4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 11:17 AM by the_wine_snob

View video clip recording date in PRE7?

Hans026

Hello,

The recording date information of video clips is embedded in my AVI-file but how can I view it in PRE7?

There must be a better solution than to open the file in my old software (Pinnacle) where this information can be found easily.

The video was captured through firewire from a digital camcorder (DV).

Cheers

• 1. Re: View video clip recording date in PRE7?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

To the best of my knowledge, the date can ONLY be used in PrE, if your camera burns it into the video. That is the way that it is in PrPro. Now, in the Organizer, you can see the Metadata with the Date/Time, but I do not think that is what you are looking for, correct?

There is a utility, DVDate (actually, there are two programs by the same name, but I believe that the Russian program is the one that will add that to the footage), that might do what you want. Others use it for RunTime Counters, but I think that it will extract the Date/Time stamp. I never need that, and use PrPro, or AfterEffects to add RunTime Counters. Might be worth a look.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if Pinnacle Studio will do this, without the need for 3rd party software, you could run your footage through it, and then just Export as DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I use several other NLE programs as tools to do what PrPro, or PrE cannot do. Nothing wrong with having a full "toolbox."

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: View video clip recording date in PRE7?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just saw this THREAD in the PrPro forum. Be sure to see Jeff Bellune's reply (#2 IIRC).

If Jeff recommends any program, I take that as "golden." He mentions DV footage, so it should work for you. Do not know if its a plug-in (might not work with PrE?), or a stand-alone.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: View video clip recording date in PRE7?
              Hans026 Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply, Hunt.

I don't wish to have the date printed on the film, but in order to put clips in cronological order and also to mark the DVD's with dates I need to have this information available. When editing family footage from different years it can sometimes be hard to tell which easter or christmas you are watching.

BTW, I like your comment that it's OK to have different tools in the "toolbox". I was afraid that mentioning of other brands here was risky .

Cheers

Hans

• 4. Re: View video clip recording date in PRE7?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Hans,

I do not use the Organizer, so do not know all of its power and limitations, but think that you should have the Metadata available there. Depending on the camera used, that should contain the shooting date, provided that the calender and clock were set on it. Does that not work with this footage?

I feel your pain, as I had to transfer 34 VHS tapes for editing a series of DVD's for the client. Luckily, his VHS camcorder started each scene with a Date/Time imprint. Now, this was often edited out, when I did the post-production work, but I would just look at the 'master" Clip, jot down that info, and then Title with it, say "Liz & Page Christmas 1985." As I transferred, I also made a shot log with all dates, plus notes on each scene, so I had much of that stuff already. Obviously, there was no Metadata in these to use, but many cameras do have that info now. Do not know all of the situations where it might not be accessible, or by which programs.

Good luck, and maybe some Organizer "power-user" can fill in the blanks for us both.

Hunt

PS - Adobe is very lenient with mention of other programs, even direct competitors' apps. They seem fully committed to allowing the user the best possible experience, even if it means picking up a copy of ______. Most of us have all sorts of NLE's, and utilities in those "toolboxes." While I do use mostly Adobe programs, I have many others too. Some are highly specialized, and only get trotted out once per year. A few others see much more use, but even then, that usage pales to my use of Adobe products.