8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 5:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Where are editable title files?

4&E Level 1

Without finding any editable title files in Premiere CS4, I'm obliged to start from scratch and build each new title without the ability to modify existing titles. If these files are supposed to have .prtl extensions, I can'f find any. Is that because I've not been saving them in some particular way, because I don't know where to find them, or what? All I find are the rendered .mov versions in my project's .PRV folder. If those are supposed to be editable, how do I get them into the titler?'

Thank you for helping.

JT

Oregon

• 1. Re: Where are editable title files?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Oregon,

The titles are saved within the PRPROJ (Project) file, as of about PrPro 1.0 (?).

If you wish to use them again and in other Projects, just Save_As_Template. They will then be available in any Project. You would just choose Menu>Based on Template, and then navigate to the Oregon\Title Templates, or the location of your choice.

Note: These will be in the PRTL format, which can ONLY be used in PrPro, or PrElements.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Where are editable title files?
            4&E Level 1

Many  thanks for the swift and very useful help.

I was able to access the earlier title as you instructed. To save a new title, from Adobe Help I was led to a Templates button right in the titler. I clicked on that icon and then on the tiny play button in the upper right. , then selected Import Current Title as Template. It doesn't seem to be precisely what you were expecting, but it did work.

• 3. Re: Where are editable title files?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I find it even easier to just double click an existing title and then click New title based on current title.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Where are editable title files?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I often use that as my "step 2," when working from my Template Titles. That allows me to only have to Save one version as a Template, and then I click that useful little icon to use Based on Current. Unfortunately, that little icon (oh, so very useful), is missing from Titler in PrElements. I feel for those poor users. I've almost worn that icon out on my PrPro...

Also, I think that I mentioned that the .PRTL format cannot be edited outside of PrPro/PrE. I would love to see that format added to Photoshop, maybe in their Extended version, and maybe for CS5? In lieu of that, I will often create my Titles in PS and Save_As .PSD for Import into PrPro. The limitation is that one then cannot load THAT .PSD into Titler, but one can create "overlay" Titles. I also use those .PSD's with Layers (Import as Sequence), to animate my Layers. This saves having to build up a Title from several discrete Titles, each of which can then be animated. Maybe it's a "six of one... " situation, but I rely on PS, when I need the Layers to animate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Where are editable title files?
                  4&E Level 1

Thanks, H.Millard--that technique is even easier, (once that title file is found, the technique for which was explained by B. Hunt.)

• 6. Re: Where are editable title files?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The only limitation is that one needs a Title in the Project to Base a New Title on. Those Titles will be contained within the Project file, so are not easily accessible (except by Importing one Project, into another) in the next Project. The Template route saves the "master" Title to ones Documents folder for later use in any Project. When I am pleased with a Title and anticipate usage of the basic elements, I will go the Template route. Then, from the Toolbar, I choose Title>Based on Template, navigate to my "personal/user" Templates, and choose the appropriate one. It can then be edited, as is required by that Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Where are editable title files?
                      4&E Level 1

Thanks, I can see that's more efficient.

JT

• 8. Re: Where are editable title files?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome!

Now, if we can just get Adobe to add editing capabilities for .PRTL files in Photoshop, and maybe Extended. Then, the world gets closer to perfect.

Good luck, and happy moviemaking - with Titles,

Hunt