8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 1:59 PM by John Hall

Trace problems

John Hall Level 4

I've been working for a long time on an AIR project in Flash Builder and I've not been able to trace at all. I'm getting tired of Alerting everything. Of course, if I make a fresh project with just a button, it traces OK. Any ideas what I might have done to actually prevent trace from working while Alert.show works fine in the same place?

• 1. Re: Trace problems
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I think recent builds have a way to strip trace statements out of a SWF.

Maybe you turned that on?

• 2. Re: Trace problems
            John Hall Level 4

Well I've hunted around for that setting and have not been able to find it. A curious symptom though. If I build a new workspace and import the project, it traces again (at least for the last two hours).

I had already tried many times clearing the cache, cleaning, deleting the bin-debug folder, deleting com.adobe.flexbuilder.codemodel, etc.

The only thing that seems to have helped so far is a totally fresh workspace. Does that provide enough info to get another clue or guess at what might be going on?

• 3. Re: Trace problems

It might be -optimize or the lack of the -debug flag or -debug=false.

Compare SWF sizes.  If there's a significant difference, then it might one

of those options.

• 4. Re: Trace problems
                John Hall Level 4

Oh well, one bad call returning a null object and it no longer traces again. Start over with a clean workspace, created all new AS files and mxml files copying over source mxml and as, works for an hour or two and bang. Something is obviously corrupt in my files but I'll be darn if I can figure out how it gets embedded if I create new objects and copy and paste plain ol text into the new source (for about 45 files - argh). I've tried many nightly builds going back to when the mx namespace changed and nothing helps. Works for a while then something causes a thrown error. I undo the script change since it was just tracing, re-debug and no trace. Alert.show works fine but wow is that a slow way to debug an app.

After each incident, I swear off nightly builds and tell myself I'm going to wait for the final product before I start rebuilding again, but then, by night, I'm curious and convinced I can figure out what's going on. I am, by nature, self-dillusional.

• 5. Re: Trace problems

Depending on your scenario, trace is also a slow way to debug.  Setting

breakpoints is usually better.  Are breakpoints working?  Also try floating

your own logging dialog and appending text to it and see if that works.

• 6. Re: Trace problems
                    John Hall Level 4

Fortunately, break points work fine. I'll try the other as soon as I figure out what you mean ;-) I do have a logger class that I used to use for Flash authoring. Is that what you mean? Create my own logging class and see if it intercepts messages OK?

Thanks for your time.

• 7. Was ... Trace problems ... Flex Logger
                      John Hall Level 4

I had a Logger class that I used to use in Flash. I don't want to rewrite it for Flex nor, if I can avoid it, do I want to take a sidetrip to totally understand the Logging Class. Have others used AS3 ThunderBolt or other 3rd party loggers that you would recommend?

• 8. Re: Was ... Trace problems ... Flex Logger
                        John Hall Level 4

OK, I got ThunderBolt working and it traces fine (though not in the Thunderbolt console unfortunately but fine in Eclipse console). So the logging framework catches messages but global trace doesn't. Just an fyi in my case. Using AIR, btw, if I haven't mentioned that.

So my next question is, I have been unable to get the logging framework to output to flashlog.txt. It shows up fine in the console but Thunderbolt has a nice console that reads the file in C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\Logs\flashlog.txt

I have the suggestioned mm.cfg file in the root of  users\MYNAME

but nothing seems to get redirected there. Anyone run into this and have suggestions? Windows 7 issue?

UPDATE: Finally Googled deep enough to find out that AIR puts a lock on the flashlog.txt on Windows. Off to the Mac.