17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 7:54 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!

ultimica06

Hello I am using IA CS4 currently...

First issue is the program freezes when trying to save files or it freezes in the middle of working on a file too!...why!!

Second issue I am getting error windows popping up saying I dont have enough RAM to complete an action..Which is false I have like over 2gigs of RAM.

Another is AI doesnt like HUGE physical files.....Why is that?...I thought it should be able to handle complicated files??

Thanks in advance for any insight or what I can do to get better performance.

• 1. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
          ultimica06 Level 1

So no CS4 users out there to help me???

BUMP!

• 2. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You appear to be assuming other CS4 users have encountered the same trouble and solved it via some CS4-related fix. They aren't jumping to the rescue because your issues aren't  necessarily CS4 problems. The behaviors you describe could be caused by corrupted fonts, failing memory modules, bad hard disk sectors, weak power supply, wrong memory management, shortage of scratch disk space, shortage of video memory, outdated drivers, or a thousand other things not connected directly to CS4.

Perhaps your system needs some troubleshooting, or maybe your lack of trouble in all other apps has you convinced it is indeed CS4. Either way, there's no way for your fellow users to make a diagnosis from their remote locations.

• 3. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
              ultimica06 Level 1

Hmm....

I am working on a Brand new computer that was custom made.

its got a

AMD Quad-Core proscessor at 3.0 ghz.

ATI Radeon 4800 HD Graphics Card

3 gigs RAM

Adobe CS4

Windows XP sys.

What other info else do you need?

with this computer I expected AI CS4 to work better than avaerage!....I get these issues!

I already uninstalled & reinstalled AI but still encounter the same issues.

• 4. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Sounds like you might have bad RAM.

Have you run memory diagnostics? Or just try swapping out RAM modules.

Of course, this is just a guess. No way for me to know for sure.

• 5. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Brand new system with 3GB of RAM,that's a joke…right?

And you do heavy Illustrator work and of course you must run other applications correct.

Let me ask you something do you know how much RAM your System uses?

What other applications do you run and how muh do they use?

What about your scratch disk? Does it have ample continuous free space to handle very complex files and large ones at that?

Brand new custom made computer means little if it is not configured for the workflow you require.

• 6. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                    ultimica06 Level 1

Thats the thing...

I have no clue if the Scratch Disk is properly configured to what I do!....LoL

Thus making this thread to get help WHY Illustrator is acting up!

Yea my supervisor built this computer with 3Gigs of RAM....I thought thats a good thing?

I use Illustrator & PhotoShop mostly at work.

Now using Dreamweaver & Flash as well..

I use Fire Fox browser.

• 7. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, I concur. "brand new system" and then Win XP and only 3GB of RAM don't go together. Additionally, since you are using an AMD processor, you already added a layer of complication. In any case, most likely your issues must be fixed outside Illustrator. So scour the Microsoft site for AMD specific patches in Windows Update, check your graphics card settings and all that. And by all means consider getiing Windows 7 64bit and more RAM. It's like you were trying to build a Ferrari but being measly about the fuel...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                        Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Ultimica06,

No body ones to talk about problems of CS4 version, because you will learn that Adobe DOES NOT CARE!. Almost 4 years without any updates.

What your are experiencing is the well documented CS4 Memory Bug that was reported about the same time CS4 was released and Adobe refuses to fix.

But not to worry, Adobe will soon sell you the CS5 version without any updates or patches. The same thing happen to all users that we bought CS3. Full of bugs and no updates. Some of the bugs were proudly transfer to CS4 (like no Icon preview, Extra Anchor Points, Font issues, etc.) and some are new like this Critical Memory Bug that Adobe refuses to fix.

CS4 crashes because considers a font corrupt (even when older versions can use them)

CS4 have problems Justifying text

CS4's Eye drop is unreliable

Etc., etc.

So your computer is fine, you just bought a lousy software from a lousy company.

You are not alone:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/513558?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/432976?tstart=990

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/488095?tstart=660

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477259?tstart=960

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/458237?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1256865#1256865

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1255002#1255002

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1253297#1253297

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2088297#2088297

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2014275#2014275

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2317200#2317200

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2180704#2180704

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2180704#2180704

So the new CS5 version is due this April, Are you going to buy it? Maybe you want to experience Adobe's Customer service:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/adobedotcom_feedback

Well I think this is an honest answer. Good luck to you!

• 9. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

OMG it's Hans!

How are you Hans? Feeling a little bugged today!?

Where as Illustrator CS 4 only requires 512 MB of RAM and so does PHotoshop CS 4 then recommended amount for both are  1 GB each s if using the recommended amount of RAM then you are using 2 GB out of the 3 GB available and some of that is being used by the system and some by probably a browser and e-mail client if you launch word for instance you're pretty much have stretched the system beyond its means.

