5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 3:07 PM by David_Powers

Cold Fusion:  Required?

tkarlmann Level 1

I am following Janine Warner's Dreamweaver CS3 training.  I was all set to consider the advanced training in the same training series for DW, and then I began to review the Course Outline and it appears to require Cold Fusion.  Imagine my dismay in discovering that my "includes everything" 'Master Collection' for CS3 does NOT include Cold Fusion, (CF)!  Not having the $$$$ for CF, I was wondering if it makes any sense to get the Advanced Training.  Thoughts?

I have some apps that might require a database-driven site, such as a Wedding Photographer client that I am wooing.  (LOTS of images, and they change frequently)  Do any of these extensions include the capability for ordering?  Think of the Wedding scenario:  friends & family will swoop in right after the Wedding to buy a few pictures, and will want to order them right online, and that business would fall away after a few months to be replaced by other weddings.

I think there are some other database-driven "modules" that DW will work with, but I am not familiar with them.  I think PHP, JSP, ASP, and ASP.net were mentioned.  I do have Microsoft Access to use as the database. Where can I find out more about these database-driven extensions to DW?  Are there any that are free?  Do any work like CF?  Which is the best?

Are there any other expenses I am unaware of needed for support for a database-driven website?  I do have lots of PCs, and a fast internet.

All thoughts appreciated.  I am am fairly new to using DW, but I am learning rapidly, and I have the time and motivation to learn.

Thom

• 1. Re: Cold Fusion:  Required?
          Ken Ford - Fordwebs, LLC Level 2

The Developer Edition of ColdFusion is free:

http://www.adobe.com/go/trycoldfusion

Ken Ford

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cold Fusion:  Required?
            tkarlmann Level 1

Re: Cold Fusion:  Required?

The Developer Edition of ColdFusion is free:

When I looked at distribution, I saw CF going for about $1000.  What differentiates the free from the $1000 versions?  (The link you posted was for a "Trial" version only).

Thanks!!!

• 3. Re: Cold Fusion:  Required?
              David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

The trial version and the "developer edition" are actually the same program. During the installation process, you select the option for the developer edition, which is free and has no time limit on its use. You only need to pay for a licence if you want to run your own server on the internet. It's aimed at hosting companies, and big companies that have their own dedicated servers.

However, before committing yourself to learning ColdFusion, you should do a bit more research into whether it's what you really want. ColdFusion is a powerful server-side technology, but as Paula says, it doesn't have a very large user base. Not all hosting companies offer ColdFusion hosting. If you're interested in developing database-driven websites, you might also want to consider the possibility of using PHP. It has a much larger user base, and is widely available on hosting companies.

Disclosure: I write books about PHP, so my viewpoint is not necessarily unbiased. ColdFusion is very good, and is relatively easy to learn (as is PHP). However, it's not easy to switch from one server-side technology to another, as I found out to my cost when I needed to switch from ASP to PHP when I realized that ASP was no longer being developed.

• 4. Re: Cold Fusion:  Required?
                tkarlmann Level 1

Thanks David ever so much for your answer here.  I am beginning to lean toward whatever the mainstream app is for dynamic website development.

Janine Warner says that CF integrates better into DW than others.  I suppose this is like Micorsoft apps working together albiet they seem to discourage other 3rd party apps from integrating as well as theirs do.  Is this true for PHP?  Well, OK, php.

Also, I asked this question on the php forum in more detail:  I'm also very unsure of what else I'll need: servers, Apache, other things.  Any advice?

• 5. Re: Cold Fusion:  Required?
                  David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

tkarlmann wrote:

Janine Warner says that CF integrates better into DW than others.

I don't think that's true. Two reasons:

• Adobe is developing ColdFusion Builder, an Eclipse-based program totally unrelated to Dreamweaver. It's currently available as a public beta. From what I've heard, it's aimed more at the serious ColdFusion programmer.
                  • The main book on ColdFusion, written by Adobe's Ben Forta and published by Adobe Press, is a massive 1,700-page three-volume affair. It devotes a total of 14 pages of working with ColdFusion in Dreamweaver.

I don't know what Janine's course is about, but I suspect there's a heavy concentration on what Dreamweaver calls server behaviors. These automatically generate code for basic database interaction. Dreamweaver has them for ASP, ColdFusion, and PHP. They're useful for rapid prototyping, but you should not rely on them to do all the coding for you. If you do, you'll be severely limited in what you can achieve. That's why Ben Forta's book concentrates on hand-coding ColdFusion. In my book, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP", I spend a lot of time working with the PHP server behaviors in Dreamweaver, but I also devote a lot of attention to explaining the code and showing how to customize it to suit a range of needs.

If you're going to use CF or PHP, you need to learn to understand the code. Otherwise, you'll never get very far.

As for what you need for PHP, see my article in the Adobe Developer Connection: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setting_up_php.html.