6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 3:29 PM by robhoisan

After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue

robhoisan

Hello,

I encounter 2 problems in AE CS4.

1) When it opens is says "using 2% of 4GB".( I have 8GB of RAM). Altough, in memory&cach tab it sees my entire 8 GB of RAM.

2) It sees only 2 core from my I7 proccesor instead of 4 (or 8 eventualy)

My system is brand new,  spec are those:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz skt 1366 Nehalem

Video card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 275 Super OC 1.79GB
      DDR3 448-bi

RAM 8GB Kingston HyperX  (2GB*4)  DDR3 1600MHz

MBoard Asus P6T SE

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS

Please let me know if enyone has any suggestions.

Robert

• 1. Re: After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          > 1) When it opens is says "using 2% of 4GB".( I have 8GB of RAM). Altough, in memory&cach tab it sees my entire 8 GB of RAM.

"FAQ: Why doesn't After Effects see and use all of my RAM?"

> 2) It sees only 2 core from my I7 proccesor instead of 4 (or 8 eventualy)

When you say that it "sees" two cores, what are you referring to? What is the exact wording of the message that you're going by, and where is it?

One thing to keep in mind is that the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature uses physical cores, not the virtual cores available through hyperthreading.

BTW, here's a post that makes recommendations for some memory and CPU allocation settings to start out with:

"Performance tip: Don't starve your software of RAM"

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue
            robhoisan Level 1

When I access Edit > Preferences > Multiprocessing, in parenthesis it shows that my system has 2 core. It should normally state 4 cores.

Also it shows there that the RAM (around 7.4 GB) is distributed on 2 cores when i select Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously.

Why doesn’t AE recognizes that I have 4 processors so the RAM will be used in all 4 processes? Any idea?

I have AE CS3 installed on the same machine and in Edit > Preferences > Multiprocessing in parenthesis it shows that it sees al the 4 cores.

So only in CS4 i have this issue.

Thank you for your kind response.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

2) It sees only 2 core from my I7 proccesor instead of 4 (or 8 eventualy)

Did you correctly install the motherboard driver? Do other apps see all 4/8 cores? Is your Windows legit and activated? Cores disappearing is either related to BIOS settings (which your dedicated mobo driver uses to manage power and TurboBoost, so definitely install it, if you haven't) or Windows refusing to cooperate based on a wrong/ fraudulent license key. also check Windows Update. You may simply need some update to your .NET runtimes or some such thing.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue
                robhoisan Level 1

My soft is legit and activated, i already done all those things and searched for updates. No luck.

The only change i made to my system after installing AE is adding some extra 2GB of RAM, same categ as the other 6.

AE recognized before that all 4 cores. Don't know if it has any connection with that. Maybe it is because of the triple chanel thingh on my MB, not sure. I will add soon another 4 so it will be 12.

AE CS3 sees all 4 cores, np there. Other app see all cores too.

And what is Turbo Boost btw? Are you reffering about the TurboV option for overcloking in Asus MB? Or something else?

And i just read on Microsoft site that AE CS4 is not fully tested on Windows 7 64bit. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software& p=Adobe%20After%20Effects%20CS4%20%20Professional&v=Adobe&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=fter%20effects& os=32-bit Maybe that's one reason of the problem...

Enyway, today i will reinstall AE and give it one more try.

• 5. Re: After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turboboost is a on-chip feature that boosts clock rates based on workload. TurboV is just a tool to set this manually, so yes, on some level they relate... With regards to your memory you may indeed cause some odd behavior. Since the memory controller is build in the chip, using asymmetric configurations may disable a lane. That's probably the one big design flaw in the chip: It really wants all 3 channels to be outfitted with the same RAM...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: After Effects CS4 - core recognize issue
                    robhoisan Level 1

I did it! You are wright in a way, meaning that the cause was my OS. I had an idea and vverified the boot settings in msconfig. I unchecked "number of processor" and voila, restart and AE sees all 4 cores.

I don't know why was that checked but, if enybody has the same problem, this could be the solution. It worked 4 me.

I also measured RAM preview rendering time before and after this operation on one of my projects. 90% faster now.

Thank you for your support.