Also requires a scratch disk with continuous space especially for large complex files.

And in spite of the minimum requirements and the recommended requirements stats try running these programs as such and you are not getting very far.

Hans it might be time you get realistic about using software on a personal computer or using computers period, they are machines and no one has the secret bullet to make them anything other than machines they need maintenance care and have to used in the right way.''Just because a knfe can cut a live electrical cable it might not be such a good idea to try and do it.

• 10. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                            shunithD Level 3

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Brand new system with 3GB of RAM,that's a joke…right?

Hi Wade... curious... why is that a joke?

shunith

• 11. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well first thing he works with large files from Illustrator and I assume also perhaps fro time to time complex files that is definitely going to challenge such resources, one would think if this is what one does one would want plenty of resources rather than buying the minimum configured system.

For instance the Mac is fairly slow when using only 4GB of RAM add 4 more GB and it is woking really well.

Especially Photoshop and Illustrator. Also Photoshop only uses 3 GB of RAM Maximum as does Illustrator if you are working heavily with both the math is a joke that is simply twice your results so if they need to draw more memory on the Windows side where do they get it from the system?

The system doesn't have it.

This computer was very good five years ago not today.

The OP's boss is simply a wise guy buying a custom made computer that save him a few extra bucks as opposed to buying it out of the box which they could have easily done and telling the OP it is a custom configured computer. The whole thing is a joke.

There is no room on this computer for running application of the future and being productive there will always be problems.

Laptops can now handle 8 and 16 GB of RAM iMacs can as well. 3 GB of Memory is a joke and using XP instead of Windows 7 64 bit is also a joke since everyone is moving to 64 Bit and lots more memory to have the resources to operate like one should be.

This concept that one can get by is silly especially if you are professional.

• 12. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                                shunithD Level 3

Thanks for the explanation Wade...I see what you mean...

Cheers,

SD

• 13. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You're welcome.

If the user (the OP) was not a power user of Photoshop and Illustrator I would think sure should be enough but the OP is a heavy user of these two programs and Illustrator requires a large scratch disk for large file and I mean a large one regardless of the documentation, well actually not so much large but a space that is continuously free to work well for these large files that means a dedicated scratch disk either a completely separate disk or a large partition of one. That is if you want to be happy.

The way I used to get rid of the not enough memory error was to optimize the partition I used as a scratch for Illustrator and Photoshop but mostly for Illustrator and by making the space continuous it seem to help Illustrator process the functions much better.

I doubt that this user ever has done any type of maintenance for any computer they have worked on and when over time it starts to show issues they really do not know where to look. To be a power user and not know about a scratch disk is a bit hard to believe.

• 14. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                                    ultimica06 Level 1

Welll it comes down to the $$$ issue ...Companies dont wanna spend extra MOney on upgrading software, thus reason I am using Windows XP still

I understand all you said!....

I know sorta about Scratch Disks...never understoof how to configure them to the needs I need...ya know!

• 15. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

ultimica06 wrote:

Welll it comes down to the $$$ issue ...Companies dont wanna spend extra MOney on upgrading software, thus reason I am using Windows XP still

I understand all you said!....

I know sorta about Scratch Disks...never understoof how to configure them to the needs I need...ya know!

From your response maybe it is not so hard to believe but as for a scratch disk what you need is either a dedicated hard disk or partition of such that you will not use for anything but temporary space that Illustrator uses when you are working on a dcument.

You select the partition or disk by going the the Illustrator Preferences and selecting Plug ins and Scratch disk there is  drop down you simply select either the hard disk you installed to be used as the scratch or the hard disk. I suggest 60GB of free space or more that yu will not use for anything else.

That is if you are using illustrator for complicated projects.

You do sound like you are a power user and you should know about scratch disks and your boss will have to pay to have at least one more drive installed but I suggest that maybe a couple of drives one so you can save your files to something other than the start up disk.

the one thing i should also mention this is not about money your boss is making money but does not appreciate that you will do better work and be more productive with better tools, this is about ignorance on their part. If you are running a pro shop run it like a pro. Iunderstand they might not be able to see it that way, but it doe not change the truth about the situation.

• 16. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                                        ultimica06 Level 1

I guess I am somewhat a "power user" haha..I like that term.

so currently my Scratch Disk is set:

Primary: "start up"

Secondary: "C:\"

That correct?

• 17. Re: A Few Issues with IA CS4...Driving me Nuts!
                                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That is the default which is based on the fact that it is more than likely being install on a computer with only one disk.

In that case it is probably the only way to configure the scratch.
                                          What you have to do is install another disk which should run at 7200 rpm or faster and i would suggest one withe a 32 MB buffer.
                                          You can partition a new drive  so that you can use part for files and keep one partition free as the scratch.
                                          What I mean by free is totally free of any files  or data of any kind.
                                          I will post a screenshot to help you  bit later