3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 12:00 PM by Jacob Bugge

cut out through the background

sofie_jobenco

I have a logo with a lamp + letters. The lamp and letters are brown. They are placed on a background of cirkels (orange and white).

The logo will be printed on a brown t-shirt. They want to save some money by only printing the orange and white. I need to cut out the shape of the lamp and the letters. They will not be printed, but as the t-shirt is brown, the cut-out-lamp and letters will be visible.

I tried with pathfinder and it works only the cirkel turns brown (as the lamp is) and I want it to keep its original features.

Can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: cut out through the background
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sofie,

It should work if you:

1) Select the lamp and the outlined type, group them and copy them as the cut part;

2) Select the orange parts and Path>Compound Path>Make;

3) Also select the lower copy of the cut part and Pathfinder>Minus front (Subtract from shape area in older versions, remember to press Alt/Option if necessary to expand);

4) Repeat 3), only selecting the upper cut part copy and the white rectangle in the background.

Remember to also print the (opaque) white beneath the orange.

• 2. Re: cut out through the background
            John Danek Level 4

It's actually easier than that, Jacob.  Since the lamp and letters are "non-printing" color, the artwork can be colored "White" ( knock-out ).  But, the Orange and White will have to be modified so that White is actually output as another Spot or process color ( i.e., Magenta or even Black and, then on press, swapped for White ink ).  Funny thing about silkscreen is a  "Spread" will have to be applied to the Orange.  There will probably need to be a "Flash" White applied because of the dark shirt color.  But the lamp and lettering will simply knockout of the composite.

• 3. Re: cut out through the background
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

John,

It's actually easier than that,

Indeed, and at a superior level, but maybe requiring more explanations, or even enabling errors, by the printer or even in Illy, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2565170