that there ought to be more by
          > now.
          > Yet, when I try some others and then view them on my Mac and my PC, there
          > isn't much that will look the same on both.
          >
          > I'm trying to find a happy medium - a broader selection of fonts to use, yet
          > still have some degree of confidence that it will look the same on most
          > computers.
          >
          > Any help would be most appreciated.

http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/test/webfonts.html

Roy
          • 3. Re: What fonts are uninversal?
            Level 7
            Also, use font-families in your site CSS. That way, if font #1 isn't
            installed on the user's system, their browser will go to font #2, #3 or
            #4... until it finds one that is installed.

--Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

"TheOrangeMan" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:fdkkah$pao$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > There seems to be a very limited number of fonts that will show properly
            on all
            > difffernt platforms, browsers and computers of different ages.
            > Arial has always been a safe bet, but it seems that there ought to be
            more by
            > now.
            > Yet, when I try some others and then view them on my Mac and my PC, there
            > isn't much that will look the same on both.
            >
            > I'm trying to find a happy medium - a broader selection of fonts to use,
            yet
            > still have some degree of confidence that it will look the same on most
            > computers.
            >
            > Any help would be most appreciated.
            >
            >

• 4. Re: What fonts are uninversal?
              TheOrangeMan Level 1
              Thank you all.
              While it seems that cross browsers fonts are still rather limited, it's not as limited as it used to be or as limited as I thought it was.

Thanks.