3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2007 1:23 PM by Newsgroup_User

Using multiple languages

Mike Crisp
      Hi

Just a general enquiry about feasability and difficulty.

I am part way through building a piece of software (not for net) and have been asked whether I can include an option to allow the user to select which language they wish to view the software in (8 languages inc English).

The client wants 'everything' to change i.e on screen graphics, and all text members.

What is the best way to do this.... I am sure I have seen / heard a method of changing casts (each cast having its own language members) but cant find anything on this forum. I would be grateful for any advice, hints, tips and pitfalls to be aware of from anyone who has done something similar

Many thaks in advance
      Mike
        • 1. Re: Using multiple languages
          Level 7
          Mike Crisp wrote:
          > Just a general enquiry about feasability and difficulty.
          >
          > I am part way through building a piece of software (not for net) and
          > have been asked whether I can include an option to allow the user to
          > select which language they wish to view the software in (8 languages
          > inc English).
          >
          > The client wants 'everything' to change i.e on screen graphics, and
          > all text members.
          >
          > What is the best way to do this.... I am sure I have seen / heard a
          > method of changing casts (each cast having its own language members)
          > but cant find anything on this forum. I would be grateful for any
          > advice, hints, tips and pitfalls to be aware of from anyone who has
          > done something similar

Google for
          director languages casts

e.g. http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=227
          http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-937338968/

Watch out for bitmap cast members changing name when you import them, if you
          have graphics named liked intro_en.bmp and intro_de.bmp and you rely on the
          cast member names - Director itself seems to just go by cast member number,
          so it only matters if you refer to them by name.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Using multiple languages
            Mike Crisp Level 1
            Thanks Andrew

I found the director on line link via google - it seem sto be fairly straight forward the only problem I have now is alot of text in alot of external casts in a mere 8 languages only one of which i speak never mind write !!

Wish me luck

Thanks
            Mike
            • 3. Re: Using multiple languages
              Level 7

"Mike Crisp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fcdilf$5po$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Andrew
              >
              > I found the director on line link via google - it seem sto be fairly
              > straight
              > forward the only problem I have now is alot of text in alot of external
              > casts
              > in a mere 8 languages only one of which i speak never mind write !!
              >
              > Wish me luck
              >
              > Thanks
              > Mike

Ok,
              good luck!

;)

Its do-able. Make sure you keep ALL language related stuff together (as far
              as possible/practical).

Avoid combining translated words to make sentences, different languages have
              different sentence structures.

Avoid putting text into images, more difficult to update.

Ah.... and remember to reserve more space for text. Some languages need more
              words/letters for a translation.

Also test the fonts you intend to use for all the necesary characters. Not
              good to find out close to deadline that your fancy font does not have all
              the Polish characters you need... :(

You do need people to check the end result, preferable native speakers with
              experience on the subject.
              I have come across a few translated software pieces, that were translated
              "by word or by sentence", but in the context it did not make any sense at
              all.

Richard